Confirmed Trade: [DET/MTL] Jeff Petry 50% for Gustav Lindstrom and 2025 4th round pick

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
So for MTL to be the middleman in the Karlsson trade...

They got Gustav Lindstrom, DET 2025 4th round pick, PIT 2025 2nd Rd Pick, Casey DeSmith, and whatever the retained salary is on Petry, and ultimately like 900k less in salary cap I believe...

Has anyone deconstructed this yet to see just how terrible MTL did in this trade??

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

They got Gustav Lindstrom, DET 2025 4th round pick, PIT 2025 2nd Rd Pick, Casey DeSmith, and whatever the retained salary is on Petry, and ultimately like 900k less in salary cap I believe...

Has anyone deconstructed this yet to see just how terrible MTL did in this trade??
Or: got a 2nd and 2 4ths to get rid of their most unwanted player that nobody would take for free

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Lindström is not an NHL regular and a fourth round pick is unlikely to pan out, so it is basically for free. But I don't see the fit for the Red Wings, Petry is hardly q player that makes or brake the playoff hopes. This trade shows his value is basically 0, so filipping him at the deadline will not bring much. A free asset is a free asset I guess

Reactions: 1909

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
His wife didn't want to live in Canada so its really a 22 team NTC (unless he has the other 6 Canadian teams on it as is)

Pitlick & Hoffman would've been off the books next summer anyhow... so I guess Hughes really wanted those picks.

No he wanted Hoffman the f*** off the team, and he saved 500k

Why is your post contradicting it being terrible for mtl?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Maybe the weirdest thing about this, to me, is that knowing this is probably the last year to really capitalize on a severe cap crunch, MTL was cool with using their 2nd retention spot to get basically nothing.
They got something for taking the contract on initially and got rid of some dead weight.

Jul 6, 2016
The Detroit-MTL trade is not the important one for Hughes. The key one was the one with Pittsburg. Getting rid of Hoffman and Pitlick was huge. It saved cap space and created some room for their younger forwards. The rest is gravy.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Lindström is not an NHL regular and a fourth round pick is unlikely to pan out, so it is basically for free. But I don't see the fit for the Red Wings, Petry is hardly q player that makes or brake the playoff hopes. This trade shows his value is basically 0, so filipping him at the deadline will not bring much. A free asset is a free asset I guess
Petry is there to keep a seat warm while Detroit sees what becomes of ASP.

People act like Yzerman is trying to win the Cup right now when the reality is he's just trying to marginally improve to:

1. Keep the fan base from losing their minds over the lengthy rebuild that was bound to happen after Ken Holland destroyed the team.

2. Keep the players from falling into a losing mentality where they just phone it in every night.

The end game is still building through the draft. That takes years.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
No. Lindstrom was set to sign in Sweden before that charity contract he was given this off-season. The guy is a waste of a 2nd round pick. He’s closer to being a team’s #9 defenseman than a #5. And if he’s your #5 that means you have Robert Hagg or worse as your #6.
so retain and take on a contract. got it :D

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

How is it terrible to go from Hoffman and Pitlick to a 2nd, 4th, Lindstrom, DeSmith and use some cap space to do it?

Think about where we started. Hoffman would have cost us an asset to move him (like the Bailey trade... cost the Islanders a 2nd). Habs did OK on this.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
importantly to yzerplan is that petry is another building block for the room and team culture , fits right in with the michigan leadership group of larkin-copp-compher-debrincat . yzerman is very focused on establishing his chosen culture , its why he quickly ejected vrana into the sun once he started his iffy routine . this even brings dad petry on board to help redwing popularity amongst the masses . and with a bunch of d prospects coming along petrys there for 2 seasons to help mentor as yzerman wisely eases the young guys onto the redwing roster instead of rushing them up , the 'bc sage' knows what hes doing

*edit - bc as in where yzerman was born , sage as in wiseman

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Petry is an experienced veteran who'll contribute some offense with solid WAR stats that thanks to retention is inexpensive. He will not be flipped at the TDL. He will help mentor Detroit's up and coming dmen.

Montreal gained a draft pick asset, a warm body depth dman and most importantly.. Respect...that will go a long way with players in the future choosing to sign or be traded to Montreal.

That's it..

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Hoffman couldn't get anything of value in return when he was productive. Getting rid of his 4.5M definitely worth something.

Personally hate the Petry for 4th deal for Montreal but if he really didn't want to play here I guess the Habs hands were tied in where to send him.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Am i right to think Lindstrom has 5-7 D potential? That plus a 4th seems low for Petry retained (i wasnt on the 1st bandwagon, but a 2nd rounder seemed reasonable to me), but Hoffman is gone so ok.. mission accomplished then.

Someone said this jokingly, but I think the way hughes handled this thing WILL get noticed by players. The Petry thing and the way it ended made MB look bad, and Hughes fixed it.

Now get me rid of Armia and figure out that goalie situation.
Limdstrom probably has 5-7 D potential on the Habs but thats a pretty weak defense.

This whole narrative that Hughes is just a nice guy doing nice guy things is just over the top. It’s basically calling him stupid. This is just the transaction. To think Hughes didn’t know what the result of taking on Petry was before acquiring him and then just because of his good heart he gave Petry what he wanted when he could have done better is so stupid.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

Hughes is just a nice guy doing nice guy things. Just look at what a nice guy he was to the Avs on the Newhook trade.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
so retain and take on a contract. got it :D

Pretty much. I get Montreal wanting to take a flyer on a youngish player, but Gustav has shown no offense at any level and his defense isn’t all that great. The good news is he’s easily waived and his contract is only one year.

Reactions: Gaud

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Limdstrom probably has 5-7 D potential on the Habs but thats a pretty weak defense.

This whole narrative that Hughes is just a nice guy doing nice guy things is just over the top. It’s basically calling him stupid. This is just the transaction. To think Hughes didn’t know what the result of taking on Petry was before acquiring him and then just because of his good heart he gave Petry what he wanted when he could have done better is so stupid.
I wouldnt say thats the narrative i see; im pretty sure Hughes' priority is the team first. In this case it looked to me like he just wanted to clear roster spots and didnt want to drag the Petry thing on. What i was getting at is that the player's wishes were part of the consideration, which I think is something a player looking in would notice and may change their perception of Montreal as something a little more positive as a result.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wasn't Lidstrom a 2nd round pick that is now NHL ready ?
I mean, people are funny...

Hugues said he has still untapped potential, probably at 70% of what he is projected to become according to his scouts. That's not bad. Will provide depth on the right side for the third pair, and some options down the road... All that, while being exactly in the same age group.

Also, 85% of habs fans were claiming he would bring back something around a 2nd, What is this nonsense about habs fans thinking he would bring a 1st ?!
Lindstrom is waiver fodder. Nowhere close to worth a 2nd round pick lol. He was pretty awful last year.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Glad Petry not starting the year with us I knew we would deal him , return is the definition of Meh but i wasn't expecting anything crazy either
yeah I’m sure had we dealt him at the deadline the return would have been significantly better, but that was never going to happen. Just glad we got rid of Hoffman, everything else is just a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Fans write Lindstrom off, it's so easy, yet the guy was a very high 2nd round pick stuck in the depth chart, and Montréal's insiders are even saying he'll play on the top 4 this year. I'm not so sure the Habs lost that trade, it feels like you all need your ennemy to be a loser to feel confident.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Fans write Lindstrom off, it's so easy, yet the guy was a very high 2nd round pick stuck in the depth chart, and Montréal's insiders are even saying he'll play on the top 4 this year. I'm not so sure the Habs lost that trade, it feels like you all need your ennemy to be a loser to feel confident.
“Stuck in the depth chart” on one of the most embarrassing teams in the league currently is not the flex you’re making it out to be.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
“Stuck in the depth chart” on one of the most embarrassing teams in the league currently is not the flex you’re making it out to be.

Seider isn't embarrassing! Grant McCagg also mentionned the name of another dman ahead of Lindstrom. He's the guy who said he'll play in the top 4, he used to be a pro-scout. He said Lindstrom has to beat out Kovacevic and it shouldn't be that hard.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

How was he stuck in the depth chart? Behind who? Nemeth? Cholo? Bowey? Oesterle? A cooked DeKeyser? Hägg? If he can't beat out those guys for a roster spot he wasn't "stuck behind" it was because he wasn't good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I wouldnt say thats the narrative i see; im pretty sure Hughes' priority is the team first. In this case it looked to me like he just wanted to clear roster spots and didnt want to drag the Petry thing on. What i was getting at is that the player's wishes were part of the consideration, which I think is something a player looking in would notice and may change their perception of Montreal as something a little more positive as a result.
The only people who thought there was any value to Petry on a trade market were some delusional, vocal Habs fans. They were told by just about everyone they were out to lunch. There were a decent amount of Habs fans who saw the writing on the wall but they get drown out by the loonies. Yzerman knew the Value, Hughes knew the value and obviously Dubas knew because otherwise he just would have traded him for value himself. Petry was never going to set foot in Montreal as a Hab. It was never going to drag on. There was never going to be more value.

Reasonable Habs fans have posted their approval of dumping the salary and getting a couple picks back in total of the two Petry transactions. That was the deal.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
How was he stuck in the depth chart? Behind who? Nemeth? Cholo? Bowey? Oesterle? A cooked DeKeyser? Hägg? If he can't beat out those guys for a roster spot he wasn't "stuck behind" it was because he wasn't good enough.

You're citing LDs in your list, Lindstrom is a RD. anyhow I'm not a Red Wings fan, I'm just repeating what an insider said. It wouldn't be the first time a prospect booms somewhere else, it's not impossible. I have a good feeling about this. And as TS Quint just said, we shouldn't expect a high return for Petry. I just think Lindstrom is worth the gamble and from the outside it looks like he might pan out, especially with the lack of RD on the roster and Barron and Mailloux probably heading to Laval, he'll have the chance to log significant minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad