Pre-Game Talk: Devils @ Leafs - MONDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I have no idea what Fenwick is and quick google search didn't explain much either (unlike Corsi). Can anyone explain to me why Leafs should worry more about it than other stat like, say, Corsi (where they are 5th)?

Don't think of me as ignorant. I am well aware that we have played like crap lately, and that list does kind of make sense to me, including our position in it.

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
BQB6LsS.png

From what I've read about it, a problem with Fenwick is it is based strictly on shots for/against, so teams that cycle well + grind the opponent down (since neither stat records a shot 90% of the time) will get outshot and are poorly represented in the stat. Now saying that, I agree that with the way the leafs are playing, it will result in quite a slide down the standings, but having a more lax schedule for march may help contribute to playing better.

I think more telling stats for the leafs are that they're both top 5 in goals/game as well as tied for 10th in Goals against/game, while also having a PK 15th and a PP 18th (which slid down from 10th a week ago).

I have no idea what Fenwick is and quick google search didn't explain much either (unlike Corsi). Can anyone explain to me why Leafs should worry more about it than other stat like, say, Corsi (where they are 5th)?

Don't think of me as ignorant. I am well aware that we have played like crap lately, and that list does kind of make sense to me, including our position in it.

In the simplest form, It measures puck possession using shots for Vs. shots against. Teams with higher Fenwick shoot the puck more than they get shot on.

Urban Explorer*

That stuff is interesting. Do you have a graph like for last year's final standings? Does it add up last year?

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Just hope the leafs start playing the way they did prior the 6-0 blowout win with habs. They've been noticibly worse since that win

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just hope the leafs start playing the way they did prior the 6-0 blowout win with habs. They've been noticibly worse since that win

Whatever the case is we have been utter crap ever since we saw us play in raleigh.

I just hope we get something going on now with a healthy group and possible some trades in.

Kyle Doobas*

From what I've read about it, a problem with Fenwick is it is based strictly on shots for/against, so teams that cycle well + grind the opponent down (since neither stat records a shot 90% of the time) will get outshot and are poorly represented in the stat. Now saying that, I agree that with the way the leafs are playing, it will result in quite a slide down the standings, but having a more lax schedule for march may help contribute to playing better.
Full article on Score-Adjusted Fenwick here:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/Score-Adjusted-Fenwick-Standings-Is-Your-Team-For-Real/134/49651#.UTIaUDB4KHg

That stuff is interesting. Do you have a graph like for last year's final standings? Does it add up last year?
http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/1/28/2748031/playoff-probabilities-applying-score-adjusted-fenwick

I first heard about it last season when a few of the advanced stats junkies were predicting that the Minnesota Wild weren't the real deal and would fall dramatically from 1st place in the West. Should be interesting to see what happens with the Ducks in particular over the next couple of months.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am sick and tired of these so called advanced stats. Some nerds make them up and they pretend that they mean something. You can make up pretty much any stat that you want. I never really cared for these advanced stats. I don't care what they say. If the Leafs happen to slide down the standings it won't be because Fenwick told me so or whatever. Come at me, advanced stats junkies :P

Last edited:

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
I am sick and tired of these so called advanced stats. Some nerds make them up and they pretend that they mean something. You can make up pretty much any stat that you want. I never really cared for these advanced stats. I don't care what they say. If the Leafs happen to slide down the standings it won't be because Fenwick told me so or whatever. Come at me, advanced stats junkies :P

Would you like to pick one and explain an actual problem you have with it, or stick with generic anti-intellectual nonsense?

As for the Fenwick discussion, it seems logical that the Leafs style of play could lead to them underperforming in it relative to how good the team is. The question is whether we can maintain that style of play - the Islanders game was filled with 'good shots' and scoring chances for them, not well-defended ones. We play like that, we're going to slide hard. Carlyle needs to stomp on that immediately.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Would you like to pick one and explain an actual problem you have with it, or stick with generic anti-intellectual nonsense?

As for the Fenwick discussion, it seems logical that the Leafs style of play could lead to them underperforming in it relative to how good the team is. The question is whether we can maintain that style of play - the Islanders game was filled with 'good shots' and scoring chances for them, not well-defended ones. We play like that, we're going to slide hard. Carlyle needs to stomp on that immediately.

Remier needs to shake off the rust that's all

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590
Matt Frattin has been cleared for contact. Will take part in first full contact practice tomorrow
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
Leafs holding off-ice workouts today. Also second set of individual player meetings. Carlyle says it's something they'll do every 6-8 games.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Its really good to hear that RC does these individual meetings. Communication is why this team has such a good relationship with him.

And Frattin's on his way back :handclap:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590
Matt Frattin has been cleared for contact. Will take part in first full contact practice tomorrow
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
Leafs holding off-ice workouts today. Also second set of individual player meetings. Carlyle says it's something they'll do every 6-8 games.

Welcome back Frattin! :party:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Well it's definitely a good way to tell them where their flaws and assets are. So I am glad. I hope they improve and also get a kick in their behind for more.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Lance Hornby ‏@sunhornby
Carlyle on his one-year anniversary as Leaf coach: "It's been a whirlwind".
Lance Hornby ‏@sunhornby
No Leafs on-ice today, Carlyle conducting 1 on 1 player meetings and gym workouts. Frattin skated, will re-join main practice Sunday.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Carlyle on whether Kadri has maturity to stay grounded: 'It’s always a test. You don’t just come out one day & say a player has it.'

Carlyle on Kadri not getting carried away from hat-trick buzz: 'It’s another test for a young player to manage the accolades'

Carlyle: 'I’m sure you’ve done some things in your life you’d like to take back as a 22-year-old. I know I have.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Carlyle on Kadri: 'There’s too much over-analyzing going on ... I don’t think we have to get too carried away ... he’s a work in progress.' <_ THANK YOU GOD HE UNDERSTANDS!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Its really good to hear that RC does these individual meetings. Communication is why this team has such a good relationship with him.

And Frattin's on his way back :handclap:

would love to be a fly on the wall for some of them.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Frattin on whether Kadri trash talks: "Well, he’s not saying, ‘Hey, how’s it going? I haven’t seen you in awhile.’ He’s intense."

Leafs' Frattin says he can tell good friend & linemate Kadri is on his game when he's talking a lot to opposition players during games

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Who do we want to win between Philly and Ott cause Philly is winning

If Ottawa continues with a tailspin down the standings after this game, then, I want Philly to win.

Just no 3 point game!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad