Prospect Info: Devils Prospects Re-Ranked For 2022

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hoping Boqvist can turn the corner and we see more of his skills on display....Misyul and Okhotyuk are very good prospects I think Bahl should be below both of them imo.

I have Okhotyuk ranked over Bahl, but not Misyul. But I have to say, after Luke Hughes and Mukhamadullin it's very close for me among the middle crop of Devils D -- Okhotyuk, Bahl, Vukojevic, Misyul and Zaitsev. I just like Okhotyuk the best out of the group, call it personal preference.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
If I was writing up prospects when Richer came into the draft, I'd have to be 90 years old, right?

Just kidding, I remember Richer. Was a big fan. If I recall correctly, we traded Kirk Muller for him. Richer had a sick shot. But I was a kid when he was on the Devils.

I started writing up prospects in the early 2000s, around the same time the internet allowed for me to watch them play online. I think my first published draft ranking was on a now defunct fantasy site in 2004, I remember the year because of my abnormally high ranking for Travis Zajac. I had Zajac in my top 10, and I recall doing a little dance when the Devils got him at #20 because, yes, I am an enormous Devils fan.

I'm not a typical fan in that I closely follow all 32 organizations and prospects to the best of my abilities. But the Devils are closest to my heart.
well now that you say it, I suppose I definitely assumed you were much older lmao. Thats my bad!

and thats awesome, Im probably about a decade younger but I started following the Devils closely as a bit of a diehard in.. lets say 2009, right around middle of high school when my sports interest started peaking. I grew up a Devils fan attending games and events but never followed them like people do now.

As for drafts Im a bit of a noob, only really starting in 2016 when we took Pavel Zacha; I liked him a lot and so in 2017 I watched Nolan Patrick a lot, was pissed we got Nico Hischier.. well yeah Im a noob like I said lol.

I look forward to seeing more information on the upcoming prospects as we get closer. Though I am a bit of a gunner as a fantasy GM and would love a high-octane trade with a top-10 pick ;)

Reactions: StevenToddIves

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Well thats cool, and its awesome that you decided to continue your passion online with fellow fans. You are a Devils fan, right? Lol

Random question but were you following prospects this closely when Stephane Richer came into the draft? Id be curious to know what his profile was like then; he is my mother's favorite player

Wow. I am so old.

My3Sons

Sponsor
If I was writing up prospects when Richer came into the draft, I'd have to be 90 years old, right?

Just kidding, I remember Richer. Was a big fan. If I recall correctly, we traded Kirk Muller for him. Richer had a sick shot. But I was a kid when he was on the Devils.

I started writing up prospects in the early 2000s, around the same time the internet allowed for me to watch them play online. I think my first published draft ranking was on a now defunct fantasy site in 2004, I remember the year because of my abnormally high ranking for Travis Zajac. I had Zajac in my top 10, and I recall doing a little dance when the Devils got him at #20 because, yes, I am an enormous Devils fan.

I'm not a typical fan in that I closely follow all 32 organizations and prospects to the best of my abilities. But the Devils are closest to my heart.

more like 98 but close.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So I had to go back to take a look again...He isn't really comparable to Kucherov at all imo. Kucherov just had way better production period. However he is indeed pretty similar to Panarin and unless I'm mistaken, he is actually doing better than Panarin's 20 year old season. But let's remember that Panarin wasn't even drafted so this is an extreme rarity for someone like him to become a superstar (talking about Panarin).
Kucherov was always a monster, it’s hard to compare him with anyone.

Gritsyuk is having a massive D+3 season but Kaprizov blew up the KHL in his D+2 year before that.

Gritsyuk’s D+2 year isn’t that impressive because he couldn’t get a foothold in the KHL and lot of that had to do with his size and strength at the time.

I mentioned this before, Kaprizov was 5’9” when he was drafted but he was also 185. He bulked up and is over 200 now.

Grits was 5’10” and 169 when drafted and is listed at 174 now. He’s technically a very good skater but he went in the 5th round because he was a Russian who didn’t have the elite skating speed that scouts demand of smaller players.

He got strong enough to be very effective in the KHL as a productive scoring two-way top six forward by age 20. That’s an impressive development curve. He’s clearly a very motivated player, and not one dimensional at all, but he’s always going to be a little small.

I would like him signed after 2022-23, even if he burns the first year of ELC playing in Russia, rather than him sign another two year deal there. He has another season in the KHL either way.

Panarin was 32nd on Central Scouting European Skater rankings in 2010. Panarin later thanked GMs for not drafting him so he could chose where he wanted to go in 2015.

The Russians in European Skaters before Bread: #2 Tarasenko RW (2010 STL Rd 1 #16), #3 Kuznetsov C (2010 WSH Rd 1 #26) #5 Maxim Kitsyn LW (2010 LAK Rd 6 #158), #12 Alexei Marchenko D (2011 DET Rd 7 #205), #19 Gusev LW (2012 TBL Rd 7 #202), #22 Sergei Barbashev RW (Nope but his brother Ivan was in 2014 & Maxim is a prospect in the 2022 draft) and then #32 Panarin.

Under North American Skaters: #11 Burmistrov C (2010 ATL Rd #8, oh Atlanta…), #20 Stanislav Galiev RW (2010 WSH Rd 3 #86), #31 Kirill Kabanov LW (2010 NYI Rd 3 #65), #33 Ivan Telegin LW (2010 ATL Rd 4 #101)

And the Bruins drafted an overager who was #179 on 2009 Central Scouting Euro Skating list, Maxim Chudinov (2010 Rd 7 #195).

#33 Jesper Fast RW (NYR 2010 Rd 6 #157), #34 Johan Larsson LW (2010 MIN Rd 2 #56), #35 Tim Heed D (2010 ANA Rd 5 #132) and #37 Joakim Nordstrom C (2010 ANA Rd 5 #132) were all drafted so you got picked in that range if you’re Swedish apparently.

John Klingberg was drafted at #133 after Nordstrom and wasn’t even on the list of 150 European Skaters, which is a weirder omission than Panarin not getting drafted frankly.

2010 CSB FINAL (EUR SKATERS)

As a side note, the Blueshirt Banter draft thread in 2010 is legendary in the build-up of their excitement as Cam Fowler remains available until their #10 pick and when Sather takes Dylan McIlrath they’re all brutally stunned, but not surprised at all in a might-as-well-give-up-on-life sort of way. Some of responses are hilarious and merciless. (It’s been years since I’ve seen it but a group meltdown for the ages.)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Kucherov was always a monster, it’s hard to compare him with anyone.

Gritsyuk is having a massive D+3 season but Kaprizov blew up the KHL in his D+2 year before that.

Gritsyuk’s D+2 year isn’t that impressive because he couldn’t get a foothold in the KHL and lot of that had to do with his size and strength at the time.

I mentioned this before, Kaprizov was 5’9” when he was drafted but he was also 185. He bulked up and is over 200 now.

Grits was 5’10” and 169 when drafted and is listed at 174 now. He’s technically a very good skater but he went in the 5th round because he was a Russian who didn’t have the elite skating speed that scouts demand of smaller players.

He got strong enough to be very effective in the KHL as a productive scoring two-way top six forward by age 20. That’s an impressive development curve. He’s clearly a very motivated player, and not one dimensional at all, but he’s always going to be a little small.

I would like him signed after 2022-23, even if he burns the first year of ELC playing in Russia, rather than him sign another two year deal there. He has another season in the KHL either way.

Panarin was 32nd on Central Scouting European Skater rankings in 2010. Panarin later thanked GMs for not drafting him so he could chose where he wanted to go in 2015.

The Russians in European Skaters before Bread: #2 Tarasenko RW (2010 STL Rd 1 #16), #3 Kuznetsov C (2010 WSH Rd 1 #26) #5 Maxim Kitsyn LW (2010 LAK Rd 6 #158), #12 Alexei Marchenko D (2011 DET Rd 7 #205), #19 Gusev LW (2012 TBL Rd 7 #202), #22 Sergei Barbashev RW (Nope but his brother Ivan was in 2014 & Maxim is a prospect in the 2022 draft) and then #32 Panarin.

Under North American Skaters: #11 Burmistrov C (2010 ATL Rd #8, oh Atlanta…), #20 Stanislav Galiev RW (2010 WSH Rd 3 #86), #31 Kirill Kabanov LW (2010 NYI Rd 3 #65), #33 Ivan Telegin LW (2010 ATL Rd 4 #101)

And the Bruins drafted an overager who was #179 on 2009 Central Scouting Euro Skating list, Maxim Chudinov (2010 Rd 7 #195).

#33 Jesper Fast RW (NYR 2010 Rd 6 #157), #34 Johan Larsson LW (2010 MIN Rd 2 #56), #35 Tim Heed D (2010 ANA Rd 5 #132) and #37 Joakim Nordstrom C (2010 ANA Rd 5 #132) were all drafted so you got picked in that range if you’re Swedish apparently.

John Klingberg was drafted at #133 after Nordstrom and wasn’t even on the list of 150 European Skaters, which is a weirder omission than Panarin not getting drafted frankly.

2010 CSB FINAL (EUR SKATERS)

As a side note, the Blueshirt Banter draft thread in 2010 is legendary in the build-up of their excitement as Cam Fowler remains available until their #10 pick and when Sather takes Dylan McIlrath they’re all brutally stunned, but not surprised at all in a might-as-well-give-up-on-life sort of way. Some of responses are hilarious and merciless. (It’s been years since I’ve seen it but a group meltdown for the ages.)
You must work in police with data and finding evidences. World needs you.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I have Okhotyuk ranked over Bahl, but not Misyul. But I have to say, after Luke Hughes and Mukhamadullin it's very close for me among the middle crop of Devils D -- Okhotyuk, Bahl, Vukojevic, Misyul and Zaitsev. I just like Okhotyuk the best out of the group, call it personal preference.

Agree Okhotyuk brings to the ice a lot of what the Devils lack....

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Smith has upside, we know this because he was pretty effective in certain roles last year. I really have felt all year that he just needs some time in the AHL to get his head straight and his game back. As for Walsh, I've never seen him be remotely effective defensively. I think he can produce points in the NHL given his abilities, but this will come at the cost of probably costing more high-danger chances against. I'd like to see Walsh shopped in the off-season -- as a RD with offensive ability, certain teams may value him more than I do.
smith biggest issue is the lack of a defensive oriented partner, who can clean up his mistakes. severson was that - sometimes - last season and it allowed smith to focus on his strengths. with hamilton, severson and subban on the roster his best fit severson is asked to play on the shutdown pairing, where this years version of smith is a horrible fit.
as a result and in the absence of hamilton we have seen graves alongside of smith, in attempt to help smith regain his confidence. but long term smith seems like the odd man out, when huges and mukhamadullin fulfill their promise. a okhotyuk type might be a better fit to round out the lhd rotation.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
smith biggest issue is the lack of a defensive oriented partner, who can clean up his mistakes. severson was that - sometimes - last season and it allowed smith to focus on his strengths. with hamilton, severson and subban on the roster his best fit severson is asked to play on the shutdown pairing, where this years version of smith is a horrible fit.
as a result and in the absence of hamilton we have seen graves alongside of smith, in attempt to help smith regain his confidence. but long term smith seems like the odd man out, when huges and mukhamadullin fulfill their promise. a okhotyuk type might be a better fit to round out the lhd rotation.

I agree with most of this. I'm not sure Smith is more valuable to the Devils future core than he would be in a trade scenario. Both Vancouver and Calgary will be actively seeking defensemen this off-season and, with their geographical location in Ty Smith's native Western Canada, they might make perfect sense in a "change of scenery" attempt to return Smith to the great promise he showed last season. Both Vancouver and Calgary have players who would be of great interest to the Devils, as well.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I agree with most of this. I'm not sure Smith is more valuable to the Devils future core than he would be in a trade scenario. Both Vancouver and Calgary will be actively seeking defensemen this off-season and, with their geographical location in Ty Smith's native Western Canada, they might make perfect sense in a "change of scenery" attempt to return Smith to the great promise he showed last season. Both Vancouver and Calgary have players who would be of great interest to the Devils, as well.
I feel like it’s too early to be talking about a change of scenery for Ty Smith. He’s 21 and has played 85 NHL games. He had a bad start to this season and has been okay lately although not as good as last year. He’s literally only played 1 season worth of games. In another season or two if he still hasn’t been able to find his game and his offense and the promise he showed then it makes sense to start talking about a change in scenery for Smith. I know that wasn’t the focus of what you were saying and I do think for our sake it might be worth looking at what we could get in a trade for him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like it’s too early to be talking about a change of scenery for Ty Smith. He’s 21 and has played 85 NHL games. He had a bad start to this season and has been okay lately although not as good as last year. He’s literally only played 1 season worth of games. In another season or two if he still hasn’t been able to find his game and his offense and the promise he showed then it makes sense to start talking about a change in scenery for Smith. I know that wasn’t the focus of what you were saying and I do think for our sake it might be worth looking at what we could get in a trade for him.

The Devils have two very good and young LD on the roster in Graves and Siegenthaler. Two of their top four prospects are also LD, with Luke Hughes an easy #1 and Shakir Mukhamadullin at #3 or #4. The Devils greatest prospect depth is also at LD with Okhotyuk, Bahl, Vukojevic, Misyul and Zaitsev. If there is any expendable and valuable asset in the entire Devils organization, it's Ty Smith. If the Devils can use him as a centerpiece to get the interior, top 6 forward they need? It makes a ton of sense, in my humble opinion.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The Devils have two very good and young LD on the roster in Graves and Siegenthaler. Two of their top four prospects are also LD, with Luke Hughes an easy #1 and Shakir Mukhamadullin at #3 or #4. The Devils greatest prospect depth is also at LD with Okhotyuk, Bahl, Vukojevic, Misyul and Zaitsev. If there is any expendable and valuable asset in the entire Devils organization, it's Ty Smith. If the Devils can use him as a centerpiece to get the interior, top 6 forward they need? It makes a ton of sense, in my humble opinion.

I have a hard time seeing NJ move Smith until Luke arrives. He's Jack's scooter buddy and broccoli sensei. If they move Smith they probably have to find someone else to buddy up with Jack if Luke isn't in NJ yet.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I have a hard time seeing NJ move Smith until Luke arrives. He's Jack's scooter buddy and broccoli sensei. If they move Smith they probably have to find someone else to buddy up with Jack if Luke isn't in NJ yet.

Jack Hughes is an adult, and he has to know professional sports are a business. If the Devils -- hypothetically of course -- have a shot at Matt Tkachuk and Calgary wants Smith as part of the return, I don't see how anyone could argue it. I mean, that's a huge hypothetical, but Smith may be the expendable piece of greatest potential value for the Devils.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Jack Hughes is an adult, and he has to know professional sports are a business. If the Devils -- hypothetically of course -- have a shot at Matt Tkachuk and Calgary wants Smith as part of the return, I don't see how anyone could argue it. I mean, that's a huge hypothetical, but Smith may be the expendable piece of greatest potential value for the Devils.

I get it. I agree Smith should be the odd man out. But, to me, Jack is kind of sort of an adult. He'd be a college junior in another life. To me that's a grey area. Some are more adult than others. I imagine you recall some of those days. I'm not saying it would change what I'd do but the organization for better or worse is casting its lot with Jack and I imagine keeping him happy is important to them. If CAL said we want Smith and Zacha and a prospect not named Hughes or Holtz my guess is that NJ says yes and worries about Jack later but I'd expect they tell him they are sorry they had to send out his buddy. Most other guys wouldn't even get a call if a friend is sent out.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think it’s unlikely they do that this off-season but I wouldn’t be against it.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Boqvist has (extremely) quietly reached a 30 point pace this season, and that’s while getting absolutely shafted with deployment and linemates (and especially, in my opinion, coaching). Blake Coleman didn’t reach 30 points in his first full season, and he was 3 years older.

I don’t think he’s shown the scoring prowess we wanted, but he’s shown he’s capable of a career as a more than effective bottom-6 forward. And I’m still convinced that if he and Holtz were able to spend the whole year in Utica, they’d be pushing for the league lead in scoring and we’d all be salivating at the thought of them adding them both to the lineup ASAP.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Also not to hijack this thread for a different writer, but Wheeler is running through his organizational rankings with the Athletic and with Columbus announced today at #6, Devils are gonna be top-5.

I’m a little surprised because i don’t think any of the Devils’ prospects quite match up with the best prospects in the league, but maybe he’s really liked what he’s seen from Holtz and Hughes so far this year. I’m sure the depth of the Devils’ system is a key factor.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Also not to hijack this thread for a different writer, but Wheeler is running through his organizational rankings with the Athletic and with Columbus announced today at #6, Devils are gonna be top-5.

I’m a little surprised because i don’t think any of the Devils’ prospects quite match up with the best prospects in the league, but maybe he’s really liked what he’s seen from Holtz and Hughes so far this year. I’m sure the depth of the Devils’ system is a key factor.
Holtz I could see a debate, but curious as to why you don’t see Luke as one of the best D prospects in the league. He’s up there, like really up there imo. There are maybe only 2, maybe 3 d-men prospects I’d take before L. Hughes, tops.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Holtz I could see a debate, but curious as to why you don’t see Luke as one of the best D prospects in the league. He’s up there, like really up there imo. There are maybe only 2, maybe 3 d-men prospects I’d take before L. Hughes, tops.
Power and Sanderson easily take top spots IMO and then there’s the guys that went after Power in last years draft who have all had seemingly good seasons and could make a case for the next spots. Hughes, Clarke and Edvinsson. Maybe some others with fringe cases but no one else major that I can think of off the top of my head.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Power and Sanderson easily take top spots IMO and then there’s the guys that went after Power in last years draft who have all had seemingly good seasons and could make a case for the next spots. Hughes, Clarke and Edvinsson. Maybe some others with fringe cases but no one else major that I can think of off the top of my head.
Sanderson and Power are exactly the 2 I had in mind. Edvinsson and Clarke are indeed close, but I still take Hughes.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

You're not hijacking this -- this thread is welcome for all Devils prospects-followers.

I also rank the Devils in the top 5. Luke Hughes has tremendous upside -- just superstar potential. Holtz can be a perennial 30 goal guy. Gritsyuk/Mukhamadullin look like top 6/top 4 guys. The depth is tremendous -- Stillman, Foote, Okhotyuk, Bahl, Misyul, Thompson, McCarthy, etc etc.

I often disagree with Scott Wheeler, but I certainly agree with him here.

Reactions: Devs3cups

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'd rank Luke Hughes as the #3 D prospect after #1 Sanderson and #2 Power.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad