Prospect Info: Devils HFBoards 2022 Draft Resource, Indexed Profiles A Thru Z

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Alexander Suzdalev, HV71 J20 Sweden Jr. (STI Ranking #93, McKenzie #89)
Suzdalev is a wild card for the 2022 draft. One one hand, he's a 6'1-175 winger who combines good skating with an extremely impressive offensive tool kit. He's certainly gotten a lot of attention with his 51 points in 45 games this year in the Swedish J20. Many of his goals are of the dazzling, highlight-reel variety, including a Michigan goal and a few tricky scores from seemingly impossible angles and situations. This is a kid with elite hands who can create something out of nothing. But as with any statement which begins "on one hand" there's another hand, and that other hand makes him a high-risk pick for the early rounds, but a potential high-reward player for the later ones.

Suzdalev has dual citizenship in Sweden and Russia, so the 2022 politically-fueled version of the "Russian Factor" may not lower his draft position too much like many prospects out of his home country. Though Suzdalev has chosen to play for Russia in tournament play, he currently lives in Sweden and is likely to remain there for the duration of the current conflict. One viewing of him is all one needs to see there is obvious top 6 potential in this player. His hands are magic -- he's fluid with the puck as if its an extension of his body, and can use this high-end skill to manipulate and beat opponents. He's crafty and elusive, able to make lightning-fast dekes in tight to simultaneously fool defenders and goaltenders. He's also a good skater, able to reach high speeds in a few strides, while having a nice level of agility and dexterity. Combined with his hands this makes him one of the most dangerous offensive players in the J20.

Suzdalev is also a very adept passer and dangerous shooter. He will shoot from anywhere... literally anywhere. He's scored goals this year from behind the goal line or parallel with it. He's a flashy player, and he's very dangerous in the offensive zone. But, there's a "but" here. Without getting too negative, it's safe to say this is a player who is well below acceptable levels when it comes to defensive play and consistency of compete level. Suzdalev can vanish for long stretches of a game at a time almost as if semi-disinterested in the battle-aspect of the sport of hockey. He's usually the last guy back on the back check and the danger-levels of his playmaking seem to have no relation whatsoever to what is showing on the scoreboard. Though the hope would be that these are all aspects of a player's game which can be improved through coaching and development, Suzdalev can be very frustrating to watch even when you have no rooting interest in the game. I literally spoke to my computer screen on one viewing: "Dude, I'm literally watching this game because of you, can you at least show a little effort here?"

As such, my overall impression of Suzdalev is that he's an early-round risk who gains in value with each passing round of the draft. Someone might take him in the second round due to his obvious skill and draft-eligible season high production. But they also might pass on him because, right now, he's a bit of a coaches nightmare. If he falls to the late rounds -- well, that's where I might take the chance, because Suzdalev's fully stocked tool kit makes him a top 6 caliber steal so late in the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW/RW (left shot) Adam Sykora, HK Nitra Slovakia (STI Ranking #32, McKenzie #63)
Every so often, you luck out. While watching HK Nitra for the specific purpose of scouting top-5 likely defenseman Simon Nemec, another player caught my eye. He was this bottom 6 forward who played with speed, a nice degree of skill and an absolutely ridiculous compete level. Here was this 5'11-175 left wing who seemed to be everywhere on the ice at once, charging the crease and forechecking like a mad man, hitting guys twice his size and winning puck battles left and right. On a commercial break, I found out he was the youngest player on the team at just 17 and his name was Adam Sykora.

With a September birthday, Sykora is one of the youngest players available for the 2022 draft. Though the Slovakian men's league is not quite to the level of the Czech ELH, it is still a very competitive league with multiple former NHL players. Right now, there is only one 2022 draft-eligible player in double digits in goals, and that's Adam Sykora with a very respectable total of 10. To give some context, the most dynamic Slovakian forward available for the 2022 draft is Filip Mesar, who is a slam dunk to be chosen in the 1st round and has a very good chance to go top 15. Mesar has 7 goals. So, who the heck is Adam Sykora and why is he unranked by virtually all the major draft writers and scouting bureaus?

Adam Sykora has a very good skill set, but nothing which jumps off the page as a standout skill. Conversely, he has no particular weakness which could hinder his ascension into the pro ranks. He's a quick skater who can reach nice speeds without being a true speedster. He's a good shooter with good vision and good puck skills, but there's nothing in any of those traits which dazzle you. His offensive awareness is also good, although he gets an uptick in the Hockey IQ box because he's so fundamentally sound and always taking the puck to the net when he has it and crashing the net when he does not. He's especially sharp on the forecheck, well beyond his years in the ability to use deception to manipulate the defense into going where he wants them to. Defensively, he can be described as a high-effort battler who wins pucks you wouldn't think he was capable of winning, but positionally he needs work and can get lost when pinned in the zone.

So, in Adam Sykora we have a player who checks every box across the board but essentially does not wow you with any particular skill. So then, why am I writing him up as one of the best draft-day steals for mid rounds of the 2022 draft? Because his compete level is absolutely exceptional. This kid plays every second of every shift with desperation and fire as if his entire life depended on it. His constant motor and unending desire to win simply elevates every single skill he has and makes him an absolutely terrific hockey player. He is a perpetual disruptive force for the opposition every time he's on the ice, and it's obvious how much his much-older linemates love taking to the ice with him on the wing. Adam Sykora is, in no uncertain terms, a hockey player you want on your team.

As previously stated, Sykora has gone unnoticed by virtually everyone. He's liked by two bureaus -- CSB, who has ranked him as the #36 European prospect (setting him as what they feel is a 5th round pick or so) and Smaht Scouting, which has an anomalously high ranking for the young Slovakian at #48 overall. I could not be more enamored with this player, and he's got the chance to break into my 1st round rankings. This kid is just too overflowing with heart and hard-working not to make it as a successful professional hockey player. It's my conviction he is a high-floor near-lock for an NHL bottom 6, and his willingness to crash the net and score greasy goals combined with good skills across the board give him the upside of a 2nd liner. From the 2nd round on, Adam Sykora represents a sneaky clever draft pick, and if he falls to the middle rounds he has steal-of-the-draft type potential.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW/C Gleb Trikozov, Omskie MHL (STI Ranking #24, McKenzie #57)
It's going to be tough to not compare Trikozov to Perevalov, as they are the two top-rated MHL prospects and their ratings (both in consolidated number and polarizing range) are very close. These are both forwards with calling cards of very good skates and size (Trikozov is 6'1-185), high-end intelligence and compete and an outstanding set of puck skills. Perevalov is scoring at a bit of a higher rate, but Trikozov is not far behind with 45 points in 35 MHL games. We'll divert from the "best in the MHL" argument awhile to take some time and singularly analyze Trikozov's fine set of talents.

Again, Trikozov is a very good skater, with both escapability and very exciting top speeds. If he could work on one aspect, it's the combination of getting going and stopping. Once he's going he's great, but if he could improve the acceleration and the breaks, it would fabulously play up his other skills. I'd say Trikozov's finest attributes are a combination of puckhandling, vision and high intelligence which leads to an incredible, even elite, level of elusiveness and slipperiness. I've seen him stick handling along the boards (where he likes to protect the puck -- he does this all the time) with a defender trying to strip him of the puck on either side of him. With one move and a quick spin, Trikozov flings the puck behind him and rotates to escape the defenders, gathering the puck clean with a step on either of his pursuers. In open ice, a third defender makes the heads up play of going straight at Trikozov, but somehow Trikozov has already anticipated this, making a quick shift and adjustment to get around that player, too. Trikozov is like "The Escape Master" of the 2022 draft, he's Houdini-like in that respect, and it's why I see him as a first round pick. He's not only tough to stop, but he's so good at transition and playmaking that there's no right way to defend him.

However, in the more greasy areas of the game, Trikozov needs many improvements. His defensive game is okay, especially considering his offensive acumen, but he can get caught puck-watching and with sleepy feet. I think his lower anticipation defensively (compared to his extraordinarily high offensive awareness) projects him more to the RW than C, where he seems to have been utilized pretty evenly by his coaches in Omskie. Offensively, he's a good shooter and not weak in the greasy areas, but in these senses he is nowhere near the acumen of Perevalov who excels in all the subtle areas of the game you can possibly think of or imagine. Trikozov, however, is a dual threat who can score despite a good-but-not-outstanding shot because he's so good an anticipating goalies and any possible seam towards them. I can't state enough that Trikozov's brain is his finest attribute, he thinks the game at lightning-speed, he's really a chess Grandmaster who makes everyone else look like they're playing Candyland.

Ultimately, I think Trikozov is a perfect candidate for a top-6 role in the NHL, with the versatility to play some center and either wing. Trikozov is a first round worthy pick to me, anywhere in the second half of the round. If he slips past the first round -- which is indeed possible as teams are often a bit gun-shy with Russians who are not superstar prospects and a few years from the NHL -- he would represent a huge steal in the early 2nd round.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Hudson Thornton, Prince George WHL (STI Ranking: Not Ranked, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Thornton belongs to a general player-type I am often skeptical of, which is to say an undersized defenseman who is offense-first stylistically, but without high-end upside. However, Thornton is still a prospect I like for the 2022 draft due to a better-than-average compete level and defensive acumen. He really impressed in the WHL this season with 45 points in 65 games, and I feel he has legit upside as an NHL bottom pairing guy who can generate some scoring while playing acceptable defense.

Thornton's main problems are the obvious limitations of being 5'11-180 with above-average, but ultimately unimpressive skating ability. This combination is the essence of what limits his game, now and in the future. However, he's a smart kid who works hard and features no shortage of skill. Thornton is an excellent passer, puck handler and features a surprisingly heavy shot for a player his size. He'll put up some offense wherever he goes.

Again, Thornton's defensive areas of concern are not for lack of effort -- I commend him for being a battler and hard worker. However, I can't see any light at the end of a tunnel of Thornton's problems defending again high-speed forwards and power forwards. Though he is smart positionally and solid in his gaps, we're not talking an Andy Greene-type defensive efficiency, and I think he'll always be something of a match-up concern.

Thornton is generally considered to be in the neighborhood of a 5th round pick, though eliteprospects.com is quite high on him and has given him a high-water ranking of #81. I agree Thornton is a good player who has NHL potential, but I'm not sure if this is a player I would chance until the final couple of rounds.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Antonin Verreault, Gatineau QMJHL (STI ranking #117, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Boy, is Verreault fun to watch in open ice. The 5'8-155 water-bug can skate with elite top speeds and agility, and combines this with some of the best hands in the entire draft. He's elite at zone entries, routinely turning QMJHL defenders into pylons with a litany of moves to gain the offensive zone with full possession and space. Despite being one of the smallest and youngest regulars in the QMJHL, he scored 46 points in 55 games. He's exciting as hell.

Conversely, Verreault is also the very definition of a perimeter player, with a reticence to enter the greasy areas around the boards and net-fronts which -- combined with a lack of a good shot -- clouds his ability to score goals at any level. He's a terrific passer who sparkles in transition, and this will lead to a boatload of assists. But he's just not going to score unless he develops some core strength and a greater compete level for loose pucks and rebounds.

Defensively, Verreault is adequate but can obviously be outmuscled in tight. However, once he gets the puck he's gone, and that's clearly the appeal here. His combination of speed, elusiveness with the puck and hands are honestly at 1st round-type levels, but the cliche bugaboos of the small offensive forward could drop Verreault to the late rounds.

This is not a player I risk taking in the first three rounds, as his high offensive ceiling is mitigated by a palpably low floor. But I feel Verreault's high end offensive capabilities make him a worthy pick in the 5th-7th rounds because, if he can build up his core strength and compete level, he has 2nd line scoring upside at the NHL level, which is tough to pass on so late in a draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Markus Vidicek, Halifax QMJHL (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Vidicek is not a complicated player, he's just a guy with solid skills across the board which all play up because of a good compete level and an extremely high hockey IQ. He'll give you two way hockey in all situations, can play on the PP or PK, and is good but not spectacular both offensively and defensively. Despite one inordinately high ranking (#49, Dobber Prospects), he's generally seen as a 4th round-area pick and would be a smart add for any team in that region or thereafter.

Vidicek is not big at 5'10-155, but a strong competitive drive and team ethic sees him playing a bit bigger. He's not a complex or flashy player, as defensively he makes the smart play and offensively he makes the effective, high-percentage ones. The Kirkland, Quebec native is an above average skater, but he plays faster because of his excellent anticipation which sees him a step ahead of plays mentally. His finest attribute is his puck-handling, he's a kid who can dangle a bit, especially to create lanes, which plays up his efficient passing talents. Vidicek is an okay shooter.

Defensively, Vidicek is a high effort guy who is positionally extremely sound. He's more of a cerebral defender than a kid to use his body. He rarely makes mistakes or takes unnecessary risks, and he's the kind of player who makes you feel safe when he's out there. He's very active off the puck, but very calm with it.

I think Vidicek is a high floor player who makes sense for a lot of teams. Were he a bit bigger or a bit faster, I think he'd be talked about a lot as a third, or even second, round pick. As it stands, he's a hard-working kid who plays with a lot of intelligence and represents a sensible pick for the late rounds of the 2022 draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Sandis Vilmanis, Lulea J20, Sweden Jr. (STI Ranking #68, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
My favorite Latvian export for the 2022 draft is a 6'1-195 winger who oozes skill. Though a pedestrian statistical draft-eligible season (32 points in 40 games) has left him off most draft radars, Vilmanis is one of those prospects for whom the scouting story dwarfs the production levels.

In Vilmanis, we have a big kid who not only skates very well, but also has the ability to handle the puck at high levels while at top speeds. I'd say his hands and puckhandling top his skill-set -- this is a kid who can really dangle the disc. But he's also a very adept passer who has a hard shot with a nice, quick release. All of his offensive tools grade as plus tools, which combined with his size and skating give him the potential as a middle-six forward at the highest levels.

Though Vilmanis has a very good compete level, he's a bit enigmatic in that he also struggles with consistency. He is a player who can get frustrated if things don't go his way, leaving him puck-chasing and essentially invisible for large stretches of games. Because the compete is good and the awareness is solid, I feel his problems are all things which can be ironed out through coaching and development. Vilmanis also has trouble defending, but for a forward, this is also a trait which can be instilled in the development process.

I have high hopes for Sandis Vilmanis. He's raw and you're probably going to have to wait a half-decade for him, but this is certainly a prospect worth a flyer in the 6th/7th rounds. He's just got too many NHL-quality attributes to dismiss on draft day.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Fabian Wagner, Linkoping J20 Sweden Jr. (STI Ranking: Not Ranked, McKenzie: Honorable Mention)
Fabian Wagner is a 6'0-175 winger who has produced pretty well in the J20 with 38 points in 43 games. He is a good skater with some intriguing skills, so he has gotten a bit of love leading up to the 2022 draft with rankings as high as the late 2nd round (#56, Recruites). He's a pretty smart kid with a decent compete level, but he has so many variables to work on in order to make the NHL that it would be foolish to consider him a "safe" pick.

Wagner skates well, but lacks a separation gear which would upgrade this skill to what could be considered a strength. Though he has a projectable frame, he's not very strong and can be outmuscled. He shows good offensive instincts which hint at a good hockey IQ, but his decision making is a bit off which perhaps could be attributable to uneven fundamentals. This is also evident in some of his tools, such as his shot. The power is very good, but a sloppy release and follow through negatively affect the quickness and accuracy.

Defensively, Wagner is also a player who gives great effort but not always results. He's easily baited by high-skill opposition and it does not take too much of an opposing cycle to get him to forget positioning and gaps. These sorts of problems are also apparent on the forecheck, where he is always skating hard but sometimes leaves you curious where it is exactly that he's skating to. He just goes right at the puck hard, but doesn't have the strategical mind-set to actually bait the opposition into mistakes which will allow him to turn over possession.

Wagner is a player who might have upside, but there is just so much to work on. His projectable frame and good skating and solid J20 stat line will see him drafted sometime, but anywhere before the 6th round would be too high for my liking. I do like him as a 6th/7th round, let him stay in Sweden and see how he develops sort of prospect, but it's hard to pinpoint a precise upside because he's just really far off.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW/C Mathew Ward, Swift Current WHL (STI Ranking #87, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Here we have the penultimate smaller, scoring forward who would likely be a 2nd/3rd round consideration for many teams were it not for his small 5'8-145 frame. As with the prototype, he's fast as hell on his skates and extremely skilled with the puck and the big knock against him is that he is often bounced around the greasy areas by physical opposition. None of Ward's problems have to do with heart, as he is willing to pay a price to score and is not soft by any stretch of the imagination. But as he progresses to the higher levels the goaltending will improve and a greater percentage of goals where will scored from the interior, where ultimately Ward is least effective.

Ward is impressive before you even see him, as he has 22 goals and 57 points in 64 games for an offensively-challenged Broncos team. The second highest scorer on his team is far below him. So, it's immediately clear who is the offensive driver of the bus in Swift Current. Ward is speedy and agile which, combined with his high-end stick handling, allows him to dart in and out of traffic with possession like he's a human video game. He's tremendously smart with high-end awareness in every area, especially offensively. This meshes well with his plus vision and Ward can only be described as a tremendous passer. His shot needs work on the power, and although you wonder if the power will ever be there, Ward has a nifty and quick release and tremendous accuracy when shooting. His smarts and hustle contribute to his being a well-better-than-average defensive forward despite his strength limitations.

You have to give credit where credit is due. Mathew Ward is a 5'8 17 year old leading his team in scoring by a ton despite clearly being the focal point of the opposition game plan every single game. This cannot be understated. As such, Mathew Ward is a defier of expectation and a silly player to bet against for superficial reasons. I know he's small, you know he's small, the opposition knows he's small, he knows he's small. He's overcome this in every possible way by playing a fast-paced, fast-thinking, heady and high-compete game with a whole lot of skill. Without downplaying the obvious risks in his floor, I'd still say Ward has the ceiling as a middle-six forward at the NHL level who can be a heck of a player on all your special teams.

Ward's rankings are all over the place. The highest I've seen him is #42 overall by Recruit Scouting. I'd say his normal range is in the 3rd/4th round, but we have to take into account that, generally, NHL front offices value size more than draft writers and scouting bureaus. To me, Mathew Ward is a terrific pick from the 4th round on because of the potential value he represents combined with the smarts and compete level which make him a very good bet to approach a significant talent ceiling.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Noah Warren, Gatineau QMJHL (STI Ranking #42, McKenzie #41)
Noah Warren is a prospect who makes my job here pretty easy, because he's a very simple player who is extremely effective in his strengths and does not attempt to be anything else. The Quebec native is 6'5-215 and routinely the strongest and most physical player on the ice. He skates well, and uses the combination of his wing-span, strength, high compete and high defensive awareness to make life literally hell for any opposing forwards daring to challenge him in the defensive zone. I've seen softer opposing forwards literally avoid the corners or crease whenever Warren is on the ice, I've seen them pull up and flutter weak, zero-percentage shots on net from bad positions to avoid challenging him. Warren is the big dog on the block, and he has no shortage of teeth to his game.

It's important to note that Warren is not just a power defender, he's also a smart one. He does not take dumb penalties, and he does not leave position to seek the big hit he is capable of. He is positionally strong and fundamentally sound. But he's also not a weapon in transition. If, once he attains possession, Warren does not see an immediate pass option, he does not like to handle the puck -- he'll prefer to just bang it up the boards and out of danger. Warren's biggest problem would lie in puckhandling, as he does not have good hands and he's strictly north/south in his mindset. He's usually the last man to enter the offensive zone, and he rarely activates from the point. Where Warren does offer some offensive capability is in his shot, which is a freaking bomb from the point. He'll accumulate points in whatever level he plays in simply by unleashing his cannon and scoring off rebounds, deflections, or just cleanly blowing pucks past goaltenders. That being said, the shot is the limit to Warren's offensive capability.

Noah Warren shows intriguing potential as a physical, shut-down, stay-at home defender for a future NHL bottom-4. His consensus ranking is usually found in the neighborhood of the late 3rd/early 4th round range, and the highest ranking I've seen for him is #45 overall (Craig Button). I would tend to agree with Button, as Warren's combination of defensive dominance, high intelligence, extreme physicality and mobility make him a potential shut-down monster at any level.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C Shane Wright, Kingston OHL (STI Ranking #1, McKenzie #2)
It's probably important to write about the de facto first overall pick in the 2022 NHL Draft before the the, ah... less adept draft writers start inventing criticisms about him in order to make a name for themselves. Because, first of all, this unfortunately happens virtually every NHL Draft cycle. And second of all? Shane Wright is pretty much a perfect hockey player with no flaws whatsoever.

Breaking down a player as good as Shane Wright is actually quite boring. You run out of positive adjectives. He's a center with ideal size (6'1-185) and tremendous athleticism. His intangibles are off-the-charts -- his hockey IQ is absolutely elite and his motor rarely slows. He is the rare amateur hockey prospect whose defensive game is as flawless and consistently impressive as his offensive game. He's a shut-down defender when he does not have the puck, and whenever he's on the ice his team dominates possession, pretty much because he is so good.

Wright possesses every physical tool in the book at an elite or near-elite level. He is a tremendous skater. He is a tremendous puck-handler. His agility and elusiveness are phenomenal. He is physically powerful and strong on the puck, and should be in a hearty 6'1-200 range by the time he reaches his prime. He can dazzle you with his finesse game then bowl you over in the power game, often on the very same shift.

Shane Wright's finest tool, in my opinion, is his shot. It's an absolute laser beam with a lightning quick release and marksman's accuracy -- he can beat a goaltender clean with it anytime, from anywhere in the offensive zone. I'd say he has the finest shot for a center to come out of the NHL Draft since Auston Matthews in 2016.

Unlike most snipers, you can't play Wright strictly by strategizing to stop his shot, because he's also a true dual threat; Wright is a sublime passer with absolutely elite vision and precision. His high-end thinking gives him the quick-read ability to adjust to defenses on the fly and immediately process how to beat them. Shane Wright, in his professional prime, will be virtually unstoppable. It's that simple, and it's difficult to find anything non-superlative to say about it.

Shane Wright is a truly great hockey player. And he's only going to get better.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW/C Raul Yakupov, Nizhnekamsk MHL (STI Ranking: Honorable Mention, McKenzie: Not Ranked)
Yakupov is an intriguing prospect who has a couple of areas of improvement, but also a couple of standout skills. He's a 6'1 reed, probably weighing in at around 160, and much of his development will hinge upon building up his core strength. Because his two major weaknesses would have to be his skating and his defense, both of which would be organically and exponentially improved with increased lower-body power.

Yakupov can flat-out score. He blasted 30 goals past MHL goalies in just 54 games, and his singular elite ability is his shot, which is just a monster of a blast, whether a wrister or slapper. This kid can fire the puck, and will do it from anywhere. His other standout skill would have to be his puckhandling, which is terrific. Yakupov is a pretty good passer, but he will always choose to fire away when given the chance.

Yakupov is the first cousin of former #1 overall pick Nail Yakupov, but they are not similar as hockey players. I'm not certain he will even be drafted in 2022, but I felt he was worth mentioning because his shot is simply phenomenal, and his overall offensive skill set is good. Again, the weight room will be key, but there is certainly NHL potential here.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW/LW (left-shot) Danila Yurov, Magnitogorsk KHL (STI Ranking #11, McKenzie #14)
Despite being -- like many Russian draft-eligibles -- used sparsely by his KHL team leading to poor scoring totals, Yurov's overall play has vaulted him to the top 10 conversation. Though there is much debate on Yurov's ceiling, his floor is undeniably high as Yurov is pretty much the 2022 class' "Mr. Everything".

Yurov is a two-way player who excels in all three zones. He lacks any discernible weakness and has terrific intangibles. Offensively, he is not a sniper or playmaker, but rather a dual threat who can beat you many ways. He has ideal size at 6'1-180 and skates very well, though he is not by any means an elite or dynamic skater. This mix of abilities and lack of glaring flaws is what defines him as a high-floor player, a kid who -- if he does not approach his talent ceiling -- will still represent an excellent middle-six forward at the NHL level. But again, the question we have to ask is does he have the ceiling to approach other top 10 forwards in the 2022 class with more remarkably elite singular skills in the categories of passing, shooting, puckhandling and skating, or physical strength?

Breaking down the skill set, we can say again that Yurov is a very good skater with separation speed, but at high speeds his stride can become choppy and affect his puck skills. He is by no means a burner, but his edges are excellent which plays up the skill into the plus range. His puckhandling is probably his most "ordinary" aspect, as sometimes his brain seems to move faster than his hands, causing him to fumble the puck under pressure. His hands play up when moving in on the goalie and attempting to score, where he has a litany of slick moves which can beat even a top netminder. This aspect of his game needs work but the talent is there.

Yurov's shot is extremely high in velocity and he gets it off quickly. But again, the skill needs work, particularly on accuracy. Yurov seems to always find the soft spots to get the puck and shoot, but he also seems to miss the net entirely with some regularity. But again -- as with many of Yurov's skills -- a few improvements could make this a serious plus skill which lends itself to the belief that Yurov has top-line upside at the NHL level.

Yurov is a smart and excellent passer. He lacks the high-end creativity of a Slafkovsky or Nazar, and he will more often than not choose to make smart passes which are accurate and nifty but lean towards the conservative side. On the PP or an odd-man rush? You can be sure that Yurov will thread the needle and make the right play. But in traffic against stronger defenses, his creativity dips a bit and he can get caught over-handling the puck.

Where Yurov really shines is when taking into account his overall game, which is outstanding. He's a good-sized kid who plays very hard and smart on all 200-feet of ice. I would grade his defensive game, compete level and hockey IQ all as plus skills. He's one of the better two-way wingers in the entire draft, he's not afraid to play physical and he's pretty tenacious both on and off the puck. Danila Yurov is not only a very talented player, he's a very likable one.

Danila Yurov is a high-floor player with great intangibles -- which usually act as an indicator for a player reaching their talent ceiling. And, though I'm not certain Yurov has a ceiling as a superstar, he certainly has one as a productive, two-way, all-situations winger for an NHL top line. And as such, Danila Yurov is certainly a top 10-worthy player for the 2022 NHL entry draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Danny Zhilkin, Guelph OHL (STI Ranking #82, McKenzie #48)
There are several terms associated with Danny Zhilkin which will have the young Russian talent considered for the first round of the 2022 draft. Big. Fast. Strong. Cannon shot. Center. Then, you watch the kid's highlight reel, and it's simply tremendous. When he gets a head of steam in the offensive zone, it seems there is no stopping this kid. When he's on, he'll go through defenders or around them, then crush pucks around goaltenders or through them.

Unfortunately, the true measure of a player is not a highlight reel. For all of the 6'2-190 player's skill and ability, he has yet to find any idea of what it means to play in the defensive zone nor any way to keep up his consistency of effort in any zone. He'll have that one shift where he wins the puck on a board battle, skates through a defender and rockets a puck top shelf from a wicked angle, and then you won't notice him for a period and a half until the man he was supposed to be covering scores an easy goal because he was left wide open in the slot.

I certainly hold out hope that Zhilkin will improve the nuances of his game and allow his talent to shine through. He has the natural ability to be a second line scorer at the NHL level, though probably on the wing since the responsibility of playing center could be something he's better off without, at least for the time being.

I feel some team could draft Danny Zhilkin in the late first round, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. If everything clicks, this is clearly a player who has the potential to be a steal later in the draft. However, I'm not sure if I would take him unless he fell to the vicinity of the 3rd round, since I weigh my prospect rankings so heavily on compete level. It must be stated that this is a player with the immense talent to prove me extremely wrong in my reservations.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I have finished my initial rankings, along with video and rankings. If I have not profiled a 2022 draft-eligible prospect you wish to learn more about, just mention them in the comments here and I'll gladly work on writing that player up.
Huge work, man. You are the best. Please, do something to promote yourself. It`s a shame that this huge material is landing here. You need to be regular righter, I wanna see your ranking in the list on eliteprospects. I know you don`t wanna do this, but you should have some place to post it, translate it on twitter and promote yourself as you can. You have so much passion to watch and learn about all of this kids, it`s crazy. Even for me. You should find some power and energy to organize your material to translate it to the world. If you not do it, please, start it. It`s a better work than any what I saw in internet. May be you are not so deep in advenced stats to translate your vision like Scouching do, but I believe, if you add some structure, you will find ways to translate it better. You need to focus some how on that. May be create some records. It`s not so hard. You just need to find a time to learn what you can do and how you can do that.

Now I`m workin hard on my art career, but reading everything you post here and what you guys talk about here. I will find a time for closer evaluating of specific guys, if you will ask. Like we did with Gauthier. Look at him now. We were the first guys who rank him high and now everybody talk that he can be even top-5, probably top-6\7\8 guy.

With all my love to your work from Dmitriy.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Huge work, man. You are the best. Please, do something to promote yourself. It`s a shame that this huge material is landing here. You need to be regular righter, I wanna see your ranking in the list on eliteprospects. I know you don`t wanna do this, but you should have some place to post it, translate it on twitter and promote yourself as you can. You have so much passion to watch and learn about all of this kids, it`s crazy. Even for me. You should find some power and energy to organize your material to translate it to the world. If you not do it, please, start it. It`s a better work than any what I saw in internet. May be you are not so deep in advenced stats to translate your vision like Scouching do, but I believe, if you add some structure, you will find ways to translate it better. You need to focus some how on that. May be create some records. It`s not so hard. You just need to find a time to learn what you can do and how you can do that.

Now I`m workin hard on my art career, but reading everything you post here and what you guys talk about here. I will find a time for closer evaluating of specific guys, if you will ask. Like we did with Gauthier. Look at him now. We were the first guys who rank him high and now everybody talk that he can be even top-5, probably top-6\7\8 guy.

With all my love to your work from Dmitriy.
Thanks, buddy -- I appreciate the kind words!

And @Guadana -- we were indeed possibly the first people to pump not only Gauthier/Nazar as worthy top 5-7 picks, but also Perevalov as a worthy top 10-12 pick. I think when these guys are stars someday, we can look back on that and smile.

If anyone has any ideas on how to promote this thread, feel free to let me know. Everyone is welcome to share them on any of the HF main boards, or on Reddit, or wherever else they think people might appreciate them.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thanks, buddy -- I appreciate the kind words!

And @Guadana -- we were indeed possibly the first people to pump not only Gauthier/Nazar as worthy top 5-7 picks, but also Perevalov as a worthy top 10-12 pick. I think when these guys are stars someday, we can look back on that and smile.

If anyone has any ideas on how to promote this thread, feel free to let me know. Everyone is welcome to share them on any of the HF main boards, or on Reddit, or wherever else they think people might appreciate them.
Yeah, that was exactly did happened. I did start to watch games of Kasper and did start to talk about his potential high place in draft rankings, but didn`t find time to make ending verdict.

And I really hope, some of you, hf board guys, will help Steve. He did a huge work for you. Year after year. May be you can help by your own talent and passion with this.
The thing I can help is making few records once in a week and involving in podcasts. Especially if I will have a time to make my homework.
I trully believe we did have deep conversations, you did have deep conversations with some guys here, you could easily promote on youtube or in soundcloud as the most deep, specific talking about drafting. You should think about it, especially because next draft will have a lot of hype.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, that was exactly did happened. I did start to watch games of Kasper and did start to talk about his potential high place in draft rankings, but didn`t find time to make ending verdict.

And I really hope, some of you, hf board guys, will help Steve. He did a huge work for you. Year after year. May be you can help by your own talent and passion with this.
The thing I can help is making few records once in a week and involving in podcasts. Especially if I will have a time to make my homework.
I trully believe we did have deep conversations, you did have deep conversations with some guys here, you could easily promote on youtube or in soundcloud as the most deep, specific talking about drafting. You should think about it, especially because next draft will have a lot of hype.
Next draft is already getting the hype. Bedard, Michkov and Fantelli are an unbelievable top 3. But I can't even think about that until August, haha.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

If you speak English the way you write it any podcast would be fantastic.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I added McKenzie's rankings to the profiles, so you can have a better idea of what the scouting consensus might think. Keep in mind McKenzie only ranks up to #90 with 10 Honorable Mentions, while I'm at #120 with about 20 Honorable Mentions.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I added McKenzie's rankings to the profiles, so you can have a better idea of what the scouting consensus might think. Keep in mind McKenzie only ranks up to #90 with 10 Honorable Mentions, while I'm at #120 with about 20 Honorable Mentions.

Do you think this is the most extensively you've watched any draft class? The amount of content here is absolutely mind blowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad