New Jersey
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm only happy about the AAV in that it sets up a reasonable price for his next contract. Devils probably won't sniff the cap for 3 years so it hardly matters.

Also for all the hype over the Devils being the team with cap space this offseason to weaponize, if it means we only got Murray and Johnsson out of it, it's time to start thinking about using that cap space to resign Gusev/Palmieri or sign UFAs to ensure the young talent has an actual NHL team to develop with.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm only happy about the AAV in that it sets up a reasonable price for his next contract. Devils probably won't sniff the cap for 3 years so it hardly matters.

Also for all the hype over the Devils being the team with cap space this offseason to weaponize, if it means we only got Murray and Johnsson out of it, it's time to start thinking about using that cap space to resign Gusev/Palmieri or sign UFAs to ensure the young talent has an actual NHL team to develop with.
"Only"

Those 2 guys make $8 million combined

Also you need UFAs to want to sign here...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

The 3 year deal is more about flexibility than anything. Goalies are unpredictable, we've learned that the hard way with what happened with Schneids. This keeps him cost controlled at a friendly cap hit and he'll be an RFA at the end of it again. If he earns his keep, they'll take care of him contract wise. If he doesn't perform, we're no worse for wear financially.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
"Only"

Those 2 guys make $8 million combined

Also you need UFAs to want to sign here...

Don't kid yourself, with TB and maybe a third of the league in cap hell you had higher hopes for how that cap space was gonna be utilized when the offseason started.

I just hope we don't all congratulate Fitz in a year for the Devils not resigning Palmieri/Gusev/Murray any player approaching UFA and the Devils spend the next 3 years hoping Hughes/Hischier/Holtz take the next step with a broken team of misfit toys and 15 million in cap space.

edit: Replaced Palmieri's name with Hischier's

Last edited:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Don't kid yourself, with TB and maybe a third of the league in cap hell you had higher hopes for how that cap space was gonna be utilized when the offseason started.

I just hope we don't all congratulate Fitz in a year for the Devils not resigning Palmieri/Gusev/Murray any player approaching UFA and the Devils spend the next 3 years hoping Hughes/Palmieri/Holtz take the next step with a broken team of misfit toys and 15 million in cap space.

Yo, chill chief.

Plenty of time for moves yet.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

right but tampa got visited by the LTI fairy, so not much we could do there. there’s still time, and even if nothing materializes i’m good with what we have.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I just hope we don't all congratulate Fitz in a year for the Devils not resigning Palmieri/Gusev/Murray any player approaching UFA and the Devils spend the next 3 years hoping Hughes/Palmieri/Holtz take the next step with a broken team of misfit toys and 15 million in cap space.

Other than Nate Schmidt what real cap desperation moves have been made? The big self immolations never happened. I think that was all just talk to scare the NHLPA. The owners are all billionaires and most probably have billionaire partners. Let's say each team loses $50 to $60 million dollars this season. If Harris and Blitzer each lose $20 mil and the limited partners the rest, do they lose a minute of sleep? Those guys are probably doing fine overall and my guess is that the other owners are as well. No team was going to give away good young long term players to save some cap. Heck, VGK wouldn't even spring for a first round pick, which would probably be a low first round pick, to rid themselves of MAF even after his agent's jackass move. NJ did well to get Murray. Hopefully he stays healthy and they can extend him for a few years after this one. I'd also like to think that at some point, Smith, Holtz, Mercer, Bahl, Sharangovich (yeah I'll go there) push the misfit toys like Butcher and Wood down or out of the lineup completely.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

A few things -

We won't know where teams stand until they announce who is opting out of the season. Opt outs could save some teams from having to make trades.

Next year figures to be the real windfall cap-wise as teams have to operate under the same salary cap and will be even more pressed against it, plus players will no longer be opting out.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad