Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Vegas doesn't pick him how do you get rid of him? I guess you could retain salary on a trade but there's still the matter of the NTC. It'd really be getting rid of him at ten cents of the dollar but he was so awful and passionless they might do that anyway.

Buy him out? Nobody will trade for him.

Buying him out would be awful...four years of a fairly decent sized cap hit.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
How big of a cap hit? Like around $1.5 million wouldn't it? Maybe not this year, but I could see it after next season.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
How big of a cap hit? Like around $1.5 million wouldn't it? Maybe not this year, but I could see it after next season.

Yeah it'd be like 1.6 something I think, which wouldn't be that terrible, but obviously not ideal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I think $1.67 million each of the next four years, which I suppose isn't that terrible (used to be I think 2/3 of the contract number), but I don't want to be too careless especially if you can do a 50% retained trade and limit the cap loss to the next two years which shouldn't matter at all.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think Cammalleri will and should be on the team next season. I think he bounces back with about 20 g 25 a if he's healthy all year.

In terms of lineup for next season, way too early to speculate. there are only a few 'locks' to be on the team.
Hall, Zajac, Palmieri, Zacha, 1st overall, Bennett
Greene, Severson
Schneider

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think Cammalleri will and should be on the team next season. I think he bounces back with about 20 g 25 a if he's healthy all year.

In terms of lineup for next season, way too early to speculate. there are only a few 'locks' to be on the team.
Hall, Zajac, Palmieri, Zacha, 1st overall, Bennett
Greene, Severson
Schneider

Why would you think he'd be able to stay healthy

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We are assuming of course that Cammalleri is actually done and he didn't just have a miserable season. Given his age it's probably more likely, but say we sign Kovy and he plays second line LW, we could drop Cammalleri to the third line where he at least wouldn't kill us if he's done. Although given Shero's comments about certain guys "not being here" I tend to think that was aimed at Cammalleri.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are assuming of course that Cammalleri is actually done and he didn't just have a miserable season. Given his age it's probably more likely, but say we sign Kovy and he plays second line LW, we could drop Cammalleri to the third line where he at least wouldn't kill us if he's done. Although given Shero's comments about certain guys "not being here" I tend to think that was aimed at Cammalleri.

Well that and we now have a bit of log jam at LW.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Why would you think he'd be able to stay healthy

When did i ever say that? I think his production will be around 20 g 25 IF he stays healthy. Knowing Cammy he'll probably play about 60 games which translates to like 15 goals 18 assists. Ill gladly take that from a 3rd line LW that plays on the second PP unit.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Zacha/Rico - Patrick -???
Quenneville - Zacha/Rico - Bennett/McLeod??

Unless one of Rico Zacha Queneville or Camm himself play off-wing I don't see a place for him next year

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Shattenkirk doing his best to drop his value. God is he looking like ****. Anyone willing to give him 7 million is beyond foolish.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
When did i ever say that? I think his production will be around 20 g 25 IF he stays healthy. Knowing Cammy he'll probably play about 60 games which translates to like 15 goals 18 assists. Ill gladly take that from a 3rd line LW that plays on the second PP unit.

You didn't say it but I think even trying to extrapolate stats based off of his staying healthy is a waste but I digress

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not sure Camm can bounce back in a bottom 6 role.

He had such a weird year. He looked fantastic for like 8 games, but then was invisible for most of the rest of the year. The team as a whole had a bad year though, so I'm not sure how much of anything to really take from the season. Hopefully we either find a taker for him or he bounces back.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Shattenkirk has played less than any Caps Defenseman except for Niskanen (got kicked out of the game). That's hilarious

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The problem with Shatty is I don't mind eating bad years 5-7 cause that's usually the cost of FA and we can afford his salary the first couple years without a problem. But if you're going to have issues with him playing too much right off the hop I'd just rather find a Zidlicky-type retread to fill that role and spend our cap space elsewhere.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The problem with Shatty is I don't mind eating bad years 5-7 cause that's usually the cost of FA and we can afford his salary the first couple years without a problem. But if you're going to have issues with him playing too much right off the hop I'd just rather find a Zidlicky-type retread to fill that role and spend our cap space elsewhere.

I do worry about him being over exposed on our much thinner blue line.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I do worry about him being over exposed on our much thinner blue line.

He's going to get hammered. Shattenkirk doesn't make us much better to justify getting at the term he will probably get.

Oh ya, we have lots of cap space, so let's just throw it away on a guy who is a huge liability defensively. Completely disappear when play starts to get physical. He's going to get absolutely destroyed in the Metropolitan.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Rangers are going to Redden him and it'll be fun again. He's just not more than a 3/4. Fine player but not worth what he'll get. Just because we have money doesn't mean we need to spend it on a guy not worth it. It's an awful idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad