Devereaux sets Flames on fire

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
CALGARY (CP): Ask anyone within the Flames organization a few months ago what they thought the 08/09 season would bring and the conservatives amongst those polled would talk about a top six finish in the Western Conference and a real chance at winning a playoff round or two. Nobody expected this season of transition - with three of the Flames top 6 forwards (Ryder, Hejduk and Prospal) being moved out as salary cuts with nobody within the system ready to replace them until next season.

Nobody until the unlikely waiver wire pick-up of Lightning cast off Boyd Devereaux. "We really needed someone to play with Daymond Langkow on the second line in that RW spot. Boyd could bring experience and defensive reliability... and maybe some chemistry."

Some chemistry might be an understatement. Boyd has caught fire and helped the Flames to their best 4 game stretch of the season, with three very important wins. Devereaux has been the catalyst for the two game win streak, with a goal and 3 assists for four points in his first two games. Better is that Daymond Langkow has improved his Flames worst -20 plus/minus by a plus-4.

"I don't expect it to continue" laughed Devereaux "but I'm happy if I can play a part in turning the teams season around."

RUMOURS: The Flames have officially told suitors that G Backstrom is off the market despite the big improvement in form of Andrew Raycroft.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
So is Devereaux this year's HFNHL Dominic Moore?

He's more than Moore. Flames blast away at division rivals the Minnesota Wild.. 7-3. Boyd has a hat-trick and is the Flames 1st star for the third time since being claimed. Meanwhile his linemates, who have just sucked this year, especially Langkow, both had 4 point nights!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Boyd. What might be if only the Flames had picked up another Boyd rather than the useless pair of Arnott and Rafalski. Boyd now has 20 goals, and 39 points since Toronto decided he was too good for them and waived him. :)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Boyd. What might be if only the Flames had picked up another Boyd rather than the useless pair of Arnott and Rafalski. Boyd now has 20 goals, and 39 points since Toronto decided he was too good for them and waived him. :)

I'll gladly take Arnott and Rafalski off your hands this summer, Matthew - I'm sure I've got a late pick or two available. ;)

Kidding, of course. Your team should perform much better under the new sim, including those two, but you still may want to look at overall team toughness - seems the Flames (uncharacteristically) get pushed around quite a bit. My $0.02.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Kidding, of course. Your team should perform much better under the new sim, including those two, but you still may want to look at overall team toughness - seems the Flames (uncharacteristically) get pushed around quite a bit. My $0.02.

Cough, see my season preview, Cough.

Although those sissy Bruins seem to be doing pretty well so far. Maybe some of them grew a pair.

I recommend a team name change for next season's sim. The Calgary Flamettes.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Calgary Flamers. 'nuff said.

That was my initial thought, but I didn't want to get a lawsuit from someone in the HFNHL Flames organization, such as a player or General Manager. I figured they may take offence to it because of it's truth.

At least the Flamers don't have Mike Ribeiro like those sissy Canucks.

Mike-Ribeiro_1.jpg

bruno.jpg

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Ugh. No. This is my LA. I'm blind to all your Ontario boy loving.

Yes, nothing says "LA" quite like spray-tans, breast implants and botox at 25. :sarcasm:

Having said that, Devereaux has been a complete beast for you. To be honest, I don't get why he is considered a "bubble" NHLer -- he's got great wheels, good checking and a (seemingly) good team-first attitude. He makes my team any day.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
That was my initial thought, but I didn't want to get a lawsuit from someone in the HFNHL Flames organization, such as a player or General Manager. I figured they may take offence to it because of it's truth.

At least the Flamers don't have Mike Ribeiro like those sissy Canucks.

Mike-Ribeiro_1.jpg

bruno.jpg

Mike Ribeiro's 99 hits compared to Raffi Torres' 68 this year in the HFNHL says S-T-F-U.

(Is there anything stupider than a swear word filter that filters out acronyms?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad