GDT: Devils @ Golden Knights - 3:30 PM - TNT, MAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As a Leaf fan I actually watch more games of other teams than Leaf games during the regular season.

I pointed to two cases where Daws was over worked. 2 games after the stadium series and the two games that got Lindy fired (widely commented that Daws was being overworked at that point).

As you are a NJ fan, just for fun look at his stats and exclude those 4 games (2 games after stadium series and 2 games prior to Lindy firing). He numbers and the eye test tells me NJ fans are criminally underrated him.

Just look it up and draw your own conclusions. This kid is an NHL goalie right now, he just needs the right game management.

Spoiler (minus those 4 games): .918SV% this season.

I would say you can cherry pick stats from other points in the season and draw conclusions...

But this isn't cherry picking, it's saying to be fair and measure both goalies on the same timelines.
I like Daws and hope he succeeds. Maybe he's ready to backup a stable starter, but until NJ gets a full time starter any goalie is at risk of overuse because of slumps etc. If NJ had two genuine NHL goalies and could use Daws for spot starts as needed with callups my guess is he'd be ok.

Reactions: Bleedred

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Most of this is just patently wrong...Vitek and Schmid were both awful from minute one this season. Neither had a 'savior' stretch this year. Daws did get ruined from the ridiculous overuse - again and I expect the same to happen with Allen as long as Green still thinks he has a chance to get a job next year. But Daws's three week stretch and Allen's two games are about it as far as actual good goaltending this year.
Vanacek was 7-1-1 to start the season and was a star of the game multiple times facing some sad defensive breakdowns in every game.

You and @SteveCangialosi123 might want to even watch the highlights before you call somethong 'patently wrong' out of your ass like that.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Vanacek was 7-1-1 to start the season and was a star of the game multiple times facing some sad defensive breakdowns in every game.

You and @SteveCangialosi123 might want to even watch the highlights before you call somethong 'patently wrong' out of your ass like that.
Vitek’s record with NJ this season was much better than his underlying stats suggested it should be based on what others posted. That’s impressive on some level although eventually he just couldn’t keep them in games and the whole team went downhill. It’s a shame as nobody had a bad word to say about Vitek as a person.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vitek’s first game of the year (opening night) was really good and I thought that was literally his best game until the 2-1 OT win over Boston, which was his first game of the year of only allowing one goal and one of I think 3 starts of 1 goal. The other two being Columbus and the 1-0 OTL against Carolina in what was his final game as a Devil.

He had a pretty good game in Tampa right before all star break, where he allowed 4 goals on 40 or more shots, many were high quality and he stood on his head to make the final score look close.

Other than literally those 4 games I can’t think of any other where he played any better than just decent. There were a bunch of 2 goal against games where the team played really good (Pittsburgh and one against Minnesota) or where we played a shit opponent (Chicago twice) and I can’t remember much to really brag about other than those I already mentioned. He also had at least two games where we won 6-5. One against Vancouver and one against Vegas.

Schmid had the 2-1 win over Seattle in December, which was better than any game Vitek had played to that point in the season. He also had the game where we won 4-3 against Philly where he faced 112 shots and they threw him in the very next night against San Jose where he had a game that was worse than anybody had in goal this year for us.

At least the second time they played him two nights in a row it was because Vitek got sick and didn’t dress the second night.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vitek’s record with NJ this season was much better than his underlying stats suggested it should be based on what others posted. That’s impressive on some level although eventually he just couldn’t keep them in games and the whole team went downhill. It’s a shame as nobody had a bad word to say about Vitek as a person.
I wonder if he alienated some of the guys by not coming out and talking to the media in post games at all this season.

And then the skaters and Ruff had to take all the questions about him in the post games. I wonder if that’s why Jack had his snide comment about “we win when we get saves” in the on ice post game win interview where Daws played.

I see Daws, Schmid and even Allen yesterday come out after losses this year. Kahkonen after the Rangers game. So it’s not like Devils PR has cut off access to the goalies after a loss.

Cory Schneider after almost every loss ever.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Not really worried about Jack longterm. A dull off-season will do him some good.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

To be accurate he was 6-2 to start the season with 21 goals given up in his seven starts when they scratched out a few ugly wins, hardly a savior stretch with a 3 GAA. He did have a 7-1-1 stretch in the middle of the year where he gave up 26 goals in just about 8 1/2 complete games so that stretch was with a GAA over three, clearly another savior stretch though lol

They never won more than a handful of games all year because of Vitek, and somehow won plenty in spite of him when the offense and the PP were going. Now that they’re not getting either they’re losing games they actually get goaltending in, goalies aren’t close to 100% responsible for wins and losses the way you usually think they are. Even Vitek’s last game here was arguably his best all year and that…was a loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad