Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire Andreas Johnsson from Toronto for Joey Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Devils are nowhere near the cap and probably won't be anytime soon....especially if one of (or both) Palms and Goose leave

Thats the least of my worries.

Reactions: Darkauron

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
It's not about Joey Anderson as much as it's about the $10 million in cap space over three seasons Jonsson is taking up. If he really stinks the joint out this season that contract is gonna be a net negative.

That was always a possibility, and frankly, was always the likely outcome. Even if he was a 40 point guy he was overpaid in the current economic climate.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
That was always a possibility, and frankly, was always the likely outcome. Even if he was a 40 point guy he was overpaid in the current economic climate.

To be fair, this didn't become clear until after the trade went down and the 2nd tier FAs, guys like Duclair/Haula/Hoffman (though an unusual case) etc signed 1 year deals for relatively little. The 1st tier FA fight / bidding was relatively normalish.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
To be fair, this didn't become clear until after the trade went down and the 2nd tier FAs, guys like Duclair/Haula/Hoffman (though an unusual case) etc signed 1 year deals for relatively little. The 1st tier FA fight / bidding was relatively normalish.

You could see it coming though. I mean, this is what I said 2 days after the trade happened:

Honestly, the only derogatory thing I can potentially say about this trade is that maybe we took our shot too early. I think that there is a legitimate case that can be made that Johnsson isn't worth 3.4 x 3 in this environment if he's not a 50 point guy. That being said, he could absolutely be a 50 point guy for us lol. So I don't think that is a question we can answer right here and now. But if a guy like Kahun signs for 2 x 2 or something, can see how how people would waffle on this trade just a bit.

That's not to say that I think the trade was bad or anything like that...I just think that there was always a good chance he was going to be overpaid or we weren't going to get max value on the contract. Nothing wrong with that. I was fine with the trade then, I am fine with the trade now. Sometimes they just don't work out, but you can't always play the results and at this point he's played 5 games without our full roster.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
People keep saying 3.4m but he makes 2.6m this year in salary and 2.5m the next two years through the magic of Toronto’s signing bonus heavy contracts. Johnsson was more valuable because of his cheaper salary and that will continue to be true in the future (unless he tanks his value). Lots of teams have internal budgets and all teams want to spend less.

I was unenthused about the trade because I was pretty high on Anderson as a defensive forward with scoring pop. In the end I was ok with it because we do need goals right now and if paired with the right players AJ should provide those. I don’t think he has particularly high ceiling but Toronto fans have talked up his motor so this was likely a problem gelling with linemates. The dude is reported to be a high effort guy.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Andreas Johnssons past 2 seasons:
Rookie year: 43 points in 73 games
2nd year: 21 points in 43 games

That's 64 points in 116 games.
.55pts/gm

Over a full 82 game season, he put up a 45 point pace over his first 2 seasons!

That's a pretty good player. Slow start, but I have confidence in him.

A 45 point player is on a good contract at 3.4m

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
7D9AFE4B-3E16-4B87-8BA1-C9305CBC4A75.gif

Reactions: EXTRAS

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Sharangovich got to play with Hughes for several games and he did not look like this. Solid 2 1/2 games from Johnsson so far after looking like a total disaster - hoping that some of the others who are fighting it can get their timing back.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Mango was always going to get a long leash, and now he has settled in a bit thanks to Hughes and Bratt. That goal he had today was a beauty, hopefully it’s gives him the confidence to start shooting more, lord knows he’ll get plenty of good looks.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So Nico is going to have to drag around Palms and Gusev when he limps back to the ice? I’m sure the guy just trying to get past a broken leg and get comfortable playing again is the guy who should be saddled with salvaging the underachieving duo. Hopefully they’ve both turned it around before Nico starts playing.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The guy had a 44 point per 82 game pace over his first 2 NHL seasons. Obviously he was gonna get going at some point.

Reactions: Darkauron

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So Nico is going to have to drag around Palms and Gusev when he limps back to the ice? I’m sure the guy just trying to get past a broken leg and get comfortable playing again is the guy who should be saddled with salvaging the underachieving duo. Hopefully they’ve both turned it around before Nico starts playing.

Nico can handle it. He's our best player.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hell yes. It would be pretty ugly if not for his resurrection.
Him , Mercer , Hamilton, Graves , Bernier have all been very good this year. Without them it would be very very ugly.

To be fair, Bratt, MBW, Zacha, and Siegenthaler have all been varying levels of good to better than basic good. Hischier is still not up to par most games (which I think is injury hangover) but the only guys truly struggling badly are Tatar, Shara, Kuokkanen, and Smith. My guess is most teams in the middle have similar stories. I think Johnsson finally got over whatever knee injury he had prior to joining NJ. That sort of stuff can linger even if a player is cleared. Inflammation, pain, and fear of reinjury can last well beyond the structural healing.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Eating crow big time on Mango. Complete 180 and couldn’t be happier for him. I do still miss Joey; he was your prototypical bottom-6 energy guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad