GDT: Devils @ Lightning - 7:00PM - MSG2

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
At this point if you wouldn’t go back and undo the Timo Meier trade/extension I do not understand you.

I supported it at the time too, and I don’t think we gave up too much, but he’s been a disaster.

Yea people will point to Dougie’s first year and say Timo will bounce back. But Dougie was still a solid player. Timo looks awful. Hopefully he bounces back with a new coach. Palat looks a lot better than him when they both play

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
At this point if you wouldn’t go back and undo the Timo Meier trade/extension I do not understand you.

I supported it at the time too, and I don’t think we gave up too much, but he’s been a disaster.

Making judgments like this after one calendar year of a long-term extension is always a sound approach.

He hasn’t been good this year, it’s obvious. But everything that could go wrong this season for the team ultimately has. He’s far from alone in having been disappointing.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Making judgments after one calendar year of a long-term extension is always a sound approach.

He hasn’t been good this year, it’s obvious. But everything that could go wrong this season for the team ultimately has. He’s far from alone in having been disappointing.

So you’re saying that if you had a magic button to reverse the trade/extension right now, you wouldn’t do it?

A calendar year is a long time. Versus expectations, I can’t think of anyone that’s been as bad as Timo, not even close.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
So you’re saying that if you had a magic button to reverse the trade/extension right now, you wouldn’t do it?

A calendar year is a long time. Versus expectations, I can’t think of anyone that’s been as bad as Timo, not even close.

No, I wouldn’t. And I can’t believe I have to fall down this rabbit hole once more, but he was an effective player for us last year when acquired and in the playoffs.

He hasn’t been good this year, but he also hasn’t been healthy on top of it. It’s unquestionably a disappointing year, and yes he would probably top my list of disappointments this year. It wouldn’t make me reverse the move because I still believe in the player.

Reactions: My3Sons

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

I know I wouldn’t. What good would zetterlund and mukh be doing us right now? Timo was literally the archetype of player this board was clamoring for for years. He didn’t get on the score sheet much against the rangers last year, but he was the most dominant offensive player and gave Igor fits. I’m not going to judge a player in his first year of a contract where he’s been injured and the team as a whole has played like a flaming bag of dog shit.

And the contract does not bother me one bit. It’s right in line for what a player of his caliber deserves, and as numerous other teams have shown us, the salary cap can be manipulated to fit any and all needs.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I keep saying it, we didn't need Timo, we tore the shit out of the league without him. We should have kept our powder dry and used those assets elsewhere down the line. That contract is really going to f*** us in the future with all that cash tied up, I'm going to keep saying it until he proves otherwise.

Things really blew up for Fitz, with the amazing season we had he kind of went for it with Timo and then Toffoli. I think he thought the goaltending would be good enough going forward. Probably thought (at least we did) that losing Graves and Sevo wasn't a big deal and that the kids on D would step up. He kept Ruff because you can't dump him after last season, if we had a shit season last year we probably get Brunette this year and maybe we don't make those trades. Throw in the McLeod situation and it's just more of a mess.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

It’s fairly obvious that he is garbage this year because of injury. It’s possible that he’s completely cooked damaged goods and we have a nearly 9 million dollar useless bum on the team. But it’s also possible that he’ll get back to what he once was when whatever he has heals up.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I keep saying it, we didn't need Timo, we tore the shit out of the league without him. We should have kept our powder dry and used those assets elsewhere down the line. That contract is really going to f*** us in the future with all that cash tied up, I'm going to keep saying it until he proves otherwise.

Things really blew up for Fitz, with the amazing season we had he kind of went for it with Timo and then Toffoli. I think he thought the goaltending would be good enough going forward. Probably thought (at least we did) that losing Graves and Sevo wasn't a big deal and that the kids on D would step up. He kept Ruff because you can't dump him after last season, if we had a shit season last year we probably get Brunette this year and maybe we don't make those trades. Throw in the McLeod situation and it's just more of a mess.
IMG_1674.jpeg

Remember the good times. It’s just not fair to judge the trade, contract, or anything around that move when the player we got is just not who we paid for due to injury.

I don’t need to ever hear about Graves and Severson, ever again. The kids have stepped up and are better than them already. Clearly the correct move to move on from both and I do that 100 times out of 100. Fitz is good, but he’s not “anticipate losing your whole 1st pairing for the entire season” good.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
View attachment 812165

Remember the good times. It’s just not fair to judge the trade, contract, or anything around that move when the player we got is just not who we paid for due to injury.

I don’t need to ever hear about Graves and Severson, ever again. The kids have stepped up and are better than them already. Clearly the correct move to move on from both and I do that 100 times out of 100. Fitz is good, but he’s not “anticipate losing your whole 1st pairing for the entire season” good.
Was this from the Rangers series? Yeah he was a beast and we need him to get back to that. We better hope that these injuries don't keep further degrading him, these type of players don't age well, he's our highest paid forward which is insane.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Get d some of your points but disagree with what you thought Nico said or at least not all of it ...He did talk about the players but he said starts with emotion on the bench that's the coaching..Tampa made adjustments didn't see many by Ruff.....
We played our best period in the 3rd. If TB made adjustments and we didn't, then TB's adjustments must have been in our favor.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
I missed this game. Is there a 3 or 4 line recap.

Who was good.
Who was bad.
Anything of note...?

I saw the score sheet and saw the shots were terrible at some point.
I guess we’re the lucky ones.
If people want better defensive play then maybe it should be Brad Shaw.
NJD legend.

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
Just watched the highlights. The passivity of Hughes, Marino, Nemec, and Bahl on being net front and boxing out and being physical more generally was pathetic. The pride in defending and dominating the opponents physically is not there right now. Hughes’ decision making the last 10 games has also been terrible. Honestly if we had a full D lineup he would be a candidate to be scratched a game. Same with Bahl.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Technically the season isn't lost but if we turn it around or not goal is to compete for multiple cups and best bet is to sell Toffoli get best asset we can and this allows them to move up Holtz and that asset can be used to do moves in the summer where it will be well thought out and some teams will be needing to make moves themselves hopefully keeping the cost within reason....Maybe an Ullmark to hold us until Daws Malek are ready to step in maybe Schmid finds his game....Would allow Clarke to come up too....This team will need miracle to win cup this year is there a shot sure but they probably get bounced first round if they get in at all....

Holtz will still be stuck on 4th line even if Toffoli gets traded. He's been used as a LW so it doesn't benefit Holtz.

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Said it before, I'll say it again. Fitz probably wasn't expecting Siegs and Marino to play so poorly. That's the core issue. The rookies have been playing well. Sure they've been making mistakes but when your older guys are playing like ass it just hurts the team a lot. Even with Graves and Sev over Luke and Nemec, the d would be trash with current level Sieg and Marino is playing at.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
We played our best period in the 3rd. If TB made adjustments and we didn't, then TB's adjustments must have been in our favor.
First to second Tampa adjusted then looked like they just sat back but every time we scored they pounced right back....Best period in third? was still mistake ridden....

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Said it before, I'll say it again. Fitz probably wasn't expecting Siegs and Marino to play so poorly. That's the core issue. The rookies have been playing well. Sure they've been making mistakes but when your older guys are playing like ass it just hurts the team a lot. Even with Graves and Sev over Luke and Nemec, the d would be trash with current level Sieg and Marino is playing at.
I think the biggest impact the changes on “D” is on the penalty kill. If the penalty kill would be better than average the team would be in much better shape. Bahl hasn’t been able to step in on this role as expected and it has hurt the team. With Siegs out they are missing 3 defensemen from the kill last year. It has an impact.

Obviously goaltending is still probably the biggest problem with the kill, but they feed into each other. They seemingly give up a lot of shots on the kill. I’m sure of the kill was better the goalies would look better and play with more confidence.

But you couldn’t give those contracts out. 8 and 6 year deal ultimately block guys like Hughes and Nemec.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Timo wasn't good last night, but he also has been very good since he came back from the latest injury. He was just starting to cook before his 1st injury this year too, I think it was 11 points in 11 games or something.

I am obviously disappointed, but to just bail on a contract like 5 months into it is crazy to me. And as I said the other day, we really did not give up anything of value tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad