News Article: Devils drafting and Conte

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Boosh has gotten how many stints up with the Big team again? Several .

That would be 2 opportunities.

23 games last year where he had 7 points and 4 games this year with no points for a totatal of 27 games.

Patrik Elias went up and down for 3 years... 1995-96 1 games no points
1996-97 17 games 5 points
Then started the 97-98 season in Albany and played 74 games NHL games . Patrik was 22 years old when he completed his first NHL season. Boucher is 21 and actually averaged a better points per game in his first stint( 7 points in 23 games .30 points per game) than Elias did in his 1st 18 games (5 points in 18 games .28 points per game)

Gionta had similar points per game in his first stint but he was 23 years old after 4 full years at Boston College. 11 points in his first 33 games...Elias and Gionta came up with significantly better teams also.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Forget Pavelec, Quick went went after Frazee

Again. So many factors go into this.

Frazee was considered the better US goaltender as well. Plus, you have no idea how the Devils would've developed Quick.

There's just too many factors to play the hindsight game, I don't get why people keep doing it.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That would be 2 opportunities.

23 games last year where he had 7 points and 4 games this year with no points for a totatal of 27 games.

Patrik Elias went up and down for 3 years... 1995-96 1 games no points
1996-97 17 games 5 points
Then started the 97-98 season in Albany and played 74 games NHL games . Patrik was 22 years old when he completed his first NHL season. Boucher is 21 and actually averaged a better points per game in his first stint( 7 points in 23 games .30 points per game) than Elias did in his 1st 18 games (5 points in 18 games .28 points per game)

Gionta had similar points per game in his first stint but he was 23 years old after 4 full years at Boston College. 11 points in his first 33 games...Elias and Gionta came up with significantly better teams also.

I'm not giving up on Boucher yet, even though he hasn't been impressive so far. He's close to making it, and he's still pretty young.

I really think his skating is holding him back. If he can just improve his acceleration, I think he'll start scoring. Improve that and top speed and he could be very good.

He's a boom-or-bust player, though. If he can't make it as a top-6 winger, I don't think he has what it takes to be bottom-6.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
Again. So many factors go into this.

Frazee was considered the better US goaltender as well. Plus, you have no idea how the Devils would've developed Quick.

There's just too many factors to play the hindsight game, I don't get why people keep doing it.

Exactly, who was going to unseat Brodeur? Did people expect that JF Damphousse, Frazee, and Ahonen were going to start games over Marty? If the Devils drafted Quick and Mason those goalies would be in the KHL with Ahonen right now.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Kings also drafted two guys name Dany Roussin and T.J. Fast before Quick, so I'm sure they didn't think he'd be what he is now either, or they wouldn't have waited until the 72nd pick in the draft to take him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There were also a couple goalies drafted before Quick that year (other than Frazee) that never played an NHL game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Kings also drafted two guys name Dany Roussin and T.J. Fast before Quick, so I'm sure they didn't think he'd be what he is now either, or they wouldn't have waited until the 72nd pick in the draft to take him.

No one did. All scouting had frazee pegged as the better prospect.

And it's why this stuff is extremely hard and goes beyond just saying "conte sucks".

If you have examples of reaches. Times when we drafted way off the board and against the what other scouts suggested and it busted. That is where you could find exception.

Combing over a lot of our drafts though I don't see that being the case a lot of times. Especially in regards to Tedy and JJ.

Also there is a trend that a lot of late 1st rounders seem to bust out. It's not just us.

Teams get by with the few guys that work out...working out and making thrifty trades with their junk. Maybe a good FA or two as well.

Which is why sole blame for our current situation can't in truth be laid just at scouting and draftings feet.

Blame Marty for carrying teams that were medicore much further then they should of leaving us with later round picks more likely to bust. Hell if we just sucked the year Marty got hurt things could look a lot different.

Blame Zaxh and kovy leaving.

It's a perfect storm of factors that created the current situation. A highly successful team got older and wasn't able to properly restock on late round picks (or get lucky with some) while also suffering high level vacancies at a critical juncture. There is blame to placed of course and there are things outside of people's control.

Only thing that really matters is how to fix it. It seems to be slowly being addressed with what was a medicore and aging defense being replaced by a high ceiling young blueline. A new goalie. Now we have to address getting fresh forward blood in here.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It's still pretty sad that we only have 2 forwards that were drafted in the last 10 years in the lineup. Nothing really to get too excited about in the pipeline either.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's still pretty sad that we only have 2 forwards that were drafted in the last 10 years in the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree but it is so damn "glass half full" pessimistic.

It just turns a blind eye to the fact the entire blueline has been home grown in a fantastic way.

We just went through a 3 year period of drafting heavy on defense and goaltending from 2009 to 2011 50% of all of our picks were dmen during that time, this plus a few goalies and it's obvious how the rebuild was purposefully structured.

From 2012 through 14 they've flipped the switch and have taken forwards with 13 out of 18 picks.

We are half way through this rebuild and it wouldn't look as ugly or be as painful with Parise and or Kovalchuk who should've been the bridge to the new. You can't lose Brian Gionta, Jamie Langenbrunner, Zach Parise, Kovalchuk, Clarkson plus all the picks and lesser prospects all in a 5 year period and expect to keep your head above water...the rebuild began in 2008 and it has been successful, we unfortunately lost many of the players that should've stemmed the tide, but that shouldn't detract from the successful rebuild that is happening right now.

To me it seems we are looking at an artwork half complete at this point in time and complaining about all the colors not being filled in yet.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I knew I'd get a response about the D, I'm very happy about our blue line moving forward. I'm specifically talking about forwards. Out of all the forwards we have drafted in the last 10 years, who's playing in the NHL, Henrique, JJ and Halischuk? Like I said, sad.

I would have liked to see a shout out to Marshall Johnston in that article.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The D and goaltending have improved because they've allocated first and second-round picks toward fixing it the last several years. They need to start doing that with the forwards soon.

And yeah our lack of current homegrown forwards make people more skeptical over the middle-round ones we have in our system doing anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad