Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I don't see the Jets going for a deal around Gelinas and Wheeler. I don't even know what we could even afford to add to that, as it would obviously take more..

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Something around Gelinas for Marchand would make sense. Apparently Boston wants to move him, and Marchand seems like the kind of player that would make Lou get a stiffy.

We would have to move at least two forwards though, maybe Boston would want Ryder back and try to recapture that 2011 magic. Maybe something like Ryder + Gelinas for Marchand + McQuaid.

brodeur14301991

Jul 4, 2013
If the Devils are indeed going after Wheeler, which I'd love it would have to be more an just Gelinas+picks to make it work from a cap perspective. Right now, the Devils have 4.8 almost 4.9 million in space and Wheeler is at 5.6 AAV for the next 5 years. We all know Lou likes to have some extra cap space during the season. If I had to guess Ryder and his 3.5 cap hit would have to be going the other way. This would leave the team with about 2.7 million in cap space to play with.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To expand on the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes, unfortunately for us there aren't any teams close to us going for the two studs.

Carolina will probably have a really good shot. NYI certainly doesn't wanna be in on them, but Buffalo would absolutely love for them to be.

It would be insane if Buffalo wins the lottery and the Islanders pick comes in second. Buffalo getting both McDavid and Eichel would be crazy.

I won't make a first overall prediction, but Buffalo does not win the lottery IMO. I think they'll pick second or third overall. Ottawa, Winnipeg, Carolina, Edmonton or Calgary will win the lottery. Vancouver and Florida are my dark horses.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
3 way deal

To NJ

Wheeler
Mark Stuart

To WPG
Gelinas
Marchand
2nd bos

to Boston
???

Really don't see who ends up in Boston...trying to bring in young talent while shedding salary.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
August is the worst month to be a hockey fan. July had free agency and late June has the draft. August has nothing and absolutely blows.

When is the next World Cup of hockey? That used to start in August.:laugh:

According to Wikipedia, the next World Cup of Hockey is in 2016. I never looked into it, but I wonder why they stopped doing it. It was like another Olympics to the fans. I always remind fans that are discussing player accomplishments that Marty has an '04 World Cup of Hockey Championship. One of the few things that very little players can claim. Also when Marty was rocking a goatee for some reason if I remember correctly :laugh: But Bleedred would probably remember that better than I would :sarcasm:

Nope, sorry. No link. This is stuff right to my ear. It's not a "source" or anything, just a connection to the org in a way.

Over the years I've reported stuff like Mogilny signing with us as UFA, Kovalchuk's contract numbers before they were known, Devils signing Henrique to a long term deal, Lou's interest in Clowe for a long time before finally getting him last summer etc.

No big stuff or earth shattering, and I don't post rumors. I just share some stuff with you guys here when I do hear something.

I can vouch for him as well.. Has told us all that before it happens. Dead on when he does post it

From what I remember it has been pretty spot on. Just a refresher though, and obviously you're not going to give up your source but it's a buddy you have that knows Lou or is in the system, correct?

If you move Gelinas then Peter Harrold is in the lineup every night next season, unless you somehow get another D-Man in the deal.

We'll be bringing back Johnny Oduya. It seems like such a predictable move. He was always one of my favorites dating back to seeing him play his first game in the NHL.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'd trade Gelinas for Marchand or Wheeler in a heartbeat. Would be a great add for this organization.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Has it really been confirmed that there will be a World Cup of hockey in 2016? That would be what's up!

I don't remember Marty with a goatee during that tournament, but I do remember his play. He was one of Canada's best players in that tournament.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
In regards to trading Gelinas, I'm kind of torn.

In one sense, if Gelinas can net a guy like Marchand they are getting great value for him. Marchand is exactly the type of player that would succeed very well on the Devils, although I doubt that it would be a one for one deal. I'm sure Gelinas would have to be included in a package.

On the other hand, Gelinas has the highest potential out of all our prospects by far. There's a long way to go, but as DeBoer said, he has all the tools to be a top 10 defenseman in this league. He just has to work on refining his game, but there's a long way to go.

Kind of like implied odds in poker. You stay in bad drawing hand if you think you have potential to bust an opponent. Same thing with Gelinas. He's extremely raw and we have several defensive prospects, but if he hits his potential we have a top pairing 50 point defenseman.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
wheeler would be awesome. but I doubt the jets do anything drastic. they always seem to be complacent where they are.

don't want to sell the farm for marchand tho

Jaysfanatic*

Once again there are are whispers of Lou having close talks with Cheveldayoff and Jets about some kind of trade. They've been talking all summer. Also could possibly involve Boston in some way, because Chiarelli has been in those same talks in some capacity apparently.

The names that are being mentioned include Wheeler, as Lou has serious interest in him and has had for a long time. Brad Marchand's name keeps popping up to. As far as which players other teams want from NJ, Gelinas is the only I've heard. And I don't like that.

I've said for a very long time, do not trade Gelinas under any circumstances. He's going to be a special d-man in this league, I really believe that.

Don't read too much into it, as there are always talks. But I thought it was interesting to hear an inclination of a third team being involved in some kind of of a trade. You don't see those happen too often. I wonder if anything can be worked out.

Marchand and Wheeler to the Devils. Wouldn't that be something.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
wheeler would be awesome. but I doubt the jets do anything drastic. they always seem to be complacent where they are.

don't want to sell the farm for marchand tho

I hate the guy, but Marchand is probably the better bargain between the two, and is the type of player who would fit perfectly here. He's one of the few pests who can really play the game.

I really don't know enough about Wheeler. His 2 better years were in the West. I just am not that familiar with his playing style. His point totals are nice though. If his pt totals can stay around 70 on the Devils, that'd be pretty darn good.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And if Winnipeg is looking to trade Wheeler, they should just move back to Atlanta.

If there is a trade to be made for the Jets it's Kane.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Winnipeg got a pretty good haul from the Thrashers...

Little, Ladd, Byfuglien, Wheeler, Oduya, Kane, Enstrom, 7th overall pick(Schiefele)....

But they never fixed the teams huge weakness in goaltending and now teams that had worse cores than them a few years ago have passed them. Took them way too long to fire Noel.

Wheeler would be such a great add for this team. But it won't probably happen till Wheeler is like 33 or something hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad