Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospects Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think Nashville and Anaheim are only teams in this kind of situation?

I could believe that some of them could be used as a trade bait for a proven defenceman, on Larkin/Mantha/Bertuzzi age class, for 1-2 years older guy.
What kind of situation do you mean exactly? Having a D core that strong? Unfortunately, projecting Hronek, Cholo and McIsaac to be as good as say Josi, Ekholm and Ellis (with Subban being the star we're waiting on) is really optimistic no matter how happy we are with their play this year.

Reactions: lilidk

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
We had the same type of conversations with our future group of Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman and Jensen.

Not to mention Smith and Kindl.

Let’s chill on expectations but hope for a better turn out.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We had the same type of conversations with our future group of Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Backman and Jensen.

Not to mention Smith and Kindl.

Let’s chill on expectations but hope for a better turn out.

Saying theyre comparable to Anaheim and Nashville is a littlepremature obviously but I think its pretty clear this grouping is the best yet. They've all been productive at every level and they all dont have massive glaring flaws. We talk about Cholowskis defensive game but hes already far ahead of what Sproul was for example

Reactions: Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Saying theyre comparable to Anaheim and Nashville is a littlepremature obviously but I think its pretty clear this grouping is the best yet. They've all been productive at every level and they all dont have massive glaring flaws. We talk about Cholowskis defensive game but hes already far ahead of what Sproul was for example

...What by being almost passable at the NHL level vs a huge liability at the AHL level? What madness are you talking about?

Echoing this, I feel like the Wings' have gone from having far overhyped prospects to somewhat underhyped prospects. For instance Veleno and McIsaac, based off of the seasons they are having, if they were drafted in the 10-15 range like they were projected to at the beginning of their draft year, would have their respective fan bases talking them up like crazy. Heck, even Wings' fans seem to be cautiously optimistic (which is a good stance for prospects IMO), whereas in year's past, it seemed like we all couldn't stop raving about Smith being the heir to Lidstrom or Jarnkrok being the next Zetterberg or Mrazek being the next Hasek... I honestly think this time around is like apples and oranges to previous iterations of Red Wing prospects.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
...What by being almost passable at the NHL level vs a huge liability at the AHL level? What madness are you talking about?

Echoing this, I feel like the Wings' have gone from having far overhyped prospects to somewhat underhyped prospects. For instance Veleno and McIsaac, based off of the seasons they are having, if they were drafted in the 10-15 range like they were projected to at the beginning of their draft year, would have their respective fan bases talking them up like crazy. Heck, even Wings' fans seem to be cautiously optimistic (which is a good stance for prospects IMO), whereas in year's past, it seemed like we all couldn't stop raving about Smith being the heir to Lidstrom or Jarnkrok being the next Zetterberg or Mrazek being the next Hasek... I honestly think this time around is like apples and oranges to previous iterations of Red Wing prospects.
This is a good thing. Far less pressure on our prospects to exceed expectations.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I’m only going off memory but I think Sproul was CHL dman of the year. Ouellet was Q Dman of the year. Jensen was college something of the year.

And our rankings of them were something like...

Sproul
Ouellet
Marchenko
Backman
Jensen.

We had good reason to be hopeful for that group.

Reactions: mantha39

Christien

May 1, 2010
I’m only going off memory but I think Sproul was CHL dman of the year. Ouellet was Q Dman of the year. Jensen was college something of the year.

Sproul
Ouellet
Marchenko
Backman
Jensen.

I think this time around I'm more confident in our prospects on D because all of our guys now are way better skaters than the top 3 guys you listed. Gives them a better chance of making it imo

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

Sproul
Ouellet
Marchenko
Backman
Jensen.

Backman was also doing really well in the SHL as well. Marchenko was crushing Russian Junior hockey as well. We looked set on Defense with all those guys at that time. Sproul never grew any IQ, XO was incredibly slow, Marchenko couldn't progress his offense past juniors, Backman wasn't suited for the North American game.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

Sproul
Ouellet
Marchenko
Backman
Jensen.

Its true. We has Sproul looking like a 6"4 Rafalski (before we found out his defence would never improve) , Ouellet consistently being the smartest D guy in the Q (before we found out his skating would never improve), Jensen was a late bloomer but had 2 great late years in College (but his offence didn't translate). Marchenko projected as a nailed on 3rd d pair guy (and probably still is in some teams, but can earn a lot more in the KHL - but his skating actually got worse), and Backman had a +25 +/- in the SHL in his final year and a great 1st GR playoffs (before tailing off and being worse at 25 than he was at 20). Add in Almqvist who in his post draft season as an 18 year old put up 34 points in 15 j20 games before being a 50 point guy in GR before the 2nd dirty hit in row cemented the fact he lacked the skating to be evasive enough for the NHL, and Kindl having his one good season before reverting back to being scared of his own shadow, and Smith having not yet shown that he was definitely the scarecrow of our yellow brick road....

Even around the league analysts were impressed with our rebuild on the fly prospect pool. No one forsaw Jensen being the best of that group and as really a 3rd line D.

The thing that gives us hope now, is at least Cholowski and Hronek have shown genuine smarts and guts at AHL & NHL level. Will they pan out to be the 2nd pairing guys we hope? Hard to say, but both look better at the NHL level than most of the above list ever did.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Its true. We has Sproul looking like a 6"4 Rafalski (before we found out his defence would never improve) , Ouellet consistently being the smartest D guy in the Q (before we found out his skating would never improve), Jensen was a late bloomer but had 2 great late years in College (but his offence didn't translate). Marchenko projected as a nailed on 3rd d pair guy (and probably still is in some teams, but can earn a lot more in the KHL - but his skating actually got worse), and Backman had a +25 +/- in the SHL in his final year and a great 1st GR playoffs (before tailing off and being worse at 25 than he was at 20). Add in Almqvist who in his post draft season as an 18 year old put up 34 points in 15 j20 games before being a 50 point guy in GR before the 2nd dirty hit in row cemented the fact he lacked the skating to be evasive enough for the NHL, and Kindl having his one good season before reverting back to being scared of his own shadow, and Smith having not yet shown that he was definitely the scarecrow of our yellow brick road....

Even around the league analysts were impressed with our rebuild on the fly prospect pool. No one forsaw Jensen being the best of that group and as really a 3rd line D.

The thing that gives us hope now, is at least Cholowski and Hronek have shown genuine smarts and guts at AHL & NHL level. Will they pan out to be the 2nd pairing guys we hope? Hard to say, but both look better at the NHL level than most of the above list ever did.

You nailed the deficiencies of all of those d prospects perfectly lol. Kindl scared of his own shadow - so true.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Veleno finished the night with just an assist but was able to snag the second star of the game(in a loss on the road), anyone watch the game and have some insight as to why?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Impossible to say, making the NHL is so far away for him. He's certainly got lots of skill and smarts but needs to spend at least the next 2 years in Finland getting stronger and faster.

Men's club.

He seemed like a pretty good skater at the prospect camp. So I think really the focus should just be on getting stronger more than anything.

Otherwise I can see the similarities to Hudler, but kid looked pretty quick if I remember right.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He seemed like a pretty good skater at the prospect camp. So I think really the focus should just be on getting stronger more than anything.

Otherwise I can see the similarities to Hudler, but kid looked pretty quick if I remember right.
It's not a weakness but I think for his size it would be very beneficial to be a great skater. Getting away from traffic faster would help his game a lot and give him more time & space to use his vision and passing skills even more.

Reactions: Frk It
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad