News Article: Devils Owners Seeking NFL Team

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Damn, they're about to ruin another team. Am I right!?

sips-tea-stephen-a-smith.gif

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Imagine the life of those guys ….
Hmm I kinda like football … I think I’ll buy myself a team .
Imagine if you could buy you favourite team. Like imagine if anyone on here could buy the devils. You could actually influence/control all these things that we talk about on here.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Imagine if you could buy you favourite team. Like imagine if anyone on here could buy the devils. You could actually influence/control all these things that we talk about on here.
Ben Lovejoy as number one defenseman again....the mind boggles at the possibilities.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It probably wouldn’t be a good thing if I owned the Devils as I’d be like the Knights owner . First shiny toy available I’d want . Forsberg ! I don’t care how much he wants , get him now !
30 games later - Trade Forsberg , he sucks , he’s not scoring 40g a year like I thought he would …
I’d fire some scouts and hire Mr. Ives as head of scouting

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Except they've got a piece of like ten teams - some big and some small. Hardly conducive to running any of them with anything other than a general mission statement and a budget. You get into that many teams, and it's more for financial reasons than actually wanting to improve them on the field. Steve Cohen could buy all the teams he wanted and more, but he only wants his one team.

I think they have to divest from their 5% of the Steelers if they do buy the Broncos.

Damn, they're about to ruin another team. Am I right!?

sips-tea-stephen-a-smith.gif
I'm actually surprised they haven't torpedoed Crystal Palace yet lol...then again relegation and the money that comes from staying in the Premier League is a pretty big incentive to not use the 'process' there.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Do they even buy their favorite teams?

Its like being a Devils fan and then buying the Charlotte Hornets.

Then a few years later you but the Arizona Cardinals.

Then you go out and buy the St. Louis Cardinals because you want to consolidate the brands.

My3Sons

Sponsor
It probably wouldn’t be a good thing if I owned the Devils as I’d be like the Knights owner . First shiny toy available I’d want . Forsberg ! I don’t care how much he wants , get him now !
30 games later - Trade Forsberg , he sucks , he’s not scoring 40g a year like I thought he would …
I’d fire some scouts and hire Mr. Ives as head of scouting
Props for @StevenToddIves as head of amateur scouting. Top European scout would have to be @Guadana. The team would also have to have @Guttersniped on staff for no other reason than to smoke cigars and curse at the scouting staff meetings so the videos released to the public could have the words beeped over.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Then you go out and buy the St. Louis Cardinals because you want to consolidate the brands.
No I don’t think they do. It’s much more of just a business thing I believe

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Like any good capitalist, they're looking for franchises where they can increase the value. NFL teams print their own money, while in the EPL you probably can only be a mid-lower table Premier League team (a la Crystal Palace) and hope to turn a profit - the big teams have to spend a shitload of money to keep up with the joneses and try to compete in the big international tournaments, while the relegated teams lose their big payout from being in the EPL. Us with a relatively new arena was a prime target for moneymaking, they probably bought us as much for - if not more for - the arena rights.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Except they've got a piece of like ten teams - some big and some small. Hardly conducive to running any of them with anything other than a general mission statement and a budget. You get into that many teams, and it's more for financial reasons than actually wanting to improve them on the field. Steve Cohen could buy all the teams he wanted and more, but he only wants his one team.

I think they have to divest from their 5% of the Steelers if they do buy the Broncos.

I'm actually surprised they haven't torpedoed Crystal Palace yet lol...then again relegation and the money that comes from staying in the Premier League is a pretty big incentive to not use the 'process' there.
I know that’s no why they are. Just thinking about how awesome it would be if you could. And I feel like it would be better for the team if it’s the right person who’s still smart and let’s knowledgeable people run things.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Like any good capitalist, they're looking for franchises where they can increase the value. NFL teams print their own money, while in the EPL you probably can only be a mid-lower table Premier League team (a la Crystal Palace) and hope to turn a profit - the big teams have to spend a shitload of money to keep up with the joneses and try to compete in the big international tournaments, while the relegated teams lose their big payout from being in the EPL. Us with a relatively new arena was a prime target for moneymaking, they probably bought us as much for - if not more for - the arena rights.
Frankly, if the NHL dollars are relatively modest in their scheme of things that's probably a good thing. It's easy to give your kids $20 when they want. It's more difficult to give them $10k when they want. Scale up the numbers but the premise stands.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I know that’s no why they are. Just thinking about how awesome it would be if you could. And I feel like it would be better for the team if it’s the right person who’s still smart and let’s knowledgeable people run things.
Cohen's living that dream in Flushing as we speak...and every Met fan is loving it too. I don't know how many other owners in sports can actually buy their favorite team - Bob Kraft (yuck) is the other one that comes to mind immediately, their value was at an all-time low when he came in.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I believe you can't own an NFL team if you owne a sports team currently thay plays in a different market than the team you are purchasing.

The Kroenke's own the Nuggets and Avalanche but the father signed the teams ownership over to his sons so he can purchase the St Louis Rams. So their is a loophole I suppose. Maybe the NFL changed their stance on this but I'm not tot sure.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Not necessarily true on the EPL stuff. Those big teams make ridiculous amounts of money. Sometimes they sign a player for a lot of money but most of that money could be made back just from the shirt sales of that new player if it’s a big enough name. And then there’s big financial rewards based on how well they do and for winning or doing well in domestic and/or European tournaments. That’s also why they’re trying to buy Chelsea. And the thing is any mid-table team is at risk of dropping down any season. It isn’t easy to just continuously sit in the middle of the league without being relegated. Crystal Palace has spent 9 seasons now in the top league which is really good but have come a little closer than they probably would like on a few occasions to being relegated. But even while you don’t want to be relegated as they then have to fight to get back in the top division and sell some players making it harder to stay in once they are back if they bounce back well enough the financial reward for winning the championship (2nd division) is huge.

It looks like it’s a bit all-over the place in terms of which teams make the most profit. The top teams spend a lot but those big clubs also bring in ridiculous amounts of money. It’s really complicated.
There’s also a team like Liverpool right now who have done an incredible job recently of making great value transfers and selling high on some guys giving them a lower net spend than quite a few other clubs that aren’t as good. But I’m not even sure they’re making a great profit because there’s a lot of other things that seem to suck up money.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Props for @StevenToddIves as head of amateur scouting. Top European scout would have to be @Guadana. The team would also have to have @Guttersniped on staff for no other reason than to smoke cigars and curse at the scouting staff meetings so the videos released to the public could have the words beeped over.
Don’t worry , you are head of the legal department. Bleed however can’t be goalie analyst because we would go through 4532 goalies a year . “ I have him for 4 stoppable tonight …. NEXT!

My3Sons

Sponsor
Don’t worry , you are head of the legal department. Bleed however can’t be goalie analyst because we would go through 4532 goalies a year . “ I have him for 4 stoppable tonight …. NEXT!
Just so long as you let me sit in the owners box and drink”Perrier” while the team is getting pummeled. @Guttersniped can stop by my office before scouting meetings to grab a Cohiba robusto or maybe a Monte No. 2 to light up and blow smoke at whoever needs to be cursed at to shut them up.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I want to start as a regular jr scout. I am always interested in someone else's experience and career prerspectives. I can't start working right away from a high position, otherwise Steve will lose his job too quickly, and I won't have time to learn from his experience, emphasize something important from his approaches to work and thinking in general.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad