GDT: Devils @ Rags - Give me something for the pain and let me die edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The biggest reason the team is really bad for the last month is far and away because Travis Green is now the head coach.

Ruff wishes he got a chance with the goalies we got at the deadline.
I'm with you on Green being bad, but this is the same dogshit we've seen since the Shero days, served on new plates.

Face it: we added a legit 1b goalie and we are just watching a slower regression to the .895 sv% mean that we've seen with the 2a and 2b and AHL goalies we've had. Give Allen and Kahkonnen another two weeks of 41 shots and our brand of hockey and there will be nothing to historically tell apart btw the Ruff and Green administrations and we will remember him like Gerald Ford.

Here's to whomever comes in and instills some discipline, a solid patient counter attacking system, and a few roster tweaks to stabilize the D corps and introduce forecheckers as good or better than Fabian Zetterlund so that we don't have to watch the Great Forward Depth we currently are blessed with.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Steve Thomas back in 1995-1996 is probably one of my most hated Devils ever. Including coaches.

Honestly, one of the first Devils players I really HATED, which would not surprise anybody is Sean Burke.

He was no good here, other than the first few months of 1988. His debut at the end of that regular season through the playoffs was his peak as a Devil. It wasn't the peak of his career, but it was his peak as a Devil.

That was definitely his longest playoff run though. He was the backup for the Flyers on their 2004 team that made the conference finals. Burke had 12 career playoff wins and 9 of them came with us in 1988. He had three straight playoff runs of 1-4 in 5 game playoff runs. 1 with Philly in 98 and 2 with Phoenix in 00 and 01. Other than being 0-2 in the 1990 playoffs with us,

I think Herb Brooks was the first ever coach I hated here. College caliber head coach who got a couple of NHL head boss gigs because of an impossible gold medal win with college kids. He was one of those ''Real American heroes!'' coaches because of that. He was a one and done here under Lou.
I love all of this. It's funny bc all of the guys you mention have a particular singular brand of arrogance about them.

I admire your consistency. Seriously. Good stuff.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Here's to whomever comes in and instills some discipline, a solid patient counter attacking system, and a few roster tweaks to stabilize the D corps and introduce forecheckers as good or better than Fabian Zetterlund so that we don't have to watch the Great Forward Depth we currently are blessed with.
1712273276095.gif

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ruff needed to get fired. We looked like listless dogshit at home vs Tampa and that was followed by the bad road trip.

The “Fire Ruff” chants were going to start again, 20 games of that would have been ugly and cruel.

I didn’t see it as an attempt to savage the season either.

We kept theoretically hanging around because it might only take ~90 points to get the last two spots, not because we were poised to make a run.

I didn’t want Ruff here next year, and I didn’t want the fan base to abuse him, so firing him was the right move IMO.

I wasn’t particularly worried about Green doing enough to keep his job either, and that isn’t looking like a problem now, so who cares if he’s the interim HC? (Well, other than you lol.)

Maybe I’m underestimating Kevin Dineen’s coaching skills, but I have zero interest in him as a coaching candidate, so I had zero interest in him getting the interim job. I guess the team felt the same way.

People here read too much into hirings. We hired guys with HC experience because a lot of teams do and this is a good gig now. It doesn’t make every hire the next HC in waiting.
But how much of the team playing listless was due to the goaltending undermining the season?

I think Ruff got a raw deal. We all knew goaltending was a big issue, maybe the biggest, to fire Ruff and then immediately after to bring in 2 goalies? That's a tough timeline from Ruff's perspective.

Devils keep their leads in all the games they recently blew and they're tied with Washington for the last spot currently, borderline comical how bad and mentally weak they are this year
Rag's kicked our ass last night. We never deserved to have the lead, but once we had it, we fully deserved to blow it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
But how much of the team playing listless was due to the goaltending undermining the season?

I think Ruff got a raw deal. We all knew goaltending was a big issue, maybe the biggest, to fire Ruff and then immediately after to bring in 2 goalies? That's a tough timeline from Ruff's perspective.

Rag's kicked our ass last night. We never deserved to have the lead, but once we had it, we fully deserved to blow it.

100% agree but it's more so how do you manage not to win one of those games if not 2/3. The Pens got their asses kicked for 50 mins and still won, Devils could've done that last night as well

Reactions: Whaddagoal

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
100% agree but it's more so how do you manage not to win one of those games if not 2/3. The Pens got their asses kicked for 50 mins and still won, Devils could've done that last night as well
We are bad team right now and trending downwards.

I was in a discussion yesterday about how this season projects onto next season. This stretch of play has me pretty concerned, last night magnified that concern.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Did anyone look at our PP #'s from last night?

6 minutes on the PP and we were out corsi'd, out HDCF'd, out SCF'd, out xGF.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did anyone look at our PP #'s from last night?

6 minutes on the PP and we were out corsi'd, out HDCF'd, out SCF'd, out xGF.
If you only saw our power play conversion percentage, you would think we weren't doing that badly on the power play or as bad as people would lead you to believe with how much of a constant and nonstop complaint it's been.

But we are 28th in the league in expected goals at 5 on 4. We were I think 23rd when the coaching change was made. We've been constantly plummeting since about Thanksgiving or whenever Dougie got hurt.

But even when we were scoring on like 40% of our power plays early on in the year, I clearly remember being only 8-10 in expected goals at 5 on 4. We were never first in the league.

I think last year our power play percentage was like 12th or something and we were also 12th in expected goals at 5 on 4.

The year before I'm pretty sure we were 32nd in both percentage and expected goals. That got Recchi fired.

I was pointing at our poor underlying PP numbers being reason enough to deduce that Travis Green was not doing a good enough job even with the power play, before he became head coach.

• Love
Reactions: DVision44

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The immature game and mentally weak stuff was an issue since game 1.

Not starting on time. Not being able to handle the highs and lows of the game and season.

That was always a huge indictment on coaching and was why Ruff needed to be fired and that fact it hasn't changed at all names it clear the rest of the coaches need to go too.

Reactions: Dialamo

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We didn’t play well but it still took absurd bad luck to blow that game. Luke’s broken stick and Kakko snipe out of nowhere, the BS call on Smith, the very fortunate bounce on the deflection.

You need to be both bad and unlucky to get so few games to OT. It’s been sickening to watch this year.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Next season can be a positive turnaround, as 21-22 -> 22-23 was. But they need to bring in certain elements.
Yes. A starting goalie so Allen can play 30ish games. A new head coach and some bottom 6 help is definitely a must. It's going to be hard to bring in another D man unless we move out 1 of Bahl , Siegenthaler or Marino. If we don't than we bank alot on those 3 playing better next year. Luke and Nemec are probably never going back to the AHL either. Maybe a team does a change of scenery deal with Siegenthaler. I feel like he might be the odd man out here.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes. A starting goalie so Allen can play 30ish games. A new head coach and some bottom 6 help is definitely a must. It's going to be hard to bring in another D man unless we move out 1 of Bahl , Siegenthaler or Marino. If we don't than we bank alot on those 3 playing better next year. Luke and Nemec are probably never going back to the AHL either. Maybe a team does a change of scenery deal with Siegenthaler. I feel like he might be the odd man out here.
I have a feeling one of Marino/Siegenthaler is on the way out this summer.

I think the team would prefer to keep Marino, but he may be easier to do away with, as he has 3 years left on his deal.

Siegenthaler has just completed year 1 of a 5 year deal.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I have a feeling one of Marino/Siegenthaler is on the way out this summer.

I think the team would prefer to keep Marino, but he may be easier to do away with, as he has 3 years left on his deal.

Siegenthaler has just completed year 1 of a 5 year deal.
There can always be retention. Both players have shown they can play well though. Marino was great last season and Siegenthaler was last season and the one prior. They can bounce back for sure but Marino is a better complete player IMO. He's not as big as Siegenthaler though. My issue with Siegenthaler is he doesn't play enough of a hard nosed game for being a pretty 1 dimensional player. He knows his role but theirs no intimidating part to his game most nights.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's still too early to give up on Siegs or Marino, and unless they're going for an upgrade I don't see them going anywhere. I'd like to see them under a new coach and system first.

I trust Marino to bounce back more than I do Siegs though, who I think has bigger issues because of his grenade handling with the puck. It's why he needs somebody like Dougie who can move the puck.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think it's still too early to give up on Siegs or Marino, and unless they're going for an upgrade I don't see them going anywhere. I'd like to see them under a new coach and system first.

I trust Marino to bounce back more than I do Siegs though, who I think has bigger issues because of his grenade handling with the puck. It's why he needs somebody like Dougie who can move the puck.
Yeah I think Marino is going to be just fine with Dougie back and hopefully Nemec and Luke taking steps. Siegenthaler has been shit long enough that I don’t expect anything from him anymore. Not sure what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad