Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
By Canadian standards, Winnipeg is pretty high in poverty and crime rates, I believe, but, of course, if you were an NHL player, you wouldn't live in a "bad" neighborhood. Still I don't think it has the appeal of many other Canadian cities I've been to.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've heard that you have to plug your car in at night during the Winter in Winnipeg, because of how cold it is.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
By Canadian standards, Winnipeg is pretty high in poverty and crime rates, I believe, but, of course, if you were an NHL player, you wouldn't live in a "bad" neighborhood. Still I don't think it has the appeal of many other Canadian cities I've been to.

Crime rates have nothing to do why Wpg or other teams are on that list.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I realize other teams have scouts and would easily be aware of Moore's deficiencies, but wouldn't a defenseman with 10+ goals have some trade value?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I realize other teams have scouts and would easily be aware of Moore's deficiencies, but wouldn't a defenseman with 10+ goals have some trade value?

Especially since he's a fantastic skater who excels in OT. Granted you don't look for guys specifically for OT but he's very good in OT because of his skating.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Especially since he's a fantastic skater who excels in OT. Granted you don't look for guys specifically for OT but he's very good in OT because of his skating.

I would imagine a contender could put him on a 3rd pairing with a competent defensive partner.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
One bad season while playing in front of the worst defense in the league and the worst Devils team in 30 years is enough context for me to give Schneider another chance and trade him in a deal for just Trouba. That's horrible asset management, especially when we could sign Shattenkirk either way it would take Trouba+. When's the last time a goalie as good as Schneider who's wtill in his prime been traded, besides when he was traded here and we only got him so cheap because their GM screwed up the whole situation and was desperate. He's still a top goalie in this league and his cap hit doesn't even effect our ability to improve the roasted.

Kincaid's played slightly better, they were actually even in almost every statistic until like 10 days ago, and the team had also played noticeably better in front on Kincaid. Trading Schneider would be such a reactionary move and that's not how you run a hockey team. Look at all the goals the Penguins scored tonight so far through two periods everyone was unstoppable.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Moore most definitly has some value especially if you use him the right way. He's our best scoring defensman probably our best offensive defensman and doesn't get PP time. Part of me wouldn't mind him back.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Moore most definitly has some value especially if you use him the right way. He's our best scoring defensman probably our best offensive defensman and doesn't get PP time. Part of me wouldn't mind him back.

He's better 5-on-5 offensively than he is on the PP.

The way the Devils use their defense on the PP its more as a distributor which isn't Moore's M.O. Moore likes to find soft spots and move up the ice which doesn't really happen on the PP.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I wouldn't mind it at all either. If, hypothetically we were to sign Shattenkirk, I wouldn't mind keeping Moore as 3LD. I realize Shattenkirk has little to do with Moore but I'm going with if we add top guys it bumps our current guys down a peg lol.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Moore didn't have trade value two years ago when sucky Arizona non-tendered him. I suppose he MIGHT now after getting a regular shift for two years, with double-digit goals this year. I mean if Gelinas can be traded, maybe Moore can too. But it's probably a moot point cause we almost need to lose him in the expansion draft.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Moore didn't have trade value two years ago when sucky Arizona non-tendered him. I suppose he MIGHT now after getting a regular shift for two years, with double-digit goals this year. I mean if Gelinas can be traded, maybe Moore can too. But it's probably a moot point cause we almost need to lose him in the expansion draft.

Does make one wonder if who Shero will protect? Do the goals lead Shero to protecting Moore and exposing Merrill?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Does make one wonder if who Shero will protect? Do the goals lead Shero to protecting Moore and exposing Merrill?

I wouldn't put it entirely past us, especially considering how often Merrill's been a scratch lately. With his lack of offense and durability maybe they don't see him as part of the future.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lovejoy is the first to go if I'm making a choice. For numerous reasons, him being one of Hynes favorite toys being another reason.

I don't even play the eeny meeny miny moe game with the two of them. Lovejoy can go first, he's a much larger detriment and plague on the team, at least with the way he's been used.

Let him go and cook some butternut squash for the team's pregame meals or whatever he was making during that segment.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Really think the Devils end up going 4-4.

Hall, Zajac, Palmieri, Henrique, Greene, Severson, Lovejoy, and one of Moore/Merrill.

Would prefer keeping Moore/Merrill, but I highly doubt the Devils don't protect Lovejoy. Would basically leave Cammalleri, DSP, Moore or Merrill, and Prout as the options for LV.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lovejoy is the first to go if I'm making a choice. For numerous reasons, him being one of Hynes favorite toys being another reason.

I don't even play the eeny meeny miny moe game with the two of them. Lovejoy can go first, he's a much larger detriment and plague on the team, at least with the way he's been used.

Let him go and cook some butternut squash for the team's pregame meals or whatever he was making during that segment.

If they protect Lovejoy that's practically a fireable offense at this point. Unless there's some codicil in the protection rules we don't understand that is making us keep him :P

Greene and Severson are two definites you would think, the third D HAS to be Merrill or at worst Moore. The only scenario I could see Lovejoy being protected is if we go 4-4 (forwards/defense) and dare Vegas to take Camm. But even then it'd be silly to expose either Moore or Merrill over Lovejoy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly, I don't think Vegas would take Merrill anyway.

I don't think they'll take Lovejoy either.

I'm leaning towards Moore being the one they take, IF he's exposed. A few people have said that already, and I'm tending to lean that way.

Reason being, they know Lovejoy sucks, who the hell doesn't at this point with how many minutes he plays a night?

Moore's offense might be appetizing to them and Merrill's durability issues and lack of offense probably will lead them to believe that Moore has more upside or the better ceiling.

Hope they take that HACK Boedker from the Sharks. I'm sure they've seen enough of him to pass at this point. Maybe if he had one or 2 years left and not 3.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If they protect Lovejoy that's practically a fireable offense at this point. Unless there's some codicil in the protection rules we don't understand that is making us keep him :P

Greene and Severson are two definites you would think, the third D HAS to be Merrill or at worst Moore. The only scenario I could see Lovejoy being protected is if we go 4-4 (forwards/defense) and dare Vegas to take Camm. But even then it'd be silly to expose either Moore or Merrill over Lovejoy.

I'm not putting it past them to protect Lovejoy, I think they probably will.

The way he's utilized here by this very poor bench staff is already a vote of confidence. If his minutes were going down, down, down, the further we've ventured into this season, I think I'd be saying otherwise.

I don't even think you need to protect Lovejoy to ensure he's still here, the cat is out of the bag. Everyone knows how much he sucks now. Everyone other than Hynes and Nasreddine.

Maybe Shero knows this and finds a way to banish him, since his hand picked staff believes otherwise.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would laugh hysterically if Vegas ends up taking Prout.

I wouldn't really care.

Lovejoy is the guy we really need to get out of here and if he's not removed from the team, there's really no one else that badly needs to be purged, provided Cammalleri doesn't completely grenade on us next year.

All the other turds and undesirables only have a year left on their deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad