Devils 3 Stars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He had some gaffes that ended up in the net and was overthinking some clear shooting situations but was still doing what he always has done: getting the puck going the other way better than everyone not named Jack or Dougie.

Real cute to watch people characterize him as a generic middle 6 winger this summer...

The 2 plays against Calgary and the lack of pts really negatively colored peoples perception of him to start the year. I also don't even think those plays are really as bad as made out to be. The first one he receives a bad pass and it ends up going between his feet and he can't locate the puck. If Siegs doesn't wind up coughing the puck up at the point then no one even bats an eye over it. Then the 2nd one was pretty bad but I have a higher tolerance for lost edges than I do for things like poor decision making.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The 2 plays against Calgary and the lack of pts really negatively colored peoples perception of him to start the year. I also don't even think those plays are really as bad as made out to be. The first one he receives a bad pass and it ends up going between his feet and he can't locate the puck. If Siegs doesn't wind up coughing the puck up at the point then no one even bats an eye over it. Then the 2nd one was pretty bad but I have a higher tolerance for lost edges than I do for things like poor decision making.

For sure. I mean, if Ruff needed to send a message and this is the result, then great, message was sent, things are for the better.

But if we're acting like he's the sole lackadaisical defender or the kind of enigmatic player who always needs a shake to the head...You can point your guns at everyone on the team for the past five years if that's the case. He is, at worst, the fourth best player on this team. Absolutely a part of the core and many of us have obviously seen it from day one.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It's already too late to be saying "if it's bad by x". It needed to be fixed ages ago.

Not even close to an accurate assessment. Last year's struggles were likely due more to personnel than anything related to tactics or performance.

It was a given that with several new parts and people in different roles it wasn't likely to be a finished product right out of the gate.

This year's unit has shown flashes of its potential and there is no reason to believe it won't continue evolving as the season goes on.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
FELmiApWQAAhKEc

The points were always going to come. He does too many things well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It doesn’t make any sense to break up Mercer’s line, but watching Zacha and Hischier together, they desperately need a guy like Mercer on their line.

They both have been solid to start the year, but it seems like they are missing that energy guy with a high work rate. It’s frustrating to watch them sometimes as it seems like they are going through the motions when we all know they have that extra gear to be even more effective when they are.

More nitpicking than anything, but it’s something I would like to see out of them. It’s also something I’ve noticed with Sharangovich and Kuokkanen as well, which is why they need Hughes back in a big way.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Um, he definitely was playing bad. To the point where @glenwo2 called him out. You know that means he was playing bad. :laugh:

But analytics said otherwise lol

I mean, when you get benched and the coach removes you from what was then our "top line", I'm sorry but you're not giving what the coaching staff is asking.

Trying to convince everyone he was because advanced stats said so, is really annoying.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
But analytics said otherwise lol

I mean, when you get benched and the coach removes you from what was then our "top line", I'm sorry but you're not giving what the coaching staff is asking.

Trying to convince everyone he was because advanced stats said so, is really annoying.

Isn't it funny how whatever line Bratt is on becomes the top line? I wonder what would happen to Johnsson and Mercer's fast starts if you put them with any other forward on the team not named Hughes.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
It doesn’t make any sense to break up Mercer’s line, but watching Zacha and Hischier together, they desperately need a guy like Mercer on their line.

They both have been solid to start the year, but it seems like they are missing that energy guy with a high work rate. It’s frustrating to watch them sometimes as it seems like they are going through the motions when we all know they have that extra gear to be even more effective when they are.

More nitpicking than anything, but it’s something I would like to see out of them. It’s also something I’ve noticed with Sharangovich and Kuokkanen as well, which is why they need Hughes back in a big way.

good things seem to follow mercer around…so we really seem to need another mercer. easier said than done.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Isn't it funny how whatever line Bratt is on becomes the top line? I wonder what would happen to Johnsson and Mercer's fast starts if you put them with any other forward on the team not named Hughes.

The Mercer line was our best line at the time and still is as of today. Yes, I do understand that they weren't getting the tougher/harder minutes but they were generating most of our offense since day #1. It's no coincidence that Johnsson and Mercer are two of our top point producers. If you remember correctly, Nico and Bratt weren't doing anything offensively regardless of what analytics would lean you to believe and like I said, getting "demoted" is not a reward, so he was doing something wrong.

Anyways, it is what it is and now we have one of the best lines in hockey, so that "demotion" was the best thing that could happen to our team.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
good things seem to follow mercer around…so we really seem to need another mercer. easier said than done.

It’s more style wise than anything.

McLeod, Mercer, Bratt, Wood, Hughes, and to a lesser degree Johnsson are all high energy guys. They push play and generally work their asses off every shift.

Kuokkanen, Sharangovich, Zacha, and Hischier play with a more controlled style. Be in the right position, make smart reads, and strike when the time is right. There’s nothing wrong with that, but if two guys like that are on one line, they can at times seem too passive. They almost need at least one play driver to get them moving.

If Bratt or Mercer is skating or battling hard and Hischier comes in lackadaisically, he looks like a fool. It kinda forces them to step up their play to a perfect balance between their passive style and the aggressive style of their linemates.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well it only took about three years for Bratt to find enough consistency to where his actual production is finally starting to catch up with his advanced stats.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Well it only took about three years for Bratt to find enough consistency to where his actual production is finally starting to catch up with his advanced stats.

I love the narratives people craft in their heads. I remember showing you a few weeks ago that Bratt's production was consistent throughout the year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I love the narratives people craft in their heads. I remember showing you a few weeks ago that Bratt's production was consistent throughout the year.

His consistent production hasn't seen a 40-point season yet. He'll likely crash through that barrier this year and good for him. He and Johnsson are doing their best Elias and Sykora impression so far this season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
His consistent production hasn't seen a 40-point season yet. He'll likely crash through that barrier this year and good for him. He and Johnsson are doing their best Elias and Sykora impression so far this season.

That's because of injuries and shorter seasons. PPG isn't some super secret advanced stat.

His scoring pace for his career are pretty cut and dry.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This hasn't come out of nowhere. Bratt was 3rd on the team in goals in 2020 and 3rd on the team in points in 2021 (even though he played 10 fewer games than Hughes, who beat him for 2nd by 1 point).

Bratt plays well and then either gets hurt or gets inexplicably demoted. His 16 goals in 51 games in 2020 was with him averaging 13:59 a game and only 11:56 at ES - both were about 1 minute less than what Wood got last year in his "breakout" season that everyone was praising him for.

The difference this year is that he's healthy and has consistent linemates. That's really it.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
late to this but MAN is dougie good

team dynamic is completely changed when he's on the ice

He’s just incredible. He saved a sure goal for Atkinson with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd. Hit Atkinson in his chest. It dropped and he was in a position for an easy tap-in but Dougie got his stick in and the shot went through the crease. Didn’t get a great replay of it but it was a fantastic, calm play under pressure.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The difference this year is that he's healthy and has consistent linemates. That's really it.
I think the story is just great chemistry with those 3. I mean, how long have they been together? 12 games? Certainly Bratt has had stretches in the past where he was with linemates for such a stretch. And he's also had stretches in the past where he played 20 straight games.

So to me it's just those 3 came together at the right time and took off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce