Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Josefson and Larsson are both signed at least :laugh:

Gelinas otoh...what's the deal with him anyway? I know there isn't an urgency but geez it's not like the price range/years should be that ridiculously far apart.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Josefson and Larsson are both signed at least :laugh:

Gelinas otoh...what's the deal with him anyway? I know there isn't an urgency but geez it's not like the price range/years should be that ridiculously far apart.

Gelinas' agent- "He put 29 points in 60 games last year on a bad offensive team and was crucial to the PP."

Lou- "He's only played 61 games in the NHL."

Something like that lol

No, but he's an RFA there is really no rush. I was surprised that JJ and Larsson are already dealt with tbh.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Just curious, what are opinions on ruutu vs zubrus. Now I assume both will be on the roster this coming season but given contract status of each and their redundant styles, who would you rather have out of the two? Give me zubrus tbh, but I bet ruutu will be the more popular choice

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Gelinas' offense on a team that is starved for it is greatly needed.

I still would be OK with trading him if we could get a guy like Oduya cheap in a separate deal, but still. we cannot go into the year with Harrold in the top 6.

MountainGoat

Just curious, what are opinions on ruutu vs zubrus. Now I assume both will be on the roster this coming season but given contract status of each and their redundant styles, who would you rather have out of the two? Give me zubrus tbh, but I bet ruutu will be the more popular choice

easily Zubrus for me but I think Ruutu will be the more effective player next season, he's also 5 years younger

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Ruutu.

Zubrus needs to prove to me that the end of last season was a fluke. he was brutal the 2nd half of last season.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

easily Zubrus for me but I think Ruutu will be the more effective player next season, he's also 5 years younger

well Zubie can do a good job killing penalties, where Ruutu cant, but Ruutu's younger and has a little offense left in him

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Gelinas' offense on a team that is starved for it is greatly needed.

I still would be OK with trading him if we could get a guy like Oduya cheap in a separate deal, but still. we cannot go into the year with Harrold in the top 6.

This, even if Severson is the better overall player we simply can't ignore the production Gelinas brings. He completely transforms the power play, which we need since we seemingly can't score goals 5-on-5.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I don't see the two being overly similar. Zubrus is bigger and grinds more, Ruutu skates a lot better and his physicality seems more in the way of big hits.

I was a little infatuated by Ruutu during his time with us last year, mostly because he skated way better then I expected, but I do worry about the injuries popping back up. Zubrus despite an offense that went south in the latter 2/3 of the year can still be effective in certain roles and he hasn't missed many games in recent years.

Really I'd like to see them both on the same line. I think their games complement each others pretty well.

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
to be very honest, i wouldnt want lou to make any more moves. unless its for a SEVERE heavy hitter. im actually content with our team for the few exceptions. i believe we will do fairly well this season. patience is key we have to allow things to develop and be molded. if lou would dump 2 to 3 lost causes and pick up 1 more guy i think we would be good ( and no im NOT going by stats )

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Just a gut feeling, but I don't think anybody's getting traded. I think were going into the season as is and Lou is stocking up on forwards because of the increased likelihood that guys are going to get hurt and/or need old man maintenance days.

If we can stay relatively healthy and the youngsters on defense don't sink then we should be a playoff team. We have the second best goalie in the division and pretty well balanced forward group with Cammalleri aboard. 25-35 goals from him and hopefully 10-20 from Havlat and that should put us closer to league average, since we didn't lose any goals this summer. Obviously, that's contingent and Ryder bouncing back and the old men (Jagr, Elias) not showing there age. Not quite sure what to expect from Clowe. Hes a real wildcard because of the injury situation. Hes a damn good player when healthy.

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
my main concern is zubrus and clowe.. clowes status is unkown but he is an asset imo and zubrus is a dead end. i REALLY dont see him bouncing back

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
zubrus would be fine as a fourth line c/PK forward

Camm-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Elias-Havlat/Ryder
Clowe/Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner
Ruutu-Zubrus-Gionta

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
my main concern is zubrus and clowe.. clowes status is unkown but he is an asset imo and zubrus is a dead end. i REALLY dont see him bouncing back

Agreed. Zubrus is voted least likely to bounce back by me. I vote Ryder most likely to bounce back. Clowe was a very good player for us when actually in the lineup.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just a gut feeling, but I don't think anybody's getting traded. I think were going into the season as is and Lou is stocking up on forwards because of the increased likelihood that guys are going to get hurt and/or need old man maintenance days.

If we can stay relatively healthy and the youngsters on defense don't sink then we should be a playoff team. We have the second best goalie in the division and pretty well balanced forward group with Cammalleri aboard. 25-35 goals from him and hopefully 10-20 from Havlat and that should put us closer to league average, since we didn't lose any goals this summer. Obviously, that's contingent and Ryder bouncing back and the old men (Jagr, Elias) not showing there age. Not quite sure what to expect from Clowe. Hes a real wildcard because of the injury situation. Hes a damn good player when healthy.

It's also likely we see an "injury" to keep a forward on IR, like we did with the defense at times last year. :laugh:

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
zubrus would be fine as a fourth line c/PK forward

Camm-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Elias-Havlat/Ryder
Clowe/Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner
Ruutu-Zubrus-Gionta

i know i might catch some flak from this but i would rather have carter on the 4th line. to me ruutu is a just like zub. we know that zubs is doneskis so let ruutu take over and see how he produces. the the rest of the lines are peachy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad