Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
As for Lou's article with TG, If we had 2 or 3 real good prospects at forward I could accept what he's saying. However, I'm not giving up on them yet but Matty and Boucher don't exactly have me oozing with confidence and it's to early for Quennvile, maybe the new kid Bandish makes some noise. Because I take whatever Lou say's with a grain of salt. No more koolaid until he proves me wrong. How's the saying go: Don't Pee Down my Back and Tell tell me it's Raining.

I love the attitude here. Like they aren't trying to build a good team or something.

All of these ridiculous posts - as if Lou was probably going to say:
"we are going to trade all of our young Dmen using Facebook and HFboards trades and become a team like Edmonton - with nothing but young forward talent"

Larsson will certainly net us Kessel. Gelinas will bring back E Kane. In fact, I'm thinking Ryder for Yakupov and Jagr for ROR, Merrill for Eberle.

After that, we won't try to play defense - everything will be predicated upon scoring.

Because, you know - it's been since 1967 that we've won a cup, and almost as long since we've been to the finals... oh, wait, no that is the team with THE deepest pockets.

I meant we haven't won a cup since 1994.

err. since 1974.

I'm sorry, I'm old and mixed up.

The plan here is really to be like team who drafted Crosby, Malkin, PKane, Toews without actually having the opportunity in 20+ years to draft in the top 10 because, you know... we were winning too much.

Just silly silly posts above.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Given that only Buffalo has scored less goals than us (108 to our 126), I'd say it's far worse than a transition phase. To use housing parlance, the walls need to be ripped down.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Trades are very difficult to pull off these days for obvious reasons (cap flexibility, public relations, trade restriction clauses). The logical conclusion is that Lou will attack the team's deficiencies in free agency, which is extremely frightening based on the recent results.

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Trades are very difficult to pull off those days for obvious reasons. The logical conclusion is that Lou will attack the team's deficiencies in free agency, which is extremely frightening based on the recent results.

Lou will attack the problem the way he should. By allowing whatever talent we have in house to push their way to their ceiling.

Everyone is pissing and moaning about guys they have never even seen play ONE game, in the NHL, minors or juniors.

Outside of maybe catching a highlight of an AHL game - what the heck does anyone know about these guys other than what is written.

I've seen Boucher and Matteau with the NHL team. They both look like NHLers to me. Might be 4th line, might be 2nd line.

Geez you guys have to learn about patience. The 1995 cup team took 12 years to build and wasn't fully baked until it went through the fire of the 94 playoffs and Broten and Chambers were added.

Lou has collected a NICE defensive corps. Henrique who projected to be a 3rd line C is a 2nd line winger.

Maybe, just maybe - they know a bit more about the kids than we do.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Lou will attack the problem the way he should. By allowing whatever talent we have in house to push their way to their ceiling.

Everyone is pissing and moaning about guys they have never even seen play ONE game, in the NHL, minors or juniors.

Outside of maybe catching a highlight of an AHL game - what the heck does anyone know about these guys other than what is written.

I've seen Boucher and Matteau with the NHL team. They both look like NHLers to me. Might be 4th line, might be 2nd line.

Geez you guys have to learn about patience. The 1995 cup team took 12 years to build and wasn't fully baked until it went through the fire of the 94 playoffs and Broten and Chambers were added.

Lou has collected a NICE defensive corps. Henrique who projected to be a 3rd line C is a 2nd line winger.

Maybe, just maybe - they know a bit more about the kids than we do.

Maybe it was coachspeak but LL said earlier that we have bonafide scorers on this team. So his opinion is his diminished in my eyes.

BTW I think Matteau can contribute on the lower lines next year. Boucher is more of an AHL player that doesn't possess the necessary physical attributes to fully utilize his shot.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We're going to need stopgap signings up front regardless, so we can't completely stay out of free agency. I do however hope we can avoid any more 5 year contracts on 30+ year olds. 2-3 year deals I'm fine with because we are going to have to ice a team until some of our forwards start to develop. If we can keep drafting forwards the next couple drafts, I think we'll be headed the right direction. I fully expect there to be a couple more years of pain though. Maybe not Buffalo or Edmonton levels of suckage, but bottom third/half of the league.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Maybe it was coachspeak but LL said earlier that we have bonafide scorers on this team. So his opinion is his diminished in my eyes.

BTW I think Matteau can contribute on the lower lines next year. Boucher is more of an AHL player that doesn't possess the necessary physical attributes to fully utilize his shot.

we do have bonafide scorers - they are just way past their prime and can't score.

On paper, we have a mid2000s all-star team with Havlat, Jagr, Ryder, Cammaleri, Elias etc...

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
neither was Ilya Kovalchuk, Alexander Mogilny, Michael Ryder, Damien Brunner, etc. etc.

That's seriously apples and oranges you have there with Mogilny and Kovalchuk who were great players - and Ryder and Brunner who obviously failed in their time here but were just fliers.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I think the poor reactionary moves like Clowe/Ryder etc are a thing of the past, our franchise was in shambles after Parise/Kovalchuk/Clarkson all jumped ship, we had to ice a team and it was slim pickings on the free agent market, a few moves worked out (Jagr) in the short term, and a few didn't really (Ryder/Brunner), but i do understand why those moves were made, our hand was forced and the situation didn't really have a desirable outcome once our best players all decided to bail.

Clowe is the only example of a contract that didn't make sense, more because of the term than the salary, but we were obviously looking to replace what Clarkson brought into our lineup and thankfully had the sense not to match Torontos offer. Who knows what the market was for Clowe, i highly doubt he got 5 years if there were no other bidders for his services at all. We paid a premium on that one and it didn't work out, but overall the rest of the deals we were made were obviously to see us through the short term.

The last long term deal we made (once the franchise had returned to some stability) was Cammalleri, which at 5x5 isn't a bad contract at all. Sure he's going to miss a few regular season games most years, but the dude is a good complimentary player, i have no qualms with the money he got.

As long as we make smart moves in free agency, i don't think it's the abhorrent mess that some of you seem to think it is. We clearly need to strengthen our RW position, like you i'd prefer to steer clear of Stafford, but someone like Frolik/Zuccarello would be a welcome addition to our current lineup in my opinion.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That's seriously apples and oranges you have there with Mogilny and Kovalchuk who were great players - and Ryder and Brunner who obviously failed in their time here.

you said "Stafford isn't a Devils type player"

I named a handful of guys who were not 'Devils type players' who were either signed or acquired at one point or another.

not sure how its "apples and oranges"?

I guess dont make a blanket statement like that then if it has stipulations.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
you said "Stafford isn't a Devils type player"

I named a handful of guys who were not 'Devils type players' who were either signed or acquired at one point or another.

not sure how its "apples and oranges"?

I guess dont make a blanket statement like that then if it has stipulations.

Ok you're right.

Mogilny == Stafford
Kovy == Stafford
Same thing.:sarcasm:

Mogilny and Kovy both changed their games to do what it took to win. Kovy went from a perennial -20 to a plus player.

I don't think Stafford is that type of guy.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I believe Boucher will be a player. Looking forward to seeing up with the big club in 10 days.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think the poor reactionary moves like Clowe/Ryder etc are a thing of the past, our franchise was in shambles after Parise/Kovalchuk/Clarkson all jumped ship, we had to ice a team and it was slim pickings on the free agent market, a few moves worked out (Jagr) in the short term, and a few didn't really (Ryder/Brunner), but i do understand why those moves were made, our hand was forced and the situation didn't really have a desirable outcome once our best players all decided to bail.

Clowe is the only example of a contract that didn't make sense, more because of the term than the salary, but we were obviously looking to replace what Clarkson brought into our lineup and thankfully had the sense not to match Torontos offer. Who knows what the market was for Clowe, i highly doubt he got 5 years if there were no other bidders for his services at all. We paid a premium on that one and it didn't work out, but overall the rest of the deals we were made were obviously to see us through the short term.

The last long term deal we made (once the franchise had returned to some stability) was Cammalleri, which at 5x5 isn't a bad contract at all. Sure he's going to miss a few regular season games most years, but the dude is a good complimentary player, i have no qualms with the money he got.

As long as we make smart moves in free agency, i don't think it's the abhorrent mess that some of you seem to think it is. We clearly need to strengthen our RW position, like you i'd prefer to steer clear of Stafford, but someone like Frolik/Zuccarello would be a welcome addition to our current lineup in my opinion.

I wouldn't be psyched about Frolik/Zuccarello - but I agree that I can see Lou possibly adding two young UFA core players (if he can) or even two low-priced stopgaps like Havlat next year.

Edit: yeah, maybe Frolik/Zuccarello/Tlusty/Stewart are the best bets. Belesky? Sheppherd? Soderberg? Downie?

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Stafford isn't getting Cammalleri money, let's be serious for a second here and quit it with the hyperbole.

Stafford is currently at $2m. At that price, I'll admit I'm wrong.. I could see Lou taking a flier and hoping to change his defensive game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd sign Stafford to a Zubrus contract...3 year 3+...we desperately need RWs for next season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd sign Stafford to a Zubrus contract...3 year 3+...we desperately need RWs for next season.

Maybe if we jettison that washed up turd.

Zubrus and Stafford both on this team? **** that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's seriously apples and oranges you have there with Mogilny and Kovalchuk who were great players - and Ryder and Brunner who obviously failed in their time here but were just fliers.

It's not apples and oranges, he cited guys who weren't Devil-type players who we did sign (as proof it's conceivable we sign another 'non-Devil type' including non-superstars).

Now whether Lou would be fool enough to give Stafford anywhere near 5-25 is silly, he's not getting that from anyone. We might sign him but it's not going to be for a deal THAT onerous.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Ok you're right.

Mogilny == Stafford
Kovy == Stafford
Same thing.:sarcasm:

Mogilny and Kovy both changed their games to do what it took to win. Kovy went from a perennial -20 to a plus player.

I don't think Stafford is that type of guy.

Stafford played for one of the worst teams in the NHL. He was a + player before Buffalo turned into a mess. But +/- is a dumb stat to look at if you want to see how good a player is defensively.

Ovie went from a +45 at age 24 to a -35 at age 28 with no change to his desire to play defense.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I could see us throwing money at Soderberg since our center depth is putrid. If we signed him and traded for someone like Sharp with Boucher hopefully making it, we'd be in better shape. That's without whoever our draft pick would be.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
yeah soderberg I don't mind considering he would be our best center in terms of production and we need some stopgaps.

no to stafford though.

would also like the Devils to acquire Eriksson if he's cheap.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I could see us throwing money at Soderberg since our center depth is putrid. If we signed him and traded for someone like Sharp with Boucher hopefully making it, we'd be in better shape. That's without whoever our draft pick would be.

Terrible for Lou to try and fix our forward group in one offseason especially this one. It will be 2-3 years before our defense becomes anything special so we have team to build up a top 6. We probably have 2 of the top 6 pieces before we become serious contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad