Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Brendan Smith 2 yrs 1.1m per

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think he’s trash but it’ll only matter if Ruff latches on to him for some reason. Warm bodies are important if you’re trying to make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I would have brought Subban back instead, but whatever. Not going to get too worked up over a 7th defenseman.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I didn't really follow him when he was on the Rangers, but this contract is so cheap, its a depth signing so can't really say too much negativity about it on the outset.

Unless they overuse him somehow.......

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
djimon-hounsou-who.gif

djimon-hounsou-who.gif

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I like the zero risk aspect. Seems like 6/7 and a possibility for young d-men (Okhotyuk, Muk, Bahl, Smith in the short-term and Hughes, Nemec in the longer perspective) to fight for a roster spot but not receive that for free.

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I actually really like this tbh. Bottom pairing D who is physical and will PK. Low cost, maybe bitch about the second year if you must, but I think it's a good move for a hole in our lineup.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Can't hate this signing too much. I remember this guy being highly touted for the Red Wings back in the day. He's a little older but will provide some veteran experience in a somewhat smaller role on the defense. Low risk decent reward here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
3rd pairing PKer with physicality. People were clamoring for this.
I was beating this drum, but a righty. Apparently he can play right, so we shall see.
i really think they’re gonna give Nemec a shot to make this team
Need to see how the rest of the off season shakes out, but if this is the only D-man addition, then the Devils have definitely left the door open for Nemec.

Could squeeze, OK and or Bahl in the near term, as a B. Smith-Nemec 3rd pair makes sense.

Reactions: Billdo

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Haven’t been in this thread so I don’t know what people are already saying but I think this kind of leaves the door open for Nemec to make the team.

5D will definitely be on the team

Siegenthaler(LD) Hamilton (RD)
Graves (LD) Severson (RD)
B. Smith (LD)

I think T. Smith (if not traded), Bahl, Okhotiuk, and Nemec will be fighting for the remaining 2 spots. Nemec being a RD might earn the 3RD spot if he does really well and B. Smith isn’t a bad guy to play alongside him. Not sure what happens with the other 3 but I’d really like to see Okhotiuk on the team. Sounds like he can possibly play his offside as well which might be something they liked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad