Confirmed Trade: [DET/CAR] Alex Nedeljkovic for Jonathan Bernier and 2021 3rd (VGK)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We had Mrazek for 3 years. How long does he have to play well for you NOT to consider it a hot streak?

And when he was with you, he'd have strings of being a brick wall and times where he couldn't stop anything. Why is it so triggering to you that I'm calling a spade a spade with Mrazek. He has strings of games where he is really good. And then he follows them up with really bad hockey. When you're inconsistent in net, it means you're not very good.

Or do you forget the series against the Islanders when he was a brick wall for you with a .976 and then followed it up with a .808 the very next round?

If Mrazek had any consistency at all with being that goalie he is at the top of his game, he'd still be in Detroit or he'd still be in Carolina.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We had Mrazek for 3 years. How long does he have to play well for you NOT to consider it a hot streak?

If he isn't a streaky goalie, why not keep him then? Mrazek when on is very good, problem with him has always been, when off, he looks like an AHL goalie and he is off more than he is on. Even in your most recent playoff run, he had a couple stellar games, but he also had a couple of stinkers in there. If he was consistent, the Wings would never have traded him, and I doubt Carolina would have gone another direction either.

VoodooChile

Jul 23, 2009
Teams don't trade away good, young players for pennies on the dollar as a favor. You do that with guys who have disappointed and are approaching bust status as a change of scenery, last chance at an NHL career kind of favor.

I agree they shouldn’t. But I guess the Hurricanes felt different. Does make the team appear better to future free agents… but it’s still a baffling decision.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Nedeljkovic had played 16 games for the Wings and has somewhat average numbers, and yet it's been determined that the Canes have somehow already been fleeced?

Goalies are weird, they can look like Vezina winners one season and AHLers the next. Ned needs at least a couple of full seasons as a starter with solid play before you can determine if this was some big mistake be the Canes.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Or do you forget the series against the Islanders when he was a brick wall for you ...

do you forget loller - he played just under a game and a half before being injured in that series. but, yes, he was a brick wall in game one and was doing fine in game 2.

then he played only 2 games against boston, and yeah, they kicked the shit out of the canes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Nedeljkovic had played 16 games for the Wings and has somewhat average numbers, and yet it's been determined that the Canes have somehow already been fleeced?

Goalies are weird, they can look like Vezina winners one season and AHLers the next. Ned needs at least a couple of full seasons as a starter with solid play before you can determine if this was some big mistake be the Canes.

No Wings fan is saying it was a big mistake for you. Just that we got a really good goalie from it. We got a goalie we're really happy with for a 3rd round pick and that it seemed premature for you to deal a guy for that kind of return after 29 games of .928 sv% goaltending.

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
No Wings fan is saying it was a big mistake for you. Just that we got a really good goalie from it. We got a goalie we're really happy with for a 3rd round pick and that it seemed premature for you to deal a guy for that kind of return after 29 games of .928 sv% goaltending.

There is a wings fan just one page back saying this is a confirmed fleecing, and we have wings fan coming over to our board to gloat about the trade.

It's been well documented in this thread on the reasoning behind why Carolina traded Ned. It may very well become a stupid trade for Carolina, it's just way too early to call.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There is a wings fan just one page back saying this is a confirmed fleecing, and we have wings fan coming over to our board to gloat about the trade.

It's been well documented in this thread on the reasoning behind why Carolina traded Ned. It may very well become a stupid trade for Carolina, it's just way too early to call.
I mean, you call his numbers pedestrian or whatever but if you take out his first game where we played Tampa and the team allowed 48 shots and he allowed 7 goals he's right there with Freddy Anderson at .928 with the Canes D in front of him.
upload_2021-12-5_11-58-16-png.487536

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Wings fans coming to your board to gloat are f***ing idiots.

It’s as simple as this. We are happy with getting Nedeljkovic and if he just keeps putting up the numbers he is (.920 sv% isn’t pedestrian by the way), a third is quite literally a steal of a deal.

If you wanted a more proven goalie because you think you’re competitive ready right now and don’t want to trust an unproven guy, I get it.

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I mean, you call his numbers pedestrian or whatever but if you take out his first game where we played Tampa and the team allowed 48 shots and he allowed 7 goals he's right there with Freddy Anderson at .928 with the Canes D in front of him.
upload_2021-12-5_11-58-16-png.487536

If you cherry pick and remove Andersons last game where he played in front of mostly AHL quality defense due to COVID protocol, his SV% going to be higher as well...

Wings fans coming to your board to gloat are f***ing idiots.

It’s as simple as this. We are happy with getting Nedeljkovic and if he just keeps putting up the numbers he is (.920 sv% isn’t pedestrian by the way), a third is quite literally a steal of a deal.

If you wanted a more proven goalie because you think you’re competitive ready right now and don’t want to trust an unproven guy, I get it.

I said somewhat average numbers, maybe I should have said slightly above average. He is #10 in GAA and #9 in SV% out of 21 goaltenders with 15+ starts.

I agree, you should be happy with Ned and his play thus far, for a third, there was literally no downside to that deal. It may very well end up looking bad for us, but like our front office I'm still not completely sold on his ability to put up consistently good numbers.

I wish him well, and will root for him to have a successful career, even if it does indeed make our front office look silly.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Everyone keeps getting caught up with the third. If someone was willing to offer more than that they didn’t step up and do it. The Canes had to get it done before arbitration. Yzerman didn’t fleece the Canes, he was the highest bidder. The rest of the league didn’t step up for more than a third.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you cherry pick and remove Andersons last game where he played in front of mostly AHL quality defense due to COVID protocol, his SV% going to be higher as well...

I said somewhat average numbers, maybe I should have said slightly above average. He is #10 in GAA and #9 in SV% out of 21 goaltenders with 15+ starts.

I agree, you should be happy with Ned and his play thus far, for a third, there was literally no downside to that deal. It may very well end up looking bad for us, but like our front office I'm still not completely sold on his ability to put up consistently good numbers.

I wish him well, and will root for him to have a successful career, even if it does indeed make our front office look silly.
I understand where you're coming from with cherry picking stats, but it was his debut in a game against a top team in the league facing more shots than he's ever faced in his life in the NHL. He started on a rock bottom level in regards to SV% and GAA after his first game and has played consistently and very well ever since that game. We have a good chance to win the games he starts.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

.920 SV% playing for Detroit being, "Average", is quite the take.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It was a fleecing. If you can get a young top starting goalie in the league for a 3rd rounder, that's a fleecing. Canes should of gotten something like a late 1st and a 3rd.

Did they not have other dance partners, or did Canes not offer him up to the world? This trade came out of the left field much like when Yzerman's fleeced Blues for Fabbri for De La Rose. It made sense how Detroit fleeced Blues since Fabbri did have a short history of injury.

DRWs laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It was a fleecing. If you can get a young top starting goalie in the league for a 3rd rounder, that's a fleecing. Canes should of gotten something like a late 1st and a 3rd.

Did they not have other dance partners, or did Canes not offer him up to the world? This trade came out of the left field much like when Yzerman's fleeced Blues for Fabbri for De La Rose. It made sense how Detroit fleeced Blues since Fabbri did have a short history of injury.

DRWs laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

If they could have gotten a first and a third don’t you think they would have? :laugh:

All well and good to sit behind your keyboard and say what they should have done but the reality of what happened shows there wasn’t much of a market.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Seems to me like Carolina did Ned a freakin SOLID by trading him to the only team in Michigan where his partner and dog lived.

lol. That's one way to justify the trade. Your GM didn't get fleeced, he was just doing his player "a solid".

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If they could have gotten a first and a third don’t you think they would have? :laugh:

All well and good to sit behind your keyboard and say what they should have done but the reality of what happened shows there wasn’t much of a market.

Sure! I remember that Martin Erat for Philip Forsberg trade because nobody wanted Forsberg and that's the utmost Washington Capitals could ever get for that Forsberg bum. On HFboards bad trades never happen because clearly:
"If they could have gotten X don’t you think they would have?"

good to know.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Canes should of gotten something like a late 1st and a 3r

For an arbitration eligible goalie with ~20 game sample size of steady NHL play? No way.

Not saying this to bash Ned, hope he does well, but young goalies burst onto the scene red hot and then cool into obsolescence all the time. Hammond, Raycroft, Carey, Darling off the top of my head.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it's hard to call something a fleecing in my mind if the team he came from put together a better tandem for their particular style. i'm happy that ned has been able to carry over some of his success from last season. he seems like a good guy. i wouldn't take him back in a deal with raanta or andersen. there's a reason why the price was as low as it was. that was the best offer out there. teams are more frequently paying 2 guys $3-5 million each these days and if your ask is over those numbers, you usually get paid in term. i think there were simply other guys we preferred to pay with less question marks. yzerman made a great move not bidding against himself to only give up what he did, but it's probably a situation where the other option was letting him walk. in a world where i knew i would be payiing raanta a million less for two seasons, i walk away from ned as well. a team approaching their window prefers more predictability.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

‘It’s determined we’ve been fleeced’ when you read one poster say it? Man the victim complex is strong in you. You can find any opinion you’re looking for on here. Stop fishing for those to be outraged about.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
‘It’s determined we’ve been fleeced’ when you read one poster say it? Man the victim complex is strong in you. You can find any opinion you’re looking for on here. Stop fishing for those to be outraged about.
Lol we’ve been hearing plenty about this trade from Detroit fans. It’s hardly been one poster.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Numbers aren't always telling of play especially for goalies though. I don't agree with the fleecing business, but Ned has had to make a lot of big saves from lackluster defensive issues by our team. Our best defender is a rookie and the rest all make a lot of mistakes in our zone.

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

Yeah, I'm so outraged!!!!!

That was just one example, there are plenty of others in here, and seems to be the general tone. Why was this thread even started? I think it was just another Wings fan wanting to gloat.

But I realize it's pretty much the only reason these old trade threads are bumped. Someone wants to claim the victor. Our fans will do the same. There is no victim complex.

It's funny, the KK offer sheet thread was pretty active when he was struggling at wing, but once he moved to center and starting producing and playing well, just radio silence.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Canes had to make a decision whether or not Ned was going to their guy moving forward. The money he was going to make in arbitration or in a multi year deal was going to be too much for a back-up or 2nd tandem role.

Canes org decided that the best chance to win would be a more veteran combo with a more calm style of goaltending. Both Ned and Mrazek were two peas in a pod with their style of play. Smaller, aggressive and predicated on instinct and athleticism rather than technique and playing the percentages. When they were on they could make miraculous saves and look unbeatable for stretches but soft goals and being exposed due to style of play were always inevitable to pop up.

If the Canes could have kept Ned for cheap for another year to really see how he could play in their system then we would have but a decision needed to be made one way or the other and the Canes went in the opposite direction.

All us Canes fans really liked Ned and are glad to see him doing well in Detroit. That's the right situation for him and the team is at the right arc in their development to be able to give him the reigns. He can continue to improve but if he has some rough stretches it's not a big deal. Carolina didn't have that luxury. For the next two years they had to decide who would give them the better shot at winning... Ned or a goalie like Freddie because they couldn't afford both on a tandem. They chose Freddie and did Ned a solid by moving him to Detroit where he will be happy and there is a need for him.

In no world were we going to get a 1st for Ned given his limited track record. I think a 2nd probably would have been fair but Detroit potentially being a bottom 5 team this year maybe wasn't willing to go that high as that's almost like a late 1st. Yzerman got a good deal but we don't really know what other offers were out there. Maybe Stevie Y does us a solid at the trade deadline or something.

It's not great asset management but Canes didn't really have great options once they decided to move in a different direction for their goaltending. It's kind of like the Adam Fox situation. 2 x 2nds is terrible for a Norris winner but the situation dictated the return. In the end Carolina is happy with their goaltending and so is Detroit so it's win-win, but really more of a WIN - win I guess.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad