Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VI - The Home Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Those save % and GAA aren't that bad based on overall record and they're probably a bit inflated by this years bad performances.

The past couple seasons performances. This season also has 4 games before his 11 game poor stretch.

His best final 15 game stretch was 4 years ago and then it trends sharply downward. That also happens to be his first season as a fulltime starter. The save %'s per season are:

'14-'15 - .922
'15-'16 - .909
'16-'17 - .890
'17-'18 - .888

still only capturing 35 points out of a possible 120 is something else. Cory probably just had a real short shelf life. Expiring pretty quickly.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The past couple seasons performances. This season also has 4 games before his 11 game poor stretch.

His best final 15 game stretch was 4 years ago and then it trends sharply downward. That also happens to be his first season as a fulltime starter. The save %'s per season are:

'14-'15 - .922
'15-'16 - .909
'16-'17 - .890
'17-'18 - .888

still only capturing 35 points out of a possible 120 is something else. Cory probably just had a real short shelf life. Expiring pretty quickly.
I think physically something just broke down with him.

Usually when a goalie goes bad this early after being really good for the first so many years, it's usually an ailment or just being overworked for years. Other goalies who fell off a similar age seemed to have injury factors that played a role. Jimmy Howard being one of them. Kari Lehtonen seemed to decline due to health and possibly over-usage for a few seasons. Ward was starting close to 70 games (over 70 games in a couple of those years) for the better part of a 5 year stretch. But like I said about Ward, he was not good for very long. He was crap for several years to start his career (random 20 games in the playoffs in 2006 aside), he was pretty good for 4 years in the middle, now he's been crap again for 6 years.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I think physically something just broke down with him.

Usually when a goalie goes bad this early after being really good for the first so many years, it's usually an ailment or just being overworked for years. Other goalies who fell off a similar age seemed to have injury factors that played a role. Jimmy Howard being one of them. Kari Lehtonen seemed to decline due to health and possibly over-usage for a few seasons. Ward was starting close to 70 games (over 70 games in a couple of those years) for the better part of a 5 year stretch. But like I said about Ward, he was not good for very long. He was crap for several years to start his career (random 20 games in the playoffs in 2006 aside), he was pretty good for 4 years in the middle, now he's been crap again for 6 years.

it just makes me think: i cant believe a goalie like brodeur ever existed and it one point was considered overrated.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
it just makes me think: i cant believe a goalie like brodeur ever existed and it one point was considered overrated.
Definitely the most consistent.

He wasn't the best every single year, but the guys that were usually better than him in any given year (minus maybe Roy and Hasek during his time), were not better than him every year.

And I still think his best season was 07-08 when he was 35.

He fell off a little bit at the turn of the decade, but that was pretty understandable. 38 years old, a zillion miles on the odometer, season after season of 70+ games played.

One thing I was dead wrong on was that back in the early 00's, I remember saying that he'd probably be retired by 2010 at the latest. I never saw him playing into his 40's, until he was in his mid-30's or so. Maybe when he signed that deal that had him under contract until 2012, I thought ''Alright, looks like he will play until 40''. I saw Roy retire at 37 and figured that Marty would probably retire at the same age, but also knew that he'd break the wins and shutout record, just not as extended as they were. I remember being on Marty record watch by the early 2000's. I figured he'd break the wins record in 07-08, barring long term injury and the shutouts record by the last season of his career, which I assumed to be 2010 at that time. He broke it in December of 2009. I also didn't think we'd lose a whole season to lockout when I started to think about it. He would have broken the wins record in 07-08, but lost all of 04-05 to the lockout.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

'14-'15 - .922
'15-'16 - .909
'16-'17 - .890
'17-'18 - .888

So he started breaking down after his First and only season as a real starter at the age of 28? This doesn't seem to drive....
The much more likely story is he was never really a starter and couldn't handle the rigors of a full workload.

Before that season he never played more than 45 games.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
So he started breaking down after his First and only season as a real starter at the age of 28? This doesn't seem to drive....
The much more likely story is he was never really a starter and couldn't handle the rigors of a full workload.

Before that season he never played more than 45 games.

Well goalies start to decline around age 30. And maybe his body breaks down earlier than others. Everyone is different. For all anybody knows, his best years could have been when he was a backup and his body could have handled the rigors of a full workload.

Either way, I don't see a bounce back likely. Even if he gets his confidence back, he probably isn't as good as he was when he was 25-27.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Definitely the most consistent.

He wasn't the best every single year, but the guys that were usually better than him in any given year (minus maybe Roy and Hasek during his time), were not better than him every year.

And I still think his best season was 07-08 when he was 35.

He fell off a little bit at the turn of the decade, but that was pretty understandable. 38 years old, a zillion miles on the odometer, season after season of 70+ games played.

One thing I was dead wrong on was that back in the early 00's, I remember saying that he'd probably be retired by 2010 at the latest. I never saw him playing into his 40's, until he was in his mid-30's or so. Maybe when he signed that deal that had him under contract until 2012, I thought ''Alright, looks like he will play until 40''. I saw Roy retire at 37 and figured that Marty would probably retire at the same age, but also knew that he'd break the wins and shutout record, just not as extended as they were. I remember being on Marty record watch by the early 2000's. I figured he'd break the wins record in 07-08, barring long term injury and the shutouts record by the last season of his career, which I assumed to be 2010 at that time. He broke it in December of 2009. I also didn't think we'd lose a whole season to lockout when I started to think about it. He would have broken the wins record in 07-08, but lost all of 04-05 to the lockout.

Ugh that lockout was the worst. Brodeur was at his absolute peak and lost that year to hockey. Came back rusty as all hell but returned to form to finish 2nd in the Vezina voting. I always wonder what would have been if they were never locked out. 5 straight Vezinas? An MVP season?

Personally, even though I was 13 at the time, '96-'97 was Brodeur's best year. I don't think he allowed a goal that wasn't tip or deflected that he saw cleanly. He played goaltending as perfectly as could be played that season. When you talk about stoppable goals, he might have allowed 5 at most.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yup

Sorry Keith, but you might have to take the bullet here. The only time he’s shown to be a good 1b goalie is in way too small of a sample to gamble or trust.

Hopefully, Shero can call up a GM that has a better starter than current Cory and say “Look, he’s a good backup, we like him, we only wanna dump him because we need a more reliable option than him, due to our starter being no longer reliable, not very durable anymore and having injury problems 2 of the last 3 years. We know that (insert good starter) is a pretty good and pretty durable goaltender/starter in the league. It’s not an indictment on Kinkaid, it’s an indictment on Schneider. So would you like him, so that we don’t have to bury him in the minors? He’s a solid enough backup, we just need something more than a solid enough backup”.
Keith has won a good number of games in his career.

If you think how bad the teams were from 2013 to this season and consider that is the bulk of his career...his numbers aren't bad at all

Before this season 56 starts, 23 wins. Before this season the most he played was last season at 23 starts and he had a respectable sv%. Considering those teams, winning close to 50% of his games was a pretty big accomplishments.

I don't think you can ding him for lack of games or sample, not his fault.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The much more likely story is he was never really a starter
87dc2fcc65aa3c029b44e81f43bf782e.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If we are talking about goalies this much, it is never good. Yuck. Can't we just put chair in net like we used to do on my block because nobody wanted to play in net.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
That goal from behind the blue line against Florida is the turning point of the season. It just destroyed Cory's confidence and it was a 4 point swing.

I’m quoting this because the game winner was bad. Really bad. But it’s not just that. The team just didn’t look engaged enough that night imho. They didn’t treat that game with the urgency it deserved. So while I agree that game is a huge moment in our season if we’re on the outside in a of couple weeks, that game is on the entire team. Not even defending Cory here, it’s just that they collectively shit their pants as a team that night. Maybe the most disappointing loss of the season for me.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I’m quoting this because the game winner was bad. Really bad. But it’s not just that. The team just didn’t look engaged enough that night imho. They didn’t treat that game with the urgency it deserved. So while I agree that game is a huge moment in our season if we’re on the outside in a of couple weeks, that game is on the entire team. Not even defending Cory here, it’s just that they collectively **** their pants as a team that night. Maybe the most disappointing loss of the season for me.

Yes, they couldn't score but Luongo made some real timely stops. I thought it was a game where both teams looked even and the team that won, won because of goaltending. I know it was Cory's first game back and he played extremely well up until that softie but he allowed the same type of goal in the SJ game. It wasn't a rust issue. It's not just the L that made it a turning point for me. It's the type of goal that he's been allowing for the past 2 seasons. If he at least got the game to overtime we'd control our own destiny. What compounded that mistake was his subsequent starts. Losing a very winnable game against Winn and allowing some poor goals against Vegas. For me, that goal against the Panthers vwas when I lost all hope for a Cory bounce back and that's the turning point of the season.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ugh that lockout was the worst. Brodeur was at his absolute peak and lost that year to hockey. Came back rusty as all hell but returned to form to finish 2nd in the Vezina voting. I always wonder what would have been if they were never locked out. 5 straight Vezinas? An MVP season?

Personally, even though I was 13 at the time, '96-'97 was Brodeur's best year. I don't think he allowed a goal that wasn't tip or deflected that he saw cleanly. He played goaltending as perfectly as could be played that season. When you talk about stoppable goals, he might have allowed 5 at most.
I actually remember early in the 96-97 season, Marty went through a string of games where he was allowing some bad goals and he was asked in the post game why they keep happening and he graciously admitted that he was playing poorly, but needed to talk to his goalie coach to see what the problem was and to see what he could work on some more. And after that, he was lights out for months straight. Might have had a stray 4 goal against or more game here and there and a few 3 goal against games.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
The first goal on Cory in SJ really made me miss Brodeur's stand up style. That would have been a routine chest save for him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The first goal on Cory in SJ really made me miss Brodeur's stand up style. That would have been a routine chest save for him.
Marty occasionally let in those dead anglers, maybe once or twice a year.

I remember one in the 03 Tampa series. They’d usually just go 5-hole though. Cory left way too much of the top corner short side open.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Marty occasionally let in those dead anglers, maybe once or twice a year.

I remember one in the 03 Tampa series. They’d usually just go 5-hole though. Cory left way too much of the top corner short side open.

Right - 5-hole off the inside of the pad...

That's the second game in a row for Cory not getting his shoulder under the post, I think...

Honestly - I don't think it is injuries, or fatigue, or a 'dropoff' in Cory's play - he's simply dead inside when it comes to confidence - it's pretty clear in his body language. Get a shrink on the phone, stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad