GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes 7PM, MSGSN - Dano Loves You

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Say what you want guys. Graves 's game was the perfect compliment to Marino's. He does everything well that Marino can't do.

That isn't to say he's a great all round defenseman. But if you want to have a guy to do the heavy lifting around the net and in the corners and free a guy with good offensive instincts up to look up ice, he's your guy.

It's not Marino carrying him bc Marino isn't going to be Marino again until Bahl rounds out his game.

Marino would actually fare better with Miller or Smith as a complement. Not that they are 'better' by any stretch of the imagination; they are a better complement for him.

To be fair they call it a defense pairing for a reason and I think what you are pointing out are the synergistic effects pairing two compatible players can lead to. Graves did a nice job with Marino and likely both helped the other. Graves never had great offensive touch and Marino was never one to clear the front of the net. In a different world Graves would have had another season or two on his deal and he’d still be with NJ but his new contract needed to be somewhere else. Bahl has not gotten to the level of Graves yet but with some work he should be able to get there.

Camille the Eel

While I posted this earlier on another thread, it seems pertinent here as it pertains to Bret Burns and our game last night. While watching Burns tip away a pass to the back door about half way through the game that would have resulted in a sure slam dunk, I wondered if there recently have been two aging players who have performed better at their stage of their careers with their new teams than Pavelski and Burns?

When San Jose unloaded both of them, I bet few people thought they had this much tread left on their tires. Both have been outstanding in their arrière-careers. Burns was absolutely terrific last night. No defenseman in the league is better at getting his shot through quickly and decisively after getting the puck on the offensive end or at QB’ing the power play either; he killed us with a late tying goal in the concluding game of our playoff series against them last year; but he also still plays amazing defense; like last night - guarding the crease and shutting down our passes and plays to keep us and the puck away from their net. If I’m Carolina right now I think he’s every bit as key to me as Slavin is in making a run in the playoffs.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sure, but consistently trying to pass through a defender for a tap in is ridiculous too. The guy is SUPPOSED to make that play if he’s there. Shoot and the rebound could be chaos

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
To be fair they call it a defense pairing for a reason and I think what you are pointing out are the synergistic effects pairing two compatible players can lead to. Graves did a nice job with Marino and likely both helped the other. Graves never had great offensive touch and Marino was never one to clear the front of the net. In a different world Graves would have had another season or two on his deal and he’d still be with NJ but his new contract needed to be somewhere else. Bahl has not gotten to the level of Graves yet but with some work he should be able to get there.

Yeah agree completely. It was fine to let the walk, if you accept this was a growing, learning year. I'm ok with it.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad