GDT: Devils @ Islanders, 7:30 PM, Apocalypse Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
When scoring 3 they should have been closer to.500 based on league average... sure...

So 5 games we are talking here...5 from the loss column to win column puts you at 9-9-3...5 games.

I am just not willing to concede that goaltending alone is the reason for the gap...the team in previous years has been terrible defensively and sub par offensively...to lay the 5 games at the feet of goaltending alone seems rather absurd to me

You're absolutely right about previous seasons. But last season's issues were way less driven by a lack of lack goal scoring. Improved goaltending and defense will improve their point total a hell of a lot more than going from 248 goals to 275 goals.

Reactions: My3Sons

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
That is what you need, yes.

Last year, the Devils were 3-15-4 when scoring 2 goals, which makes a kind of sense, you need more than 2 goals to win. The real problem is that they were 4-14-3 when they scored 3 goals. That speaks to the goaltending.
What was their record when scoring 4 or more?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
When scoring 3 they should have been closer to.500 based on league average... sure...

So 5 games we are talking here...5 from the loss column to the win column puts you at 9-9-3...5 games.

I am just not willing to concede that goaltending alone is the reason for the gap...the team in previous years has been terrible defensively and sub par offensively...to lay the 5 games at the feet of goaltending alone seems rather absurd to me
aren’t you arguing this with a small number of posters at this point? I think the consensus position is that both the defensive effort and the goalies were bad. Trying to debate them as mutually exclusive seems unnecessary.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You're absolutely right about previous seasons. But last season's issues were way less driven by a lack of lack goal scoring. Improved goaltending and defense will improve their point total a hell of a lot more than going from 248 goals to 275 goals.
I think there is synergy between both.

I think having a cushion and playing with a lead changes the game completely for both teams.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And yet we're 21st in actual GF/G.

They played amazing, but it was still scary to only be up 2-0 after all of that. The (second) Palat goal was massive.

The finish has to improve, they just can't keep being required to work so hard for so little.

if the Devils continue shooting

A) at the volume they have been (#1 in shots for per game and CF%, by far)
B) the amount of high danger chances they have been (#1 in high danger CF%, by far)

they will score a LOT of goals this year....that I am not worried about.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
aren’t you arguing this with a small number of posters at this point? I think the consensus position is that both the defensive effort and the goalies were bad. Trying to debate them as mutually exclusive seems unnecessary.
I think defense and goaltending are only 2/3 of the problem... offense is very much still a problem too.

When you need to pile up 40 shots to score 2 goals like the first two games there's an inefficiency that is being overlooked.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think defensive and goaltending are only 2/3 of the problem... offense is very much still a problem too.

When you need to pile up 40 shots to score 2 goals like the first two games there's an inefficiency that is being overlooked.
They are having to work too hard to score goals but a couple of the goals last night were of thr easy variety. The league shoots about 9% overall? I’d expect that to even out at some point. Not every opponent goakie will play well. It’s still early and small sample size. They are roughly a league average team on offense based on last season. That’s still way ahead of where the goalies and defense were. I don’t think the fans were booing Ruff because of the lack of NJ offense.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Last night they still needed 42 shots on goal to score 3 goals with a goalie in the net...

Sorokin played brilliantly, no question. But the Devils need to find a way to score with more frequency and with less effort.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Last night they still needed 42 shots on goal to score 3 goals with a goalie in the net...

Sorokin played brilliantly, no question. But the Devils need to find a way to score with more frequency and with less effort.
You're not wrong, but between posts, whiffs and absurd saves they could've easily scored 8 goals last night.

Little more puck luck and it would've looked even more lopsided.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

I don't think anyone disagrees with you. But I also don't think that the Devils are going to have much trouble in the long term if they continue generating this many chances/quality chances.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. But I also don't think that the Devils are going to have much trouble in the long term if they continue generating this many chances/quality chances.
I think they will have a problem going forward.

If they continue to need 38 or 40 shots to score the league average 3 goals they are going to come out on the wrong side more often than not.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This has been a tragic 24 hours on here between this new tangent, the bizarre ‘political’ rant regarding devils Twitter and the insane fake news on Houston with some posters literally asking for people to disprove it with sources….

Keeps getting lower and lower.

Last edited:

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

If they continue to need 38 or 40 shots to score the league average 3 goals they are going to come out on the wrong side more often than not.
They scored 248 goals last season. Finishing wasn't that big of an issue for the team. You think Hughes and Bratt are going to combined shoot 3% for the rest of the season?

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

honestly it sounds like you’re running out of things to worry/complain about. i’d be more worried if we couldn’t score and couldn’t get any shots on net. the pucks will start going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad