Confirmed with Link: Devils CEO Scott O'Neil leaving organization.

Camille the Eel

What is HBSE? I’d that’s the Blitzer et al umbrella organization, it’s not just the Devils (who are, along with the arena, probably subsidiary companies - I am just speculating here) and thus it probably has nothing to do with Fitz or with Devils issues - this is the parent company changing jockies. If I am correct in my assumptions. If HBSE is uniquely the Devils then it’s something else.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I have no idea if this is seen as a good thing or a bad thing for the Devils. I don’t give a crap about anything but how this effects the Devils. I’m kinda worried it might have diverging yo do with ownerships conflict in what they want to do with the Devils ( spend $$ ti be competitive or cheap asses and pinch pennies until they are ready to contend or none of the above , status quo ? )

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
What is HBSE? I’d that’s the Blitzer et al umbrella organization, it’s not just the Devils (who are, along with the arena, probably subsidiary companies - I am just speculating here) and thus it probably has nothing to do with Fitz or with Devils issues - this is the parent company changing jockies. If I am correct in my assumptions. If HBSE is uniquely the Devils then it’s something else.

He voluntarily stepped down to pursue other opportunities. I'm sure he has something lined up. It's not an HBSE/Devils decision, it's just a guy taking another job like anyone else.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
In his interview on the Devils podcast he discussed trying to find a better work/personal life balance. Hopefully this is just him acting on that and taking on something less intensive and maybe spending more time with family and friends. Hopefully it's his choice and he is happy.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
I don’t think he’s allowed to work in the NHL at all this year. Wasn’t his suspension for one year?
Chayaka is suspended from the NHL

however if our ownership hires him, hed simply wait until January 1st to be named CEO. His job is with the ownership group not NJ

Also, if hes not handling anything related to the teams makeup, its not a bad hire. Ive read good things about his work at a larger scale than GMing

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Chayaka is suspended from the NHL

however if our ownership hires him, hed simply wait until January 1st to be named CEO. His job is with the ownership group not NJ

Also, if hes not handling anything related to the teams makeup, its not a bad hire. Ive read good things about his work at a larger scale than GMing

The CEO position is much more business related than sports ops. Chayka doesn’t fit the role at all.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
The CEO position is much more business related than sports ops. Chayka doesn’t fit the role at all.
Chayka went to school for business and has admitted himself in interviews he prefers the business side of things, hence he was rumored to be interviewing with Harris and Blitzer for a business position when he was going through his suspension

Im almost positive those talks continued (as they always do behind the scenes) and I wouldnt be surprised if Chayka's statistical background has more application on the business and number-crunching side

I full-well understand what a CEO does; Chayka is never getting hired in the NHL for hockey operations again, so its very likely he ends up on the business side of things. And weve been rumored to have interest.

its far more likely than I think you give it credit for

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Chayka went to school for business and has admitted himself in interviews he prefers the business side of things, hence he was rumored to be interviewing with Harris and Blitzer for a business position when he was going through his suspension

Im almost positive those talks continued (as they always do behind the scenes) and I wouldnt be surprised if Chayka's statistical background has more application on the business and number-crunching side

I full-well understand what a CEO does; Chayka is never getting hired in the NHL for hockey operations again, so its very likely he ends up on the business side of things. And weve been rumored to have interest.

its far more likely than I think you give it credit for

Chayka was rumored to be taking a position heading up the analytics department for all HBSE sports entities (Sixers, Devils, Crystal Palace).

He has no experience running the business side of things and there is absolutely no shot that private equity guys like Harris and Blitzer are going to make someone with zero actual business management experience the CEO of HBSE.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Chayka was rumored to be taking a position heading up the analytics department for all HBSE sports entities (Sixers, Devils, Crystal Palace).

He has no experience running the business side of things and there is absolutely no shot that private equity guys like Harris and Blitzer are going to make someone with zero actual business management experience the CEO of HBSE.
Harris and Blitzer could hire him as an analytics guy and pamper him into a CEO role, ala Marty being pampered for a GM/President role

Ive got no issues hiring him like others, however he most likely enters the business side of things so im not sure where you got your info thinking he isnt fit for a business role. Like as if anyone would hire him for a hockey role after what he did

Not to mention the CEO of the Devils isnt doing much of anything, as is evidence by the fact that we only had ONeil as the literal CEO for a year or so; he was mainly doing work with the 76ers until recently

My point is Harris and Blitzer have been on record showing interest for him in their ownership group; so clearly he has a future on the business side of things

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I still don't see how Chayka is remotely relevant to this conversation. He's not a CEO and has no experience on the business side. He was going to be hired in a position overseeing analytics on the sports ops side while O’Neill was still with the organization. They aren't connected at all.

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
So when he told Ftiz he had the green light, it wasn't in the sense of "let's do this, it's time to make a winner and I trust you."

It was more like "Do what ever you want, IDGAF, I'm outa here son, peace"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad