Post-Game Talk: Devil VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Look, we're all emotionally frayed right now. Game 7 wasn't competitive. There's a chasm that is growing between where this team is and where other teams are. If this, if that doesn't mean much to me. It is about execution, adaptation and perseverence.

That chasm is only going to grow between the Rangers and Devils unfortunately too. Going to be painful. Their rebuild looking much brighter than our rebuild already. Granted, things aren't usually linear, but NJD going to be tough for a long time.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He also didn't pass it, that's the thing that gets me. Everyone on this team thinks the game a snail's pace when they have the puck. It's not a few guys. It's everyone. Something is wrong with the team.
Yup. We must be the league leaders in plays like that where we have a scoring chance and we completely biff the chance because of indecision and too much hesitation. This is the Rangers beating themselves. Other teams come down and get a scoring chance on net from a play like that, we get nothing out of it.

There's no reason Zibanejad, a high end player in the league, should not be either getting a shot attempt or completing a pass in that scenario and unfortunately we see things like that every single game. Something is for sure wrong.

Reactions: The Gloaming
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Yup. We must be the league leaders in plays like that where we have a scoring chance and we completely biff the chance because of indecision and too much hesitation. This is the Rangers beating themselves. Other teams come down and get a scoring chance on net from a play like that, we get nothing out of it.

There's no reason Zibanejad, a high end player in the league, should not be either getting a shot attempt or completing a pass in that scenario and unfortunately we see things like that every single game. Something is for sure wrong.
Too many players come here and have their brains fall out of their head. It can't be a coincidence.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
That chasm is only going to grow between the Rangers and Devils unfortunately too. Going to be painful. Their rebuild looking much brighter than our rebuild already. Granted, things aren't usually linear, but NJD going to be tough for a long time.
Because they were ass for a decade. Eventually it has to turn around I would think. Buffalo also. They are going to be really good soon but they haven't made the playoffs in 12 fing years. People keep talking about their rebuilds like it's been so easy. Would Ranger fans have patience with the team sucking for a decade? I think not.

AK 27

I shoot puck. Puck go in net. I score goal.
Apr 15, 2015
NYC
Did anyone else notice that when a Rangers player gets the puck, they take way too much time to decide what to do with it? That could be a defenseman at the point, a winger on the sideboards, etc. Towards the END of Game 7 I saw them getting the puck and just firing it. And guess what? It got to the net. I mean, is this a player thing or a coaching thing? Because I find every shot / pass the Rangers make to be extremely predictable. And obviously the other teams know this too. That's why shooting lanes were closed, pucks got blocked and plays were consistently broken up.

Is this the players? The coaches? Both? Or am I just imagining things?

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I don't agree. Extremely disappointing yes, catastrophic no. Even up 2-0 after the first 2 games I never thought it was a slam dunk because Jersey was such a good road team and was a little uneasy about that. I always said home ice meant nothing in this series. What I define as catastrophic is Boston losing the way they did with their expectations. Now that's catastrophic. This was their year and were huge favorites and to lose a series to a team that finished 43 points behind you after leading the series 3-1 is bad. They are also older, have no 1st or 2nd rounders for the next 2 years, and a limited prospect pool.

Of course this was a disaster. You cannot say anything else really when the supposed "Panarin" or "Igor" window slammed shut punching the Rangers face in. The organization now faces major work to put the pieces back together again.

The Devils are a young team whose window opened this very season and they simply blew us out of the water in the games where they had their system in place. Our team didn't even compete in the final crucial game on top of completely failing to close the series out in games 3 and 4.

We have talented individuals through out the squad but we never had a functional team throughout the season (a handful of games apart maybe for the nitpickers). We regressed in many aspects from the previous season when we should have taken a clear and obvious step up in progression towards becoming a leading cup contender.

This team failed and failed in a spectacular fashion. For all it's individual talent this team is flawed, poorly led and constructed. The team fell apart under pressure, as many of us suspected they might watching the many odd and weak performances, especially against a certain type of opposition during the regular season, reasonable points total notwithstanding.

This season the players in the room lost something important, and that was apparent from the very beginning of the season (.500 hockey - helmet toss etc). They lost belief for whatever reason. Imo it was because they realized they were years behind other teams playing modern speed based hockey and their system was tactically inept.

Reactions: The Gloaming

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
f***ing psychopaths. Stain to this jersey and the fanbase.

If that was my son or daughter that got beat up on, that person would be eating through a PEG tube the rest of their life.
All sports fan bases between DC and Boston are trash, but crimes caught on camera have no place at any sporting event anywhere ever.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are videos going around Twitter of an older dude in a Rangers jersey repeatedly punching a member of the Devils cheerleading crew.

If anyone knows who he is, call the Newark police.

Our fans are not on the best track record. Last year someone sucker punched a Tampa fan, and knocked them out cold.

It’s a F’ing game. Yeah we get angry, depressed, pissed, but take it out on your TV remote or somethIng and not on another person.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
kaneshirtless.jpg

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Our fans are not on the best track record. Last year someone sucker punched a Tampa fan, and knocked them out cold.

It’s a F’ing game. Yeah we get angry, depressed, pissed, but take it out on your TV remote or somethIng and not on another person.
I broke a remote after the Henrique overtime goal, and it cost $120 to replace the remote and $700 to fix the hole in the wall.

Sports rage is not it.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Of course this was a disaster. You cannot say anything else really when the supposed "Panarin" or "Igor" window slammed shut punching the Rangers face in. The organization now faces major work to put the pieces back together again.

The Devils are a young team whose window opened this very season and they simply blew us out of the water in the games where they had their system in place. Our team didn't even compete in the final crucial game on top of completely failing to close the series out in games 3 and 4.

We have talented individuals through out the squad but we never had a functional team throughout the season (a handful of games apart maybe for the nitpickers). We regressed in many aspects from the previous season when we should have taken a clear and obvious step up in progression towards becoming a leading cup contender.

This team failed and failed in a spectacular fashion. For all it's individual talent this team is flawed, poorly led and constructed. The team fell apart under pressure, as many of us suspected they might watching the many odd and weak performances, especially against a certain type of opposition during the regular season, reasonable points total notwithstanding.

This season the players in the room lost something important, and that was apparent from the very beginning of the season (.500 hockey - helmet toss etc). They lost belief for whatever reason. Imo it was because they realized they were years behind other teams playing modern speed based hockey and their system was tactically inept.
Could it be that they just lost to a better team and the world is not ending? They lost a 7 game series to a team that finished ahead of them and was a tough matchup. They outscored that team 15-4 in 3 of those games. They were horrific in game 7 though. They also could have lost in 5 games to Pitt last year as easily as going up 3-0 in this series. They had some horrid games against Pitt last year as well. I didn't see regression. I saw the same things that happened last year. 110 point season vs 107 point season. This year they didn't get that bounce or extra PP goal that may have allowed them to advance. If they did advance they had a good chance of beating Carolina again. They need to get better and faster but I I basically saw the same team as last year.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Could it be that they just lost to a better team and the world is not ending? They lost a 7 game series to a team that finished ahead of them and was a tough matchup. They outscored that team 15-4 in 3 of those games. They were horrific in game 7 though. They also could have lost in 5 games to Pitt last year as easily as going up 3-0 in this series. They had some horrid games against Pitt last year as well. I didn't see regression. I saw the same things that happened last year. 110 point season vs 107 point season. This year they didn't get that bounce or extra PP goal that may have allowed them to advance. If they did advance they had a good chance of beating Carolina again. They need to get better and faster but I I basically saw the same team as last year.

Of course the world isn't ending. There's always next season for the eternal cycle of mediocrity to take another turn. The NYR is a nutshell.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

It was a game 7 loss to NJD so I can understand why people are frustrated, but you're right. They were the better team all season, they matched up well against us, and it took game 7 for them to advance.
The (over) reaction we're seeing is, I think, because:
- we went 'all-in' on Tank and Kane. People thought these were moves to put as over the top, forgetting that before this our top 9 RWers were KK, Vesey and Krav (LOL).
- we went up 2-0 and we really should be able to win 2 of 5 (and oh how crucial that call on Shesty turned out to be in game 3)
- we never fired a shot in game 7, which was incredibly disappointing. If we had have made yesterday a hard-fought game, reactions may be slightly less severe

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It boils down to buying into your system, you coach and your team.

This team 10 years ago went balls to the wall every shift. They had half the talent and willed their way to the net. They literally never quit. When they lost, they lost while leaving it all out there. They couldn't score, sure, but that wasn't for a lack of trying.

Florida reminds me of that, only 10x the offensive talent and half the goaltending.

We now had the offensive talent, but no guts. That's why this loss hurts so much more. Because we all feel like we didn't see their next level that we know they have, except for Igor and maybe CK.

So in the end, it's an everything problem. But the lack of system is what really nailed it. They could get by with some lack of effort if they played their game, or had a game to play. You can't beat a cohesive speed team like the Devils while winging it like it's a pickup game.
Sorry this is a mirage b'c you bought into the propaganda machine by those who wanted to perpetuate quick fix win now.
Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids
Silly human, usually there are no shortctuts

There IS a way out of this, and it will cost, and not everyone will like it, but that is another story for another time.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This.

Our deadline additions up front were actually in the trio of forwards I would exclude from blame. Kreider, Tarasenko and Kane.

100% on Panarin, and 1 goal from Mika not nearly enough but atleast he kills penaltys and plays defense.

And yet it remains true that a team that needs heavy renting isn’t good enough to be renting anyway.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It was a game 7 loss to NJD so I can understand why people are frustrated, but you're right. They were the better team all season, they matched up well against us, and it took game 7 for them to advance.
The (over) reaction we're seeing is, I think, because:
- we went 'all-in' on Tank and Kane. People thought these were moves to put as over the top, forgetting that before this our top 9 RWers were KK, Vesey and Krav (LOL).
- we went up 2-0 and we really should be able to win 2 of 5 (and oh how crucial that call on Shesty turned out to be in game 3)
- we never fired a shot in game 7, which was incredibly disappointing. If we had have made yesterday a hard-fought game, reactions may be slightly less severe
I understand the frustration and disappointment especially over a horrible game 7 and a series loss to the Debbies but as usual some have lost their minds. Nobody should be shocked or surprised that we lost to a team that had the 3rd most points in the league. I don't even think we went "all in" tbh. We gave up a 1st, 2nd, and 4th which isn't chump change but hardly all in. Other teams gave up more at the deadline. We still have a 1st this year and next and retained all of our top prospects. I think there will be significant changes which may be a good thing.

Reactions: mike14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad