Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
What does it say that our last few coaches (Pete, Hynes, Lindy) have been hired immediately lol, that other teams think are GM's are morons for letting them go?

To be honest, I don’t think lindy was getting hired anywhere else if Buffalo didn’t do it. He and Adams have ties and are still fairly tight these days.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Because there’s a lot of pressure on this group to prove two years ago was the new norm and not just a fluke, and there’s a lot of pressure on Fitz specifically to fix the issues that happened under two different coaches last year (not to mention pressure to get coach #3 right). If we start next season with Fitz’s third coach and it looks like nothing’s changed early the pressure mounts on everyone even more, especially with fan dissatisfaction being palpable late this season and adding to it the embarrassment of losing to a coach cast off by everyone here.
The tension would be the there with or without Ruff being the coach against us. Ruff being the opposing coach means nothing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be honest, I don’t think lindy was getting hired anywhere else if Buffalo didn’t do it. He and Adams have ties and are still fairly tight these days.
I agree and I don't agree...I do think Buffalo was THE most likely landing spot by far, but I also think the NHL is a good old boys club that loves to recycle coaches and a lot of the pundits around the league think Lindy got a raw deal here due to goaltending and injuries. If they're thinking that, you know GM's are thinking that too.

Reactions: Billdo

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What does it say that our last few coaches (Pete, Hynes, Lindy) have been hired immediately lol, that other teams think are GM's are morons?

What does it say? It said our GMs made pretty solid head coach hires.

All NHL coaches get fired eventually.

An ex-HC coach never getting a HC job or NHL job again reflects much worse on a NHL GM.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why are we caring about Ruff beating us in games 1-2 of the season? As if it means anything.
I would be pretty alarmed if we lost the first 2 games of next season. No matter if it was Ruff, Travis Green or Jacques Lemaire coaching the other team.

Are we definitely playing two games over there? Or just one? It was just one regular season game in Sweden when we did this in 2018. I remember the Sharks and Predators playing 2 games there to start last year. I think the teams that do it in November usually play 2 games there. I think 4 teams went this past November and played 2 games each between themselves.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What does it say that our last few coaches (Pete, Hynes, Lindy) have been hired immediately then lol, that other teams think our GM's are morons for letting them go? Even Nas got an assistant job next to Pete on a contending team.
Hynes is the only one I'm flabbergasted got a job immediately. And by a team not too far removed from the presidents trophy and a cup finals at that.

I fully expected Ruff to go to Buffalo if he wasn't here next year, even if it was just as an assistant. The first post I could find talking about the Lindy reunion tour to Buffalo was April 3rd of 2022.

If we had fired him then, maybe they don't hire him, as I don't think Granato was on the hot seat yet.

But I seriously thought they would do this. Even if not just as an assistant. Teams do this a lot. Another example I didn't mention was Rick Bowness with Winnipeg, even though it's not the same organization.

Buffalo hasn't done well with these small time, nobody hires they've made since Bylsma.

Buffalo also brought back the guy that Lindy originally replaced in Ted Nolan some years back.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I would be pretty alarmed if we lost the first 2 games of next season. No matter if it was Ruff, Travis Green or Jacques Lemaire coaching the other team.

Are we definitely playing two games over there? Or just one? It was just one regular season game in Sweden when we did this in 2018. I remember the Sharks and Predators playing 2 games there to start last year. I think the teams that do it in November usually play 2 games there. I think 4 teams went this past November and played 2 games each between themselves.
We were all alarmed in 2022-2023 after losing our first 2 games. In the grand scheme of things it means nothing, whether it’s Ruff on the other bench or not. Feels like we like to overthink that stuff at times.

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
Because there’s a lot of pressure on this group to prove two years ago was the new norm and not just a fluke, and there’s a lot of pressure on Fitz specifically to fix the issues that happened under two different coaches last year (not to mention pressure to get coach #3 right). If we start next season with Fitz’s third coach and it looks like nothing’s changed early the pressure mounts on everyone even more, especially with fan dissatisfaction being palpable late this season and adding to it the embarrassment of losing to a coach cast off by everyone here.
So their FIRST two games of NEXT season which is 5 months away are must wins. lol.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fitz hired him as the associate to begin with, he had no connection to Lindy. Almost all of the associates have been bad (and Fitz choices) too except for Brunette and well, I don't really feel like having the argument that he wasn't in fact the main reason why we had 30 more points last year.

“Almost all of the associates have been bad”
Do you mean assistant coaches here? Because there’s been 2 associates.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

You can’t expect the first two games under a new coach to be amazing.

If you’re setting the bar at “never look bad or lose starting in game 1” you’re engaging in wishful thinking rather than reasonable expectations.

Our bad start reflected poorly on Ruff because it was his 4th season here.

A new coach can’t implement changes and have everything perfect by game 1.

You’ll need to show more patience than that.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
You can’t expect the first two games under a new coach to be amazing.

If you’re setting the bar at “never look bad or lose starting in game 1” you’re engaging in wishful thinking rather than reasonable expectations.

Our bad start reflected poorly on Ruff because it was his 4th season here.

A new coach can’t implement changes and have everything perfect by game 1.

You’ll need to show more patience than that.

DeBoer first season IIRC it took them til about Christmas time to really start humming. They were kinda up and down the first couple months.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
DeBoer is a good coach with some really bad warts that limit his time at each spot he goes to.

Hynes got Nahsville GM fired and they are finally cleaning up his garbage. He's now also dragged the Wild back into lottery land.

Ruff is a solid coach. Not the best but can surely go worse.

Anyone who hires Green clearly is gunning for lottery wins.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DeBoer is a good coach with some really bad warts that limit his time at each spot he goes to.

Hynes got Nahsville GM fired and they are finally cleaning up his garbage. He's now also dragged the Wild back into lottery land.

To be fair to Hynes (as someone who does NOT think he's a good head coach at this level) the Wild were a little better this year after the coaching change. They were already in lottery land before Hynes got to town this year.

They're a pretty mediocre team, handicapped by the Parise/Suter buyouts.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

David Poile wasn't fired and was the GM for the entirety of the predators existence. He also still is an Advisor in the Nashville organization.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What does it say that our last few coaches (Pete, Hynes, Lindy) have been hired immediately then lol, that other teams think our GM's are morons for letting them go? Even Nas got an assistant job next to Pete on a contending team.
It doesn't mean anything other than this league recycles more coaches than I do my cans and bottles. For whatever reason this league is wildly hesitant to think outside of the box and give coaches 3rd. 4th, 5th chances.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm expecting 82-0 or next season is a failure.

Evening trailing in just one game is pushing it

give me convenience or give me death

......put them headphones on it's bee bop time... i wanna tell ya a story about the last time i was in portland.

alot of people go to bed around here around 10:30 at night...

"tolerant oregon"

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You would accept some pathetic season like 81-0-1?!?
IMG_8044.jpeg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So their FIRST two games of NEXT season which is 5 months away are must wins. lol.
Not saying that, just don't lose both to Lindy Ruff who everyone from fans to certain players (cough Timo cough) to management ultimately held responsible for last year's disappointment. Even now fans are mocking the hire for Buffalo. You think the home woes this year were bad, the atmosphere at home would be toxic the minute they got back if they get pantsed over to that degree overseas.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad