Dreger: Devils leaning towards taking Nico Hischier Friday

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
In an interview on SiriusXMNHL, Darren Dreger stated that he believes the Devils will take Hischier with the 1st pick. This shocked me, since I know the Devils like their big centres.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Every year there's media buzz and speculation about the potential of the thought-#2 actually going 1. But when's the last time it actually happened? Despite the buzz, Murray didn't unseat Yakupov. Landeskog didn't unseat RNH. Seguin didn't unseat Hall. At some point you have to wonder if there's ever really any question, and whether these speculations are driven by hitcount and not by actual possibility.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Every year there's media buzz and speculation about the potential of the thought-#2 actually going 1. But when's the last time it actually happened? Despite the buzz, Murray didn't unseat Yakupov. Landeskog didn't unseat RNH. Seguin didn't unseat Hall.

What if Nico has been ranked 1st lately?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Every year there's media buzz and speculation about the potential of the thought-#2 actually going 1. But when's the last time it actually happened? Despite the buzz, Murray didn't unseat Yakupov. Landeskog didn't unseat RNH. Seguin didn't unseat Hall. At some point you have to wonder if there's ever really any question, and whether these speculations are driven by hitcount and not by actual possibility.

Technically Murray did overtake Yakupov but the owner meddled.

I think there was buzz about Duchene overtaking Tavares...that was silly.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

McKenzie, Pronman, Button, McCagg and others have Nico number 1

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
McKenzie, Pronman, Button, McCagg and others have Nico number 1

So media entities, whose revenue is driven by hitcount and hitcount is driven by controversy, are naming the upset while all the reputable and established scouting services have Patrick #1? Sounds about right.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
So media entities, whose revenue is driven by hitcount and hitcount is driven by controversy, are naming the upset while all the reputable and established scouting services have Patrick #1? Sounds about right.

Hockey Prospect (aka the Black Book), McKenzie, who literally polled scouts and Pronman, who isn't after hits since he's subscription based aren't reputable?

I think Button or Bob (can't remember which) has gotten 15 in a row first OA. There is plenty of smoke here

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Has Patrick been the clear cut #1 for a while though? All signs indicate that the two are as equal as they come. Obviously clicks will always be a factor in what the insiders blurt out, but deciding between Nico and Nolan is probably done by tossing a coin. There doesn't even seem to be that much of bad blood between those who discuss this - they are simply so equal that it's not considered to be that bad to disagree on the matter. :laugh:

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Both Patrick and Hischier are good players. Great for our I-95 rivalry to be rejuvenated.

I think some of the concerns with both relate to whether you believe Hischier has only just started ascending as a prospect and still has more helium or this is a blip, and if you're concerned if Patrick has a legitimate injury penchant he can't shake and thus may plateau a bit and not reach max consistency.

I think Devils take Hischier. He fits the identity Shero and Castron want going forward with speed, hockey smarts, playmaking. They have McLeod coming in soon at C. McLeod and Hischier together is a heck of a duo.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

This is an incredibly weak argument. You don't know who McKenzie is if you think he's concerned about his "hit count".

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Most lists I have seen in the past couple weeks have Nico at #1.

I think it may be a bigger upset if Patrick went first at this point.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Technically Murray did overtake Yakupov but the owner meddled.

I think there was buzz about Duchene overtaking Tavares...that was silly.

I thought the debate was Tavares or Hedman?

But if we're talking past years a few that come to mind are:

Ekblad overtaking Bennett (2014)
MacKinnon overtaking Jones (2013)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He's the safer pick. Been saying it since before the playoffs started.
Don't draft someone that gets hurt every year top 5.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
I honestly wouldn't be surprised. I feel like Hischier would fit better with NJ and Patrick would fit better with the Flyers. Patrick is just so much stronger that I can't see him in NJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad