Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To carry over from the last thread, I think 15-16 might be the best season from Henrique.

I think he could score 60 points, but I'd bet it won't be consistently. Way worse players have scored 60 points though.

I only see him as a 45 point player and going forward into his 30's, I don't think he'll be any better than that.

I think it's a valid concern to worry about him getting a bad contract on his deal, just because of his past track record, the 30 goal season he had and the fact that he's been riding an insane career shooting percentage.

Which is another reason why I'm not one to get on him when he doesn't score for a week or two at a time. I don't think he's any better than what he is. I think this year he had a slight down year, perhaps a few more PP points. I don't think he underachieved by a whole lot though.

I think if we sign him to a deal worth $6 million for 5 years, we might be just signing him to sign him.

Like I said, I'm alright with keeping him for something fair. He's been well worth the contract that he's currently on, and that's why I think he's due a significant raise from it in 2 years. It's only because he's a UFA in 2 more years that I think we need to decide in the next year what we're gonna do with him. I would like much better than a couple 2nd rounders for him, but a couple 2nd rounders is still better than letting him walk for nothing, which is something Lou got nailed for around here. I'm absolutely not in favor of trading him for 2nd rounders or picks this year though. I'd want more than that, I don't feel we need to make the decision on him just yet. With him being UFA in 2018, we're gonna need to decide whether he's a piece going forward after next season and see how much he wants. Trading him for picks right now is getting rid of him just to get rid of him, but I also feel like signing him for $30 million for 5 years would also be signing him just to sign him.

Maybe he doesn't get $30 million for 5 years? Maybe he only gets $5 million per year. I can definitely justify keeping him at $5 million per year, but I'm not sure for anymore than that. If he's not signed by March of 2019, we can probably get a 1st for him at the deadline. I'm hoping we're a playoff team by then.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No it isn't valid.

End of the day you have to eventually pay your players. We can't just run on ELCs and trade every pending UFA. This is broke expansion level kinds of thinking.

Honestly no one is going to grossly overpay for him in this current cap climate. It simply isn't good business. Plus there is literally zero reason to believe that Shero is going to hand out big overpayment contracts. This isn't Lou or Dean, and even then he hasn't helped win cups to even get considered for an overpayment loyalty contract.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No it isn't valid.

End of the day you have to eventually pay your players. We can't just run on ELCs and trade every pending UFA. This is broke expansion level kinds of thinking.

Honestly no one is going to grossly overpay for him in this current cap climate. It simply isn't good business. Plus there is literally zero reason to believe that Shero is going to hand out big overpayment contracts. This isn't Lou or Dean, and even then he hasn't helped win cups to even get considered for an overpayment loyalty contract.

I don't think he's gonna hand out an overpayment contract to Henrique at all.

And if he doesn't, what are the alternatives if he doesn't take a friendly deal? We'd have to trade him or let him walk in UFA. I'm pretty sure he can bring back a first round pick at the March 2019 deadline, but I'm hoping to be in the playoffs by then.

I can't get behind Henrique for $6 million a year, and he'll be 30 years old in the first year of his UFA deal. I don't think Shero will be behind giving him $6 million a year either.

You're right, we can't run on ELC's and trade every UFA, but anything more than $5.2 million per yer for Henrique can be a pretty bad contract 2 or 3 years into it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Let's worry about Henrique's next contract when it actually gets to that point. Until then it really makes no sense to move him unless it's for an upgrade at forward (which is unlikely) or a top 4 defenseman (which is probably equally as unlikely).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's worry about Henrique's next contract when it actually gets to that point. Until then it really makes no sense to move him unless it's for an upgrade at forward (which is unlikely) or a top 4 defenseman (which is probably equally as unlikely).

Are we really considering what trades we could make at the 2019 deadline?

When a player like Henrique becomes a UFA, typically you have to at least start thinking about it a year before he's a UFA. So that would be next offseason.

We don't have to really make a decision until next offseason at the earliest or at the latest, deadline of 2019. That's why I've said 2019 deadline, that would be the last chance to make a decision. I agree it makes no sense to trade him unless it's for an upgrade though. I wouldn't even trade him for a top 4 defender right now. I'd rather be for a top 2 defenseman or a comparable forward that's a little bit younger. Someone suggested Tyler Johnson or one of those Tampa boys a while back.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm hoping the team's finally competitive enough where they don't have to dump anyone at the 2019 deadline, otherwise we have bigger problems than Henrique's next contract.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm hoping the team's finally competitive enough where they don't have to dump anyone at the 2019 deadline, otherwise we have bigger problems than Henrique's next contract.
Definitely agree.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Henrique alone won't get anything great but Henrique + 2nd + mid level prospect could get us an upgrade at C or a dman if we find the right trading partner.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No it isn't valid.

A: No one said the Devils weren't going to get a player of a similar age/UFAness to Henrique in a Henrique deal. I would not deal him for picks or prospects; I want a player, and if I'm getting a player, I'm getting one who is 1-3 years out from UFA, probably.

B: Henrique is signed at 4M per for the next two years which is a perfectly reasonable price for a player of his ablity. The salary cap won't restrict a Henrique deal and if the Devils take salary back in said deal, they can get even more for him.

C: Henrique is the one player on the Devils who might be able to get the Devils more than he is worth. He is clutch and Canadian and kills penalties and scores goals. Without a closer look at him he looks like quite a good player, and he is good, just not as good as people think.

D: Henrique was signed by Lou as a potentially marquee player - Lou doesn't give out 6 year deals to players on an expired ELC, traditionally. He's good but he hasn't lived up to 'Give him a 6 year deal then give him a 7-8 year deal'. I'd want his next deal to expire at the same time as Palmieri's but that's impossible as it's only 2 years after his current deal expires. I just don't see any reason for the Devils to marry themselves to this kind of player; he's not going to give any value on a long-term contract because everything he does well is suitably priced by the market and the things he doesn't do well are the things that are not.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I would prefer to trade Henrique this offseason. The closer we get to UFA, the lesser value he returns.

2 years from UFA could be one of the selling points to a potential team. Maybe they'd be willing to match value.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I too agree that I am not saying we should just dump Henrique for the sake of dumping him. That I don't agree with.

However, as some have mentioned, I think that his value around the league would atually be pretty decent. I think we could package him with a pick and a prospect and get either an upgrade at C or a top 4 DMan.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I would not trade Henrique, he can play either C or LW and can score goals for us. We are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, once we add to our team on the backend and perhaps get a player he has chemistry with, he can be a 50 point player.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Henrique with 25-50% retained would be a very valuable piece for a contender looking for scoring depth.

I'd do it for the right young D or high-end D prospect.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If the rumour that Yzerman might be shopping Drouin is true, I'd be all over that. The kid is a game changer, period.

If the price to pay is Damen Severson, so be it. For whatever reason, it seems as if management doesn't value Damon as much as our fans and if that's the case, I wouldn't think twice about adding a legit offensive threat like JD.

Yes, we'd be sacrificing a big piece on our blueline but I can almost bet my house that Shero has a plan to turn things around this summer (after watching his PC) and it all starts with finding a team identity. He wants his team to play a certain way but first and foremost, he wants his guys to give it their all on every single shift, something we didn't see from several of our veterans and of course Severson.

Again, after watching his press conference, I can see someone like Henrique getting moved for some help on the blueline, I don't see how Cammalleri will be part of our team next year after the horrible performance he gave us this year, Andy Greene seems like a good guy but is he captain material, etc, etc, etc...

I think we'll see a lot of movement this offseason in order to ressemble a team to the identity of what Shero and Hynes want to build.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If the rumour that Yzerman might be shopping Drouin is true, I'd be all over that. The kid is a game changer, period.

If the price to pay is Damen Severson, so be it. For whatever reason, it seems as if management doesn't value Damon as much as our fans and if that's the case, I wouldn't think twice about adding a legit offensive threat like JD.

Yes, we'd be sacrificing a big piece on our blueline but I can almost bet my house that Shero has a plan to turn things around this summer (after watching his PC) and it all starts with finding a team identity. He wants his team to play a certain way but first and foremost, he wants his guys to give it their all on every single shift, something we didn't see from several of our veterans and of course Severson.

Again, after watching his press conference, I can see someone like Henrique getting moved for some help on the blueline, I don't see how Cammalleri will be part of our team next year after the horrible performance he gave us this year, Andy Greene seems like a good guy but is he captain material, etc, etc, etc...

I think we'll see a lot of movement this offseason in order to ressemble a team to the identity of what Shero and Hynes want to build.

I brought this up a few days ago but everyone wanted to continue discussing trading Henrique:laugh:

Severson would only be the starting point. I don't want to trade him but if Shero has a plan to address the D after losing him then I would be in for getting a Drouin. That kid is so dynamic. I wonder how much more the add would be because I really feelDroui has a lot more value.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I don't get the wanting to move Severson for a forward. Doing that forces us to attempt to replace him through free agency as we have nobody to replace him internally. Rykov is the only defenseman we have who SEEMS to have any sort of future. It just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. We already unloaded one defenseman for a forward, Im not sure doing it again makes sense. It makes us need 3 defenseman via free agency or trade.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't get the wanting to move Severson for a forward. Doing that forces us to attempt to replace him through free agency as we have nobody to replace him internally. Rykov is the only defenseman we have who SEEMS to have any sort of future. It just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. We already unloaded one defenseman for a forward, Im not sure doing it again makes sense. It makes us need 3 defenseman via free agency or trade.
It only makes sense if:

(1) You're doing it for reasons of personality rather than talent
(2) You are acquiring multiple top-4 defenseman

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Trade Severson+ for Drouin.
Trade Henrique+ for top 4 defenseman.
Sign Shattenkirk.

Sounds like an offseason in NHL 17.:laugh:

Right? I mean I'm all for trying to pry someone from Minnesota or Anaheim and throwing a Brinks truck full of cash at Shattenkirk but I just don't see how trading Severson makes sense unless those things are BOTH done before we trade him.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Right? I mean I'm all for trying to pry someone from Minnesota or Anaheim and throwing a Brinks truck full of cash at Shattenkirk but I just don't see how trading Severson makes sense unless those things are BOTH done before we trade him.

Shero wouldn't be trading Severson just to add a forward, he'd be trading him for reasons he and Hynes both know. The kid has talent but there's something that's rubbing management the wrong way and if Ray can acquire Vatanen/Dumba for Henrique or a couple of 2nd round picks, it wouldn't hurt at all IMO.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
https://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hoke...u-chtel-hrat-pak-mi-prestal-brat-telefon.html

The translation is terrible, but there's some good information in there about why Zacha's not playing at the Worlds. Notably;

When you spoke with Zach?
"It was sometime about a week before the end of the base. I called him, I asked him how he is doing and if she would be interested to come to camp and fight for a place in the line-up for the World Cup. He replied that yes, of course, that love will come. "

"Then came the general manager of New Jersey mail that did not pass the medical examination has something wrist and remains overseas to heal. Thus, we therefore took as a closed matter. "

So it seems Zacha wanted to go, but he has a wrist injury so we're not letting him. The fact that Zacha didn't respond personally is a little strange, but at least the injury isn't a concussion or anything serious like that.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
It only makes sense if:

(1) You're doing it for reasons of personality rather than talent
(2) You are acquiring multiple top-4 defenseman

I disagree. It only makes sense if you get a very big return. Drouin is one of the few players I'd trade Severson for, and even if it leaves our defense in shambles it creates a huge amount of opportunity. Imagine building around an offensive core of Hall, Drouin, Zacha, Mcleod, Palmieri and whomever we pick in this years draft (say a guys like Vilardi).

We'd be able to trade Henrique for a top 4 dman, and hopefully try to sign Shattenkirk. Even if we don't manage all of this I see Drouin as having too much upside to pass. I mean if Drouin keeps improving (which he most certainly will) we could even consider moving Hall for a top Dman if we're still in rebuild mode after next season.

A trade around Severson (even with an add like a 2nd or taking Callahan along with Drouin as a cap dump) for Drouin would be just as good for us as the Larsson for Hall trade. It can also work out nicely for Tampa assuming they don't get a clearly better offer like Hanifin for Drouin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad