Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire D Ryan Graves from COL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Solid guy who was a star during what turned into the bubble season, but fell out of favor this last season. The plus minus from a couple seasons ago was wild and it wasn’t like many guys were even close to him.

Toews on the top pair made his worth drop on the squad, but I wouldn’t rule out a turnaround with a change of scenery. Could easily be a prime top 4 guy, but last year played like bottom pairing and at times 7th D.

So decent upside for a draft pick that wasn’t yours.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
no one really knew what we would get with mueller though either

Mueller played only 54 games and was 22 when we acquired him.

Graves has played 149 games and is 26. Odds are he’s proven more than Mueller had at the time so it’s not exactly comparable.

That said, I couldn’t tell you a thing about his game lol.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I get it, its the Isles 2nd so basically 3rd but I dont like the value at all.

Havent heard too much good about Graves from Avs fans in trade boards, so 2nd+Maltsev for someone they were gonna expose to Seattle.. eh.

Welcome to Jersey nonetheless. Hopefully he works better than Mueller and co.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
For those who have a subscription to The Athetic:
Ryan Graves Q&A: On the Avalanche's early exit, the looming Kraken draft and more — 'you have to compartmentalize'

Also, from another of their articles:
Ryan Graves

Contract: $3,166,667 (UFA 2023)
Usage: Second pair even strength, first unit penalty kill
Production: Two goals and 15 points in 54 games
Possession impact: Neutral, erring towards positive

Cale Makar, Devon Toews and Samuel Girard are the obvious protection options in Colorado. Ryan Graves is good enough in a defence first, top-four role that the Avalanche might consider protecting four forwards, four defencemen and a goaltender. Still, if you’re Colorado and have all of those star defencemen plus Bowen Byram in the pipeline, maybe you’re willing to protect seven forwards and three defencemen, letting Graves go.

If you’re Seattle, a six-foot-five, 220-pound 26-year-old defenceman who has a proven track record of covering for his more celebrated partners must be an awfully appealing target.

Graves earns $3.17 million for two more seasons, is among the NHL’s plus-minus leaders over the past two seasons and is in his prime. Maybe Seattle just takes him and keeps him, as appealing as he would be to a team like Winnipeg looking for those exact same qualities.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
25 year old left-handed very good defensive defenseman with little to no offensive ability. I have to assume this means Murray isn't coming back, otherwise we wouldn't bring in another Siegenthaler just a week after signing the Siegenthaler we already have.

Maltsev is nothing and it's hard to complain about giving up a very late 2nd when we have prospects and need NHL help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad