Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
While the players involved in sexual assault need to be punished appropriately, I'd like to see them all get therapy as part of the punishment. They are all young and will likely be returned to society at some point. Apparently the sentencing limits for this crime in Canada do not include life in prison. Beyond just punishing them they need to be treated so they can learn why what they did is wrong and how they must be better people to enjoy the privilege of being part of society. If the only thing they learn from this is don't get caught the potential seed for even worse behavior in the future is planted.
I hope the Nike rep that enabled the whole think gets his due.

Where were the adults who should have been looking out for the players best interest? I really hope all this shit causes all the people in the "old boys club" in Hockey Canada to be kicked to the curb.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He’s charged with same charge as the other 4 along with an additional charge. Police also believe that player one had consensual sex at first and then took part in the unconsensual sex with the group.

Hope this clarifies the second charge.

View attachment 813740

It sounds like all of the players involved could be charged with common intention.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
He’s charged with same charge as the other 4 along with an additional charge. Police also believe that player one had consensual sex at first and then took part in the unconsensual sex with the group.

Hope this clarifies the second charge.

View attachment 813740
The question is whether 21-1 (b) or (c) is the additional charge. We could just wait for the facts to come out instead of interpreting Canadian penal code and rushing to conclusions.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
"The fact that he is charged with two counts means he took part in it and either A. Texted to players to come over where the assault continued or B. Texted her after the assault and coerced her into dropping the charges"

Stop. The above says he took part in it AND either A or B. Your B is cover up. 2 counts according to you. Not sure why you even replying. This does not mean he is Player 1. He could be, but does not mean.
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1753188697095406047?s=46

Just stop,
Hence the two charges.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Why do you think he would have any insight or details into what happened? This place is intolerable.

What is intolerable is how we got two of them on the team when it was clear we already had one. The re-sign was never necessary for McLeod and the foote was a double in.

If you enjoy cheering for trashy guys you can keep a GM who will look the other way to larger matters for the organization as a whole.

Reactions: StevensRocks

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Where were the adults who should have been looking out for the players best interest? I really hope all this shit causes all the people in the "old boys club" in Hockey Canada to be kicked to the curb.
Anyone who enables this should be punished. But I am going to point out all the players involved themselves were adults when this happened.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
This doesn’t say anything.
It’s fairly laid out, player 1 had sex with victim which was originally consensual, player 1 then text the other players to come to the room(party/aidding) player 1 then also takes part in the un consensual group sex (the sexual assault charge itself).

Player 1 is the wheel that turns this whole thing.
if player one never sends out that text messages to the other players non of this happens. It would be two consenting adults at that point.

Because McLeod got charged with two counts likely indicates he was the one that sent out the text (which is player 1) according to the documents

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
This doesn’t say anything.
Don't even bother man. "party to the offence". Could be few things. It does not make him Player 1 just yet.

Sending out texts for sex is not illegal. Gang bang is not illegal in Canada.

But Maccaroni did not do anything illegal that is known at least. Case is criminal. He was not part of the Statement. True, more players or more people could be charged in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unknown Caller

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I think the McLeod stuff is important to talk about, but I'd rather it get its own thread so I can avoid it when I don't feel like reading it. Just a thought to take that conversation off of this all-encompassing Devils thread, which looks like the only place we will talk over the next week.

Anyways I came here to post this, re: the all star game draft which Jack Hughes is one of the stars of: "Honestly, this whole event is hilarious. I'm not going to actually spend my time watching it but I do get the highlight videos on ESPN of the first picks. While it is a clown show, you have to remember that the NBA does corny stuff all the time and people lap it up."

My3Sons

Sponsor

if I could do anything to fix this it would be to dismantle the competitive hockey system for kids or at least restructure it in such a way that the weirdos are taught to keep their weirdness to themselves and understand that they will not be allowed to coerce or prey on others. The worst elements thrive in this system. Hazing and weird predatory group sex are related as I see it and how they become acceptable and something to share with friends and where the adults in charge don't see anything wrong with it is something I just cannot understand.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
It’s fairly laid out, player 1 had sex with victim which was originally consensual, player 1 then text the other players to come to the room(party/aidding) player 1 then also takes part in the un consensual group sex (the sexual assault charge itself).

Player 1 is the wheel that turns this whole thing.
if player one never sends out that text messages to the other players non of this happens. It would be two consenting adults at that point.

Because McLeod got charged with two counts likely indicates he was the one that sent out the text (which is player 1) according to the documents
It isn’t fairly laid out because the party charge includes subsections for both omitting to do anything under subsection (b) (ie: the guy who didn’t physically do anything) and abetting others to participate under subsection (c) (ie: the guy who texted).

The point is everyone should just wait for the facts to be presented and the charges to be clarified before you decide that you know everything about the matter.

They may need the additional party charge against McLeod if he didn’t physically assault her but omitted to do anything to stop it, which drags in subsection (b) to level the charges.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
It isn’t fairly laid out because the party charge includes subsections for both omitting to do anything under subsection (b) (ie: the guy who didn’t physically do anything) and abetting others to participate under subsection (c) (ie: the guy who texted).

The point is everyone should just wait for the facts to be presented and the charges to be clarified before you decide that you know everything about the matter.
The guy who didn’t physically do anything would only be charged with that one charge then no ? Same with the guy who only sent out the text right ?

My3Sons

Sponsor
What is intolerable is how we got two of them on the team when it was clear we already had one. The re-sign was never necessary for McLeod and the foote was a double in.

If you enjoy cheering for trashy guys you can keep a GM who will look the other way to larger matters for the organization as a whole.
I understand the concern and you aren't necessarily wrong, but we don't know what Fitz really knew and we don't know what Fitz was told by ownership or team counsel.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I wonder what that markstrom-tanev package would run.

Our first is tied into the timo conditions

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Again, I really don’t care to put Fitz or anyone in the organization in the spotlight for anything here because we don’t know what was known. People can say they obviously were suspects, but without anything officially dropping, it’s tough to do anything other than operate business as usual and let the legal process take place.

The scorn should be directed at the perps and Hockey Canada themselves. It’s all sad and sickening stuff.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I understand the concern and you aren't necessarily wrong, but we don't know what Fitz really knew and we don't know what Fitz was told by ownership or team counsel.

Maybe so.

@Unknown Caller

I didn't particularly mean you as you that was more a knee jerk response as a general sense. I should probably rephrase my last bit of previous post. Apologies.

I meant we as fans should expect the GM/pres to think of this team in big picture. The resign measure was short sighted. McLeod was a potential Trainwreck for pr back a year ago (we all knew and talked about it and deep down but we're hoping it wasn't true). But definitely now isn't worth what we see and have to deal with. I wish we took the Ottawa route and just didn't participate the second round of signings.

Just shitty all around.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
None of them should play here again.

I wish the KHL would ban them too, but they won’t.

Maybe someone will take it upon themselves to perform some retribution on the ice over there. Another former Devil still seems to be skating around unscathed over there though.
And I'd assume doing quite well for himself as he's routinely in the top 10 in goals scored.

I'll disagree on McLeod but do agree with Foote. McLeod got signed because we drafted him and invested in him with the hopes of this either disappearing or him being found to be not a part of it. Foote isn't good enough to necessitate a contract in the first place let alone him being connected to this.

Either way, they're both pieces of shit if this is true and it looks like their NHL careers are over. I wonder how much Bastian knew and how he's feeling now knowing what's going on with his BFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad