Confirmed Trade: [DET/BUF ] Scott Wilson for a 2019 5th round pick

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why Buffalo?

Botterill was the Penguins assistant GM with Wilson, which meant that he was the GM of WBS. He knows Wilson better than anyone.

I had a thought over the offseason that Botterill would be interested in doing Girgensons or Larsson for Wilson, because of the WBS connection and the Penguins needing a center. He managed to get Wilson for even cheaper than that. The Sheahan deal isn't looking very good for the Wings right about now.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I know "Dominos!" is thrown around here quite jokingly for small deals, but with the state of these two teams, could this actually be a domino trade?

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Did not think he was a good fit with Detroit. good luck to him though. Hopefully Holland can make some good moves. key word good

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Sabres traded a nothing draft pick for an NHL depth player with potential, which they are sorely lacking. This is definitely a cheap "stop the bleeding" move.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Botterill was the Penguins assistant GM with Wilson, which meant that he was the GM of WBS. He knows Wilson better than anyone.

I had a thought over the offseason that Botterill would be interested in doing Girgensons or Larsson for Wilson, because of the WBS connection and the Penguins needing a center. He managed to get Wilson for even cheaper than that. The Sheahan deal isn't looking very good for the Wings right about now.

I mean, it's nice to see Sheahan kind of turn the corner in Pittsburgh but the Wings (who are teetering on salary cap hell) got rid of an over $2 million salary and added some picks for a guy not in their plans...not sure what people were expecting them to get out of a Sheahan trade...?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The gif on the Sabres twitter feed is fantastic

giphy.gif

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Didn't a Sabres fan just say 'no more crap forwards'? Crap forwards come on down!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, it's nice to see Sheahan kind of turn the corner in Pittsburgh but the Wings (who are teetering on salary cap hell) got rid of an over $2 million salary and added some picks for a guy not in their plans...not sure what people were expecting them to get out of a Sheahan trade...?

Probably more than a ridiculously late 3rd round pick and cap relief. Wilson and a 3rd for Sheahan wasn't a bad return, but that was because Wilson seemed like he had value in that trade.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Why Buffalo?
If we trade Kane, ROR etc. we need someone to fill in their slots. Rochester has been looking better this year, if I were Botterill I'd want to keep Rochester intact and try to build a better culture from there. Keep the talents away from toxic Buffalo until we buyout guys like Moulson etc.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we trade Kane, ROR etc. we need someone to fill in their slots. Rochester has been looking better this year, if I were Botterill I'd want to keep Rochester intact and try to build a better culture from there. Keep the talents away from toxic Buffalo until we buyout guys like Moulson etc.

For a team that has poor forward depth, getting Wilson for a 5th is a no brainer.

I guess. From the outside looking in it just looks like putting some curtains on a dilapidated home and just skirting around the real issues.

Obviously Evander Kane is a no brainer. They probably did the right thing in waiving Moulson as well. I am curious to see where else Buffalo goes with their moves. I know what its like being stuck as a Toronto fan...don't like to kick a team while it's down either. I really hope things start looking up for Buffalo.

I mean looking in, you have some pieces there, Eichel (although I kind of question where his head is and his maturity should be your 1C for a decade at least), ROR (Selke candidate)...McCabe maybe a 2nd pairing LHD, Risto (1st pairing if he gets a quality defensive guy ala Methot or quality 2nd pairing)...but other things haven't worked. Reinhart doesn't look like he's a 1st line talent, maybe middle 6 or just needs a change of scenery.

Basically just seems like some picks were sent out the door at the wrong time for immediate help, bad signings, bad trades etc. You have the #1C you need, maybe Dahlin falls in your laps...and grab a guy like Halak in UFA this off-season to help until you can find a more permanent solution. It's not a rebuild but maybe a retool and getting different personalities in the dressing room.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad