Confirmed with Link: Devils Extend Bratt (8 yrs, $63 million)

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
These guys are high (except Rupp). Bratt signed an under market deal, that’s why he held out so long, he didn’t want to leave but he wanted to get closer to what he was worth. Ultimately he decided to stay for less money. So now berate him for not signing the deal earlier?
It has real "how dare you ask for a raise when the company needs to make money" energy.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You mean the trade propositions that have generally been accurate? Like the Meier trade where I proposed the 2023 1st + Muhkamadullin + Holtz as the offer? (San Jose substituted Holtz for Zetterlund and Okhotiuk)

And yes, Meier will get more than Hughes on an 8 year deal. and it will get done before August. 8 years, 8.25 - 8.9 AAV.

We’ve only drafted 10 times in the top two rounds in the last five drafts.

1 player was already gone (Smith), 2 players were already on the roster (Jack & Mercer) and 2 were untouchable (Luke & Nemec).

Stillman kind of sucks.

It made zero sense for San Jose to trade for Casey considering that they drafted a different undersized offensive RHD one spot before him in 2022 (#45 Havelid).

So the only prospects that made sense as trade bait were Holtz, Mukhamadullin and Okhotiuk. (And the Sharks got two of them.) You could potentially add Bahl but he was already becoming pretty useful/important as a roster player.

A prediction of Holtz and Mukhamadullin was actually wrong though because the trade was for a 1st, a high end prospect, a low end prospect and a young roster player.

The debate was which high end prospect, they couldn’t actually get both of them.

I actually thought San Jose would want Muk more than Holtz, they needed a defensive prospect like him a lot more than a winger. (I was far from the only one who guessed this, it wasn’t hard at all.)

Another debate was between Zetterlund and someone like Sharangovich for the young roster player.

So you didn’t get anything right.

And you’ve tried to trade Holtz for approximately 75 different players on the trade board, so I’m not sure how “accuracy” is your thing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We’ve only drafted 10 times in the top two rounds in the last five drafts.

1 player was already gone (Smith), 2 players were already on the roster (Jack & Mercer) and 2 were untouchable (Luke & Nemec).

Stillman kind of sucks.

It made zero sense for San Jose to trade for Casey considering that they drafted a different undersized offensive RHD one spot before him in 2022 (#45 Havelid).

So the only prospects that made sense as trade bait were Holtz, Mukhamadullin and Okhotiuk. (And the Sharks got two of them.) You could potentially add Bahl but he was already becoming pretty useful/important as a roster player.

A prediction of Holtz and Mukhamadullin was actually wrong though because the trade was for a 1st, a high end prospect, a low end prospect and a young roster player.

The debate was which high end prospect, they couldn’t actually get both of them.

I actually thought San Jose would want Muk more than Holtz, they needed a defensive prospect like him a lot more than a winger. (I was far from the only one who guessed this, it wasn’t hard at all.)

Another debate was between Zetterlund and someone like Sharangovich for the young roster player.

So you didn’t get anything right.

And you’ve tried to trade Holtz for approximately 75 different players on the trade board, so I’m not sure how “accuracy” is your thing.
Why do I picture you smacking his knuckles with a ruler while you tell him this sister?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The deal feels very fair to both sides. A bit of a gamble by Fitz on that term, and a bit of a pay cut for what Bratt could have got on the open market. A compromise by both to reach a deal that works for both.

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I just realized that Bratt's interview made him look like this :

I watched all 20+ mins of that media availability call and was legit thinking that almost the whole time. :laugh:

Was mentally trying to figure out what nutrients he eating, or what gym routine he started, or how the hell he got his camera optics/fov angle to make him looks gargantuan with a small head.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Sharangovich is younger and has already had a better season than Colton on a worse team.

I’d rather keep Sharangovich for cheap, put him next to Hischier and Bratt (now we’re on-topic again!) for a season and reap the rewards.

Colton's so meh. If he wasn't a Devils fan there wouldn't be nearly as much talk about him. I say give Grier a do over on Zetterlund. He absolutely did not fit at all there and was awful for them. They can have Yegor and give us back Zetterlund.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
These guys are high (except Rupp). Bratt signed an under market deal, that’s why he held out so long, he didn’t want to leave but he wanted to get closer to what he was worth. Ultimately he decided to stay for less money. So now berate him for not signing the deal earlier?
That's the business these talking heads are in. There always has to be at least one contrarian on the panel, even if they don't believe the words that are coming out of their mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoidCreature

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Seeing this happen so quickly in the offseason after thinking it'd go on for months...

Seriously, great deal for both sides: Jesper gets term and gets paid, Devils get him at a reasonable cap hit and still have room to keep Timo and add depth, especially when the cap rises. Key piece to a contender is under control through his prime, it's a beautiful thing.

I don't fault Bratt at all for trying to get all he could; it's every player's right and prerogative, in an industry where they'll gladly ship you to the glue factory the moment you're not of use anymore for whatever reason. At the same time the CBA is the CBA and there's a salary cap to contend with, and if the Devils are serious about winning it all they do need guys to be willing to give up a few bucks now for long term success and hopefully real glory in the near future.

I think it's clear Jesper wanted to be here but also wanted to maximize his earnings, and in the end, no doubt after being told "we might have to trade you if we can't get a deal", he chose to focus on the former, but by no means did he get screwed on the latter. Solid stuff all around.

now when timo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I’m for guys getting everything they’re worth, but this is clearly a deal where he gets a set for life amount of money AND the team gets good value. Sometimes everybody makes out ok.
I'm very much a proponent of players taking team friendly deals. As you say they are still rich, and it helps the team win games. This assumes the team spends that savings elsewhere.

Now this was an unique situation given the cap is going to jump in a couple years, so I understood why Bratt, or anyone else looking to sign long term deals right now would actually try to push off the start of those deals a couple years

But like I said early in this thread, kudos to Bratt for signing this deal.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Me seeing certain people whine about this deal on the main board thread.

Oh, and our whole core except Nico sucks or some dumb shit lol.

131EDBA8-A6C5-4964-959F-215AA151CE7D.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad