Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Drew Stafford to 1yr Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have been pounding on the table for years that he would be a good fit with us, I hope there is enough in the tank for him to be effective. He is very streaky but this could be a great signing.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
At least he will have some gas left in the tank. Unlike other options out there (Doan, Iggy, Hudler, Gionta)

Jagr is, too risky for the price.

Only other guy I would of considered is Vanek. A major plus with Stafford is, like Vanek, he can play LW and RW if needed.

But yeah, I'm a big fan of this signing, especially at that price. Stafford is the kind of player that can fit in top 6 or bottom 6 with relative ease so all the better.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Speers being able to develop in the AHL after only playing half a season last year is another positive to this.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Throwing some spaghetti against a wall:

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Johansson-Hischier-Stafford
Quenneville/Blandisi-Zacha-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Lappin/Speers/Hayes

I think it was mentioned that JQ could slide over to RW, but certainly I think there's going to be a lot of experimentation.

If Zacha isn't playing third line center, I would like to see him with Nico. Drop Stafford to third line RW.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I'd rather have him than Hayes.

He's probably this year's Stempniak/Parenteau.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Makes sense. I figured either he or Vanek would get signed when Zajac injury came out.

Zajac out left a big hole in terms of vet leadership that could be filled with a UFA (He wasn't ever going to be replaced in terms of his role on the ice),

I suppose he'll be expendable when Zajac returns.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Exactly what I was thinking-taking it a step further, I think he'll make a nice 3rd rounder--that they lost for MoJo.

Doubt it, unless it's a weak market. He only brought back a 6th last year.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Doubt it, unless it's a weak market. He only brought back a 6th last year.

Yeah, it's just the scenario I have planned in my head..

This year is going to be rough. They'll be early sellers, Stafford will get minutes because it's a weak position and impress enough...and the Devils draft Boqvist...or perhaps Ryan McLeod...

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Stafford
Blandisi/JQ-Hischier-Noesen/Speers/McLeod/JQ
Wood-Boyle-Noesen/Speers/JQ

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
people saying jagr would be too expensive? i dont get it when did we become a cap strapped team?

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Hard not to like this deal, allows us to shelter the kids and flip him for a mid round pick at the deadline. Given Sheros aptitude for turning picks into valuable assets i'm all for accumulating as many as possible.

I think management knows we aren't a realistic playoff contender yet, we should let the kids develop in juniors/Binghamton for another year and then aim to compete in 2018-19.

One more development year won't kill us, we should be more exciting to watch this season at least.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, it's just the scenario I have planned in my head..

This year is going to be rough. They'll be early sellers, Stafford will get minutes because it's a weak position and impress enough...and the Devils draft Boqvist...or perhaps Ryan McLeod...

You spelled Rasmus Dahlin wrong.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
A 2 or 3? He got a 6 months ago at the deadline. It would take some Stempniak type good fortune to have Stafford play well enough to fetch either pick.

Whatever, the deadline changes every year and who knows what anyone will get. Point being, he'll either help or get us a free pick. I ain't mad at that.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The difference between this year and last year vis a vis the deadline is that last year Stafford was making $4.5M and this year he's making $800,000. So this year he can go anywhere, no problem. If Stafford does play with Hall and gets PP1 minutes and is able to score, I do think he could get a 2nd through 4th round pick back. But that's not something I would bet on happening at even money.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Stafford
Blandisi/JQ-Hischier-Noesen/Speers/McLeod/JQ
Wood-Boyle-Noesen/Speers/JQ

My lines were similar to this. However, I rather have Nico start on the 3rd line the first few games and promote him from there.

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-McLeod
Quenneville/Blandisi-Hischier-Stafford
Wood-Boyle-Lappin/Speers/Hayes/Nosen

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Maybe Jagr doesn't want to sign back here? Did you ever think of that?

ummmmmmmmmmmmm i'm pretty sure thats not the case. the guy is almost begging for a contract from an nhl team. if that is true and he doesn't want to sign here? wow and you thought we had a shot at shatenkirk lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad