Proposal: Det-Cgy

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Wings don't want players, we already have too many on the roster and need to cut the forwards by 3.

I'll give you guys 22 for a 7th rounder.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wings don't want players, we already have too many on the roster and need to cut the forwards by 3.

I'll give you guys 22 for a 7th rounder.

You didn't read my second post. Wings are acquiring Jackman to simply waive him. By doing so we shed 1.9M from trading Tootoo and 612k from waiving Jackman for a total of 2.5M in cap relief thus making us cap compliant. It's not necessary that we get Jackman in return as we have other options to get under the cap but it's more palatable for Calgary since they will be off the hook for Jackman's salary.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not saying Tootoo isn't better than Jackman, but Tim isn't even a regular in our lineup. Why would we acquire him to bump a younger player, with a lower cap hit, who needs minutes to develop for the sake of getting a 4th? Makes little sense to me.

If we needed a 4th line player I'd do this, but I see no reason why the owners would waste their money here when we can easily fill that spot from within. We do not need Tootoo at all, we don't need Jackman either for that matter.

If it was a 2nd I'd do this, there's no incentive here.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not saying Tootoo isn't better than Jackman, but Tim isn't even a regular in our lineup. Why would we acquire him to bump a younger player, with a lower cap hit, who needs minutes to develop for the sake of getting a 4th? Makes little sense to me.

If we needed a 4th line player I'd do this, but I see no reason why the owners would waste their money here when we can easily fill that spot from within. We do not need Tootoo at all, we don't need Jackman either for that matter.

Pretty much this.

drw2, it's not by any means a personal attack on you that some posters don't believe this benefits our team. It is not simply a result of not reading your posts. The fact is, we are a rebuilding team with too many veterans and very few spots for young players in our lineup. The trade you propose involves taking a player who would be in the press-box if not in the AHL or waivers, and replacing him with a guy we would be compelled to put in our NHL lineup. It doesn't make sense for us to do this as even if he helps us win now, he won't help us win when we are a good hockey team again.

I get that you're throwing in a fourth round pick to massage this into a good deal for us, but I think a little more incentive is required. As another poster mentioned, this trade would basically be our ownership spending $1M (or more) for a 4th round pick.

So the guy below you says the 4th line is reserved for energy guys and you say it should be used to acclimate the young guys if you happen to suffer a couple injuries in the bottom 6. :help:

For us, the two are not mutually exclusive. We have Bouma, Ferland, Knight, Galiardi, and more guys who would be negatively effected by this move.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No thanks. The Flames already have too many bodies in the way of prospects actually getting a legitimate chance to play in the NHL. At this point, I'd much rather the Flames just waive Jackman with the hope someone else claims him so a roster spot can be freed up.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Forget Jackman, the question is is he better than McGrattan?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No thanks. The Flames already have too many bodies in the way of prospects actually getting a legitimate chance to play in the NHL. At this point, I'd much rather the Flames just waive Jackman with the hope someone else claims him so a roster spot can be freed up.

That is the ideal scenario. It's a little sad, because Tim Jackman earned a lot of respect for his gutsy play over a couple of seasons, but now it seems that he's really lost a lot of jump most games. Honestly, I wonder if he's in great health these days and not suffering from the typical enforcer maladies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Forget Jackman, the question is is he better than McGrattan?

Very debatable, when I consider the way McGrattan played last year and the fact that the guy really, really, really loves to play for this team and puts his best effort on the ice every game.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Well at least I've done well in separating the Flames fanbase into those who wouldn't mind Tootoo and those who want nothing to do with him. :handclap: Looks about 50/50 to me. :D

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
A 4th for a cap dump, eh?

Well I'm not sure why the Flames would help the Wings out for a 2yr cap dump when this team is our competitor? I'd sooner just trade Jackman to a team that wants him for a 7th or better.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

Well I'm not sure why the Flames would help the Wings out for a 2yr cap dump when this team is our competitor? I'd sooner just trade Jackman to a team that wants him for a 7th or better.

Not really. Detroit isn't in our division and isn't a team we need to beat out for a playoff spot.

Jackman sucks, so why not.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Well Wings are in the east now but I suppose every team in the league is competing with one another.

Doubt you'll get any takers for Jackman unless you are taking on some salary or throwing in something else.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well Wings are in the east now but I suppose every team in the league is competing with one another.

Doubt you'll get any takers for Jackman unless you are taking on some salary or throwing in something else.

Jackman garners interest on deadline day it seems. He makes a team tougher and he's a solid 4th liner. But he doesn't drop the gloves anymore and could use a change of scenery

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Pretty much this.

drw2, it's not by any means a personal attack on you that some posters don't believe this benefits our team. It is not simply a result of not reading your posts. The fact is, we are a rebuilding team with too many veterans and very few spots for young players in our lineup. The trade you propose involves taking a player who would be in the press-box if not in the AHL or waivers, and replacing him with a guy we would be compelled to put in our NHL lineup. It doesn't make sense for us to do this as even if he helps us win now, he won't help us win when we are a good hockey team again.

I get that you're throwing in a fourth round pick to massage this into a good deal for us, but I think a little more incentive is required. As another poster mentioned, this trade would basically be our ownership spending $1M (or more) for a 4th round pick.

You're not just paying 1M for a 4th, you're also getting an upgrade to your bottom 6, IMO at least. But I understand you would rather give those minutes to the young guys.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I don't really understand the great opposition to this deal. I'd do it in a second. Tootoo is better than Jackman at everything and if one of our prospects earn a spot he'll be bumped into the pressbox whilst we've still gained a 4th rounder which could turn into something nice.

That said, I'd try to get Holland to send us Tatar instead. He obviously doesn't need him, considering the Cleary resigning yesterday. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd do this deal to as a fan, but that's not how things work. He's basically being paid 4 million over the next 2 years. Our ownership doesn't operate that way and they would never sign off on this deal. 2 million a season for a 4th liner is not good value to start, and it's horrible value for a potential pressbox or waiver guy.

Tootoo is an upgrade, but a 4th round pick isn't enough to make our ownership take that contract. We're basically investing 4 million dollars on a player we haven't drafted yet, and likely has a 40% chance of ever playing in the NHL. We are also spending unnecessary cap money when that position can EASILY be filled from within. Nothing against Jordan, but this deal makes no sense.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
That said, I'd try to get Holland to send us Tatar instead. He obviously doesn't need him, considering the Cleary resigning yesterday. :laugh:

hahaha no chance. I would punch Holland in the face if he traded Tatar. :loony:

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
hahaha no chance. I would punch Holland in the face if he traded Tatar. :loony:
It was primarily intended as a joke, but KH put himself in a very tight spot with some of his signings this off season. I just don't understand why you'd be so terrified of giving the AHL playoff MVP some roster space to do offensive damage. It'd be the perfect situation this year for Tatar. I'd be pretty mad if I was a Wings fan right now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think a 3rd is fair. Tootoo is a prefect 4th liner/13th man and his extra cap hit might actually help us next year.

My point is though Detroit is in a hard spot, why should we do them a favor? They can easily reacquire a 3rd in another deal. If you do not properly manage your cap, another should not make it easy to help them out. Tootoo is a better player than Jackman, we in theory should be adding the 4th. Because they are in cap trouble, I would make them pay a 2nd or no deal especially being that we do not need him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad