Islanders Point Blank: Despite strong start, Isles still haven’t played their best

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/despite-strong-start-isles-still-havent-played-their-best/

After a split in their first back-to-back of the season over the weekend, the Islanders are 5-2-1, just three points off the Metropolitan lead with two games in hand. Their 11 points are fifth-best in the East, and they’re one of only six teams in the Conference with a position scoring differential. Still, one could easily argue they haven’t played their best hockey.

It’s a problem that many wouldn’t have complained about even as recently as a season ago. But after a 101 point season, lofty expectations abound, and the measuring stick for success has been raised.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I like the positive articles around this team, but they sure would be more impressive if they weren't authored by some intern on an Isles, 3rd party website.

"The team is a bonafide Stanely Cup contender now."

No, they're not.

And spell the NHL trophy properly you wannabe NYTimes intern.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I like the positive articles around this team, but they sure would be more impressive if they weren't authored by some intern on an Isles, 3rd party website.

No, they're not.

This is more Islanders-fandom. This team hasn't even WON a playoff series. The Isles are a bonafide playoff contender, beyond that, don't think so. Hard fought seven game series you don't win (PIT and WASH) are nice, but don't mean much beyond just qualifying for the playoffs.

How a team goes from losing a 7 game playoff series in the 1st round to SC contender in people's minds is beyond me.

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander
This is more Islanders-fandom. This team hasn't even WON a playoff series. The Isles are a bonafide playoff contender, beyond that, don't think so. Hard fought seven game series you don't win (PIT and WASH) are nice, but don't mean much beyond just qualifying for the playoffs.

How a team goes from losing a 7 game playoff series in the 1st round to SC contender in people's minds is beyond me.

Chicago went from being terrible and missing the playoffs for many years to a western conference final gm 7 loss, and followed the next season with a SC. Core built, young teams take giant leaps all the time.

Will the islanders win the Stanley cup or go to Easter conference finals? No idea playoffs didn't happen yet. Would I consider them a cup contender? A lot needs to be proven. Obviously winning a playoff round helps, but the isles taking a big leap is not out of the relm of possibility

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Chicago went from being terrible and missing the playoffs for many years to a western conference final gm 7 loss, and followed the next season with a SC. Core built, young teams take giant leaps all the time.

Will the islanders win the Stanley cup or go to Easter conference finals? No idea playoffs didn't happen yet. Would I consider them a cup contender? A lot needs to be proven. Obviously winning a playoff round helps, but the isles taking a big leap is not out of the relm of possibility

Them taking a big leaf is very plausible and I hope they do. However, calling them a SC contender now (or preseason) is off base.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I have to agree, but in the same regard, Capuano is still the coach, the line combinations at times make no sense, Pulock is somehow in the minors still, Strait gets ice time....

I fully expect the islanders to be a middle of the pack playoff team ala last season. I do expect them to get past the first round and potentially the second. I do not however, think they are cup contenders and a lot of that falls on Capuano.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
We're currently:

4th PK
6th PP
2nd place

I think Cappy makes some boneheaded decisions at times-but honestly coaching has been just fine this season.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

In my opinion, as soon as the regular season ends and you are in the playoffs, whether it be the last seed or first seed, you are officially a cup contender. Until then I don't play the guessing game.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I have to agree, but in the same regard, Capuano is still the coach, the line combinations at times make no sense, Pulock is somehow in the minors still, Strait gets ice time....

I fully expect the islanders to be a middle of the pack playoff team ala last season. I do expect them to get past the first round and potentially the second. I do not however, think they are cup contenders and a lot of that falls on Capuano.

This, and my new avatar tells everyone what I strongly believe.

I have been calling for his firing for several years, including when they were dominating at the beginning last year and when they collapsed in the second half, and up through now. I do not care what their record is, as long as they have a complete amateur as HC, they will not win the cup, period. :shakehead

That he wants Strait playing instead of Mayfield is complete lunacy; if I saw him in the street I'd ask WTF he is thinking right to his face. Watching strait move towards the puck 2.5 seconds AFTER the other team's player grabs it, or turns it over for the umpteenth time, has frustrated me far too many times.

The Ducks board is panicking and discussing firing boudreau which would be a huge mistake at this time IMO - BUT - if they do can him, then by heaven the Isles should grab him even if we won 5 games in a row 10-0 each. The team has been consistently upgrading parts all over the lineup, now it is time to do the same at HC.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

I have been calling for his firing for several years, including when they were dominating at the beginning last year and when they collapsed in the second half, and up through now. I do not care what their record is, as long as they have a complete amateur as HC, they will not win the cup, period. :shakehead

That he wants Strait playing instead of Mayfield is complete lunacy; if I saw him in the street I'd ask WTF he is thinking right to his face. Watching strait move towards the puck 2.5 seconds AFTER the other team's player grabs it, or turns it over for the umpteenth time, has frustrated me far too many times.

The Ducks board is panicking and discussing firing boudreau which would be a huge mistake at this time IMO - BUT - if they do can him, then by heaven the Isles should grab him even if we won 5 games in a row 10-0 each. The team has been consistently upgrading parts all over the lineup, now it is time to do the same at HC.

If the Islanders are blowing teams out and start the year 11-2-1, it would be very very stupid to fire the coach at that point. Regardless of what fans think, the players have to play under the coach and if the team is rolling, firing the coach in the middle of the season more than likely throws everyone off.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014

No, they're not.

But you also have to remember the folks at IPB use words without really knowing what they mean. In fact, they have literally used words when they mean to use the direct opposite of the word that they did use.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The Isles are playing better as a team but still have those lay-back stretches where they seem to be waiting for someone to pick up the game and turn the momentum back in their favor. Tonight in the 3rd period when Flames was pushing hard to mount a comeback and one of the announcer thought Cappy could use a time out badly, it was their 4th line centre Cizikas took over that role to turn the tide.

I noticed that when the opposition D jump up and bottle up the points to cause turnovers in the Isles zone, they always quickly pass the puck to the other side and this quite often will confuse the Isles D. There must be something that other team sees as a weakness in the way Isles break out from their own zone, because most teams are doing that when they play against the Isles. I think they sense that either some of the Isles D are not putting clean passes on the Isles forwards sticks or either they can easily pick pockets from some of the Isles forwards who are too anxious to leave the D zone too quickly. When the other team is pushing hard, they move up their D up most times to trap the puck in the Isles zone. I think if the coaching staff check the videos, they will see what I see and maybe they can find a way to counter or better yet prevent those moves.

To correct this, Isles D (especially the bottom 3) need to calm down and do their best to move the puck out cleanly, passes should be accurate and not go behind the forwards (like hitting the back of their skates) and avoiding pass to areas that a D forward or opposition D can jump up and intercept easily. The forwards need to look over their shoulders and know where the passes is coming from and pick up the puck before they quickly skate out of their zone. They cannot leave unless they are sure that they have the puck on their stick cleanly, instead in their feet. Remember that let your eyes guide your passes and movements, your feet and hands protecting the pucks and you can do this if you can relax and focus. If you can do this well in practice, you should be able to execute it in games.

There are some outstanding work ethics so far in particular from forwards Kuleman, Grabovski, Bailey, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, and KO. JT, Nelson, Nielsen and Lee has also good games but could be better. Boychuck has been great as usual. Hammer and Leddy has been fine but I expect more from them. I do feel that Strome, Martin and CDH have more in the tank and can step up their games. Strait has his limitation but is working hard when he is in the line-up and Zidlicky has been quite inconsistent but has helped on the PP when he is in the line-up. The G has been so far solid and come up big when it is needed. the team discipline has been incredibly good and this is an area they must continue.

I am very impressed that the special teams (especially the PK) and the face-off has improved so much this year. Do not let up the hard work.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
But you also have to remember the folks at IPB use words without really knowing what they mean. In fact, they have literally used words when they mean to use the direct opposite of the word that they did use.

Bizarro World! yes! Thanks -- makes a lot more sense now!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't mind the team not playing their best hockey in the beginning of the season (even though you would know that from my posts). I feel like last season we primed too early, this is a marathon. not a sprint.

Keep winning games even if you are not playing your best hockey and I think they'll put themselves in good position for the playoffs.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

After breaking a 100+ point season, I don't think any team (NHL) in history has fired their coach.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Not to high jack this thread but,

Question;
Is this a similar situation to what was happening to the Rangers around '92-'93 with Roger Neilson (RIP) as coach and the would go into a Defensive shell after getting the Lead which Infuriated one Captain Mark Messier? Neilson is light years better than Fred will ever be, But a Real Coach who would preach continually fore-checking Especially with the Lead would be a welcome addition. Also bearing in mind that team also make those blockbuster trades bringing in Larmer, Matteau, Noonan made the difference. They were a different team under Keenan Before those Vet's came in. And went on a run once that team was set.
Would A Coach Like A Mike Keenan Dramatically Improve Us?

Also I mean A Competent, Experienced Coach, not necessarily a Strict Disciplinarian like Kennan was...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Hahaha! Let's toss out Capuano for Boudreau - a guy that has won zero SC's and his teams constantly fail in the playoffs. Greaaaaaaaaat move.

Capuano gets this season to get the Isles into the 2nd round at a MINIMUM. He's the development coach - the Isles have a playoff contending team that HE has coached (fair or not in the fans eyes) from a lottery team to 2 playoff berths in 3 years and should achieve one this year (so, that's 3 of 4 years). Now, HE and the PLAYERS need to LEARN to WIN in the playoffs.

For all the Capuano haters here is your scenario:
A. Miss the playoffs = Fired.
B. Lose in First Round = Probably Fired.
C. Lose in 2nd Round = Jack for 2016/2017.
D. Lose in 3rd Round and After = Jack for 2016/2017.

So, what exactly do the Capuano haters want to see? We already KNOW a lot wanted the CLB scenario just to get him...that looks like a wonderful one.

I'll take C or D, before A or B just to fire the coach. B opens up the very fair argument that he doesn't know how to win in the playoffs since it's been 3 first round exits. However, I'll pass on that scenario just to can the guy. I want the FRANCHISE to WIN. Absent some major skid or player uprising or lack of faith by the GM/owner, he's sticking around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad