Post-Game Talk: Devils beat CBJ 3-1

3 stars of the game.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

Dominate the first period completely and come out of it tied, without a lead, with the opposing goalie standing on his head, then lose the game when the opposition finds its legs in the second period.

That's usually us. Nice to see us turn the tables on Columbus last night.

Pretty much the reverse (carbon copy) of a bunch of our games we have lost this year, where we just can't convert on a succession of first period looks. How many point-blank looks does Laine need to beat Blackwood? Blackwood's save with just seconds left in the first period on someone else was also epic. So good to see Blackie have a redemption game. Why does he have to play so damn deep in the net all the same? The short side is there for the opposition pretty much all the time, if they can hit it.

Ty Smith - athough he played but 11 minutes, I also thought last night was the best Ty has looked all year. Moving the puck decisively, a step ahead of the defense (which he needs because the isn't the most fleet footed guy).

Devils looked good in the last two periods last night. Bratt omg. That rush late in the 3d where he skated through their whole team and almost scored was a Bobby Orr class one man masterpiece starting behind our own net.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
With all the points Jack had lately what amazes me the most is that he could have way more. The way he sets up people there will be a day when people convert all these great passes and Jack will have an 8 point game or sth crazy like that.

This is why we need to make moves to acquire better wingers to play with our strong centers. Hughes can generate all the chances in the world and we still won't win if nobody can finish them reliably.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
They played together last year with Johnsson and were electric. In 193 minutes together with Bratt and Hughes on the ice, the Devils got 62% of the shots and 70% of the goals. I suspect they were only split up because it meant Zacha would have to carry his own line with Nico injured.

He got lucky that Columbus shot some wide, yeah, but he made some decent initial stops. Laine in particular got some good chances.
Well, at the same time, Columbus got lucky we missed a few shots too. Missed shots happen. I'm glad they didn't go in on him.

I remember an interview with, I think it was Patrick Roy. He said he talked to his goalposts. When asked if they talk back, he said "yeah. They go ka-ping... Ka-ping"

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Dominate the first period completely and come out of it tied, without a lead, with the opposing goalie standing on his head, then lose the game when the opposition finds its legs in the second period.

Pretty much the reverse (carbon copy) of a bunch of our games we have lost this year, where we just can't convert on a succession of first period looks. How many point-blank looks does Laine need to beat Blackwood? Blackwood's save with just seconds left in the first period on someone else was also epic. So good to see Blackie have a redemption game. Why does he have to play so damn deep in the net all the same? The short side is there for the opposition pretty much all the time, if they can hit it.

Ty Smith - athough he played but 11 minutes, I also thought last night was the best Ty has looked all year. Moving the puck decisively, a step ahead of the defense (which he needs because the isn't the most fleet footed guy).

Devils looked good in the last two periods last night. Bratt omg. That rush late in the 3d where he skated through their whole team and almost scored was a Bobby Orr class one man masterpiece starting behind our own net.
good observation we def had bunch of games like that...

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

i thought bastian played really well too this team desperately needs a guy that plays that brand of hockey.. and i like him in the top 9 he creates a little room out there.. a guy like that can develop into a top 6 power forward in the right situation

Reactions: Camille the Eel

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well, at the same time, Columbus got lucky we missed a few shots too. Missed shots happen. I'm glad they didn't go in on him.

I remember an interview with, I think it was Patrick Roy. He said he talked to his goalposts. When asked if they talk back, he said "yeah. They go ka-ping... Ka-ping"

How could he hear them with his Cup rings in his ears?

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
This is why we need to make moves to acquire better wingers to play with our strong centers. Hughes can generate all the chances in the world and we still won't win if nobody can finish them reliably.

we gonna have a party when you hit 100k posts or what?

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad