Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Erik Haula (3 yrs, $9.4 million total)

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hey everyone,

Really tidy business by your GM!

As many of you have mentioned, fair $ for a very versatile player who is a prick to play against.

Fitz continues his solid work. Hopefully Timo Time next with an AAV that starts with an 8.
IMG_5039.gif

PS. Thanks to all who have been Posting lineup projections and moves still needed. Always appreciate a knowledgeable fanbase to learn from.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hey everyone,

Really tidy business by your GM!

As many of you have mentioned, fair $ for a very versatile player who is a prick to play against.

Fitz continues his solid work. Hopefully Timo Time next with an AAV that starts with an 8.
View attachment 720514

PS. Thanks to all who have been Posting lineup projections and moves still needed. Always appreciate a knowledgeable fanbase to learn from.
While the Canuck fans work on a plan to have the entire Aquilini family declared incompetent and a danger to themselves and others you are welcome to get on the NJ bandwagon now. Once Timo extends and it goes public there might not be enough room for all the hangers on.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He didn't manage to get the full No Canada NTC. The difference in the way that the NHL and NBA hands out NTC is so funny. In the NHL a guy like Erik f***ing Haula can get a NTC but essentially no one in the NBA does.

perfect. Definitely able to move on year 3 if he tanks

Tom “Exit Strategy” Fitzgerald.

“Cash up front! Generous bonuses make those years buy out proof! plus there’s a full NTC for most of it!

But I need you to give me a little flexibility in the back end, because if we’re being realistic here, I might need to dump your ass.”

It doesn’t say Haula got a NMC (unlike Hamilton, Palat and Bratt).

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

“Cash up front! Generous bonuses make those years buy out proof! plus there’s a full NTC for most of it!

But I need you to give me a little flexibility in the back end, because if we’re being realistic here, I might need to dump your ass.”

I think this could end up being a deal I could stomach all the way through to the end even if I'm not thrilled about it unlike Palat that I'd want to move on from at least by year 4 and definitely by year 5

My3Sons

Sponsor

Honestly, isn't that the reasonable way to do it? My recollection is Hamilton's deal can be moved after year 5 and Palat's deal can be bought out after year 4 without too much drama. The players will both be older than me by the time those years on their contracts hit and they are not likely to know where they are, much less that they have an NHL contract, since the dementia will have already set in.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Honestly, isn't that the reasonable way to do it? My recollection is Hamilton's deal can be moved after year 5 and Palat's deal can be bought out after year 4 without too much drama. The players will both be older than me by the time those years on their contracts hit and they are not likely to know where they are, much less that they have an NHL contract, since the dementia will have already set in.

The buyouts aren't great. As long as they're still decent players we should be able to deal them for half retained rather than buying them out and that'd be the better option

Devils just sign someone that was key to success here. Go to hf boards “when can we buy this guy out” lol

Never look to the future ever. Only look at the here and now so you can have a few short years of success and then an awful future like Lou has done with the Isles

My3Sons

Sponsor
The buyouts aren't great. As long as they're still decent players we should be able to deal them for half retained rather than buying them out and that'd be the better option

Never look to the future ever. Only look at the here and now so you can have a few short years of success and then an awful future like Lou has done with the Isles
I agree completely that buyouts are not good under any circumstances and a trade with retention if necessary is much much better for all sides.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I agree completely that buyouts are not good under any circumstances and a trade with retention if necessary is much much better for all sides.

If it is going to happen then yeah a buyout of 1 year left with either isn't completely awful. 2.7 and 1.65 for Palat. 5.5 and 1.75 for Dougie.

2 years left with Dougie it wouldn't even be worth it at all. The first year of the buyout would be over 9 so we'd be better off just keeping him around and buying him out the next year. 2 years of Palat I'd only probably do if I really needed to. 3.5 then 2.5 and 2 1.5 years.

I think Dougie at half retained for that last year could definitely be moved quite easily so I'm not really worried about him at all. Like Burns last year was moved for only 33% retained which was ~5.2 and he was 37 coming off a 54 pt year. He'd have to completely fall off a cliff to not be tradeable. Palat would probably be harder to move and could require a sweetener rather than like the Burns deal where they just got off of it for free. I think I'm probably going to want to ditch him after year and I think getting off a 2 years for free would be hard

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I’m really happy Haula is back. Guy is a Swiss Army knife for the team and he brings effort every night.

Even when he was snakebit worse than any time in his career he was helping the team. When the puck started going in his value and play really shone.

Haula has a chance to put up 20 goals at some point in this contract which, considering his overall play, will be a nice value.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There's always the theory that his celebration after scoring in Game 5 against the Rangers was an homage to HFBoards...

I've never wanted to bottle a gif and inject it straight ...'ve never wanted to bottle a gif and inject it straight ...

I mean, he's clearly stirring a drink here... :sarcasm:
Oh, he’s absolutely doing it but did the meme start from one of us hearing him talk about it previously or did he hear about his hfboards love and get the idea for his celebration? It’s the ol chicken and the egg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad