Desharnais vs. Gallagher

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Debate I had with co-workers today:

How would you explain that Gallagher was drafted in 5th round and Desharnais was not drafted at all (1 echl invite only).

Is it just because of the 2 inch (10 pounds) difference?
NHL teams were more afraid of small player back then (4 years before)?
Gallagher is more tough/arrogant player?
WHL is a better league and the amount of points by Gallagher are more impressive?
Gallagher played with team canada?
Gallagher is just a better all arround player?
Desharnais is slow?

If we look at the stats they each had 4 junior years.

Desharnais
70 GP = 23 G 28 A 51 PTS
68 GP = 32 G 65 A 97 PTS
63 GP = 33 G 85 A 118 PTS
61 GP = 38 G 70 A 108 PTS

Gallagher
52 GP = 10 G 21 A 31 PTS
72 GP = 41 G 40 A 81 PTS
66 GP = 44 G 47 A 91 PTS
54 GP = 41 G 36 A 77 PTS

Even with a 106 pts season in the ECHL Desharnais only got an invite for Hamilton... and Gallagher had more injuries.

Just wondering...

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Due to DD’s birth date (Sept. 14th), the first draft he was eligible for was 2004. That was after his first season, where he scored 51 points (4th on his team). I think everyone would recognize that really wasn’t a high enough point total to get noticed when you’re 5’7”. Gallegher’s draft year was (obviously) 2010, and he did end up 7 in goals in the WHL, which is pretty good (and actually, the highest for any draft eligible player in the WHL that year).

In addition to that, 2004 was still during the clutch and grab era of the NHL, where generally speaking, teams shied away from players of DD’s stature. An argument could certainly be made that someone should have taken a flyer on him in his 2nd draft, after scoring 97 points, but even then, the NHL hadn’t experienced a season if the new rules, so size was still viewed as more important than it would be today.

Obviously DD has proven that all the teams made a mistake passing up on him, but it’s not surprising that they did.

Finally, there is a stigma of smaller players being successful in the QMJHL, and it not transitioning over to pro leagues. Similar stigma’s exist for all Junior leagues, but I’d definatley say it’s worse for the Q over the other 2 leagues.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
The draft is crap shoot in general. You are projecting kids. Sometimes your wrong sometimes right. It only takes one scout to like Gallagher, thats it and he be drafter higher than Desharnais.

I think one thing Gallagher had was his father as well. Ian Gallagher is a pretty known strength and conditioning coach out West here. He works for the WHL Giants. There is a bit of genetics and think Montreal not only saw his skills but the fact as an undersized player, his father could have a great impact on how physically mature he was and how ready could be for the NHL. His father has probably been preaching to him for years what it takes to make it.

Geester76

Mar 16, 2007
Desharnais is a small playmaking center it was general consensus in the league that this kind of player are at best career AHLers because they must play on the top 2 lines to be effective and they don't produce much in goals (obviously you don't want a gnome on the checking line and for some teams no dwarf at all) .Desharnais prove everybody wrong and made his way to Montreal top line.

Gallagher has the profile of the small goal scorer . Martin St-Louis opened the way for those type of players when he won the Maurice Richard Trophy. I think that is why Habs pick Gallagher at the NHL draft

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Like someone mention earlier, I think just the fact that the type of player he was it didn't project well at the NHL level especial during the clutch and grab era.

Desharnais, very small/slow/play maker, even if he had good stat is linemate had even better stats. the WHL isn't necessairely a better league but the Q is more offensive less physical so stat aren't as impressive.

Gallagher is under size but fast and a goal scorer in the WHL which is more Physical and defensive, so being able to score mean that he was able to overcome the size issue.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
His draft was in the "clutch and grab" era. Gallagher would have had a tough time getting drafted then too.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Desharnais has already put some good numbers in the big league so he's got the upper hand here. There's too many factors in hockey to just relate on a player's pts chart in the juniors to make proper judgement. Although Gallagher may very well come up with better numbers in the future he's up against a 60pts season in a 15th place team.

We can't have him now with Gomez, Desharnais, Gionta and Bouillon on the roster we would probably make a case for being the shortest professional hockey team in recent history

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Desharnais has already put some good numbers in the big league so he's got the upper hand here. There's too many factors in hockey to just relate on a player's pts chart in the juniors to make proper judgement. Although Gallagher may very well come up with better numbers in the future he's up against a 60pts season in a 15th place team.

We can't have him now with Gomez, Desharnais, Gionta and Bouillon on the roster we would probably make a case for being the shortest professional hockey team in recent history

Gomez is 5'11 if I recall not exactly a midget....

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Desharnais is a small playmaking center it was general consensus in the league that this kind of player are at best career AHLers because they must play on the top 2 lines to be effective and they don't produce much in goals (obviously you don't want a gnome on the checking line and for some teams no dwarf at all) .Desharnais prove everybody wrong and made his way to Montreal top line.

Gallagher has the profile of the small goal scorer . Martin St-Louis opened the way for those type of players when he won the Maurice Richard Trophy. I think that is why Habs pick Gallagher at the NHL draft

Geester, ever notice your avatar looks like Dumont?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

I would say out of those 4 Desharnais will be the only one left after next season.

Geester76

Mar 16, 2007
Geester, ever notice your avatar looks like Dumont?

:laugh: Gee I never noticed it. Thanks a lot cphabs. :yo: It maybe because I put that avatar 2 days ago but true enough. Dumont has been doing a lot of :naughty: to Habs management and I mean like Wolowitz what does this guy can't do other than score on a hot chick. Hopefully it will all change if he reach the new rocket status in the NHL I think he will find his Bernadette.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
You don't see too many small guys make it in this league without blazing wheels.

I think Gallagher has a bit more speed, and acceleration than Desharnais. That could be another factor.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Debate I had with co-workers today:

How would you explain that Gallagher was drafted in 5th round and Desharnais was not drafted at all (1 echl invite only).

Is it just because of the 2 inch (10 pounds) difference?
NHL teams were more afraid of small player back then (4 years before)?
Gallagher is more tough/arrogant player?
WHL is a better league and the amount of points by Gallagher are more impressive?
Gallagher played with team canada?
Gallagher is just a better all arround player?
Desharnais is slow?

If we look at the stats they each had 4 junior years.

Desharnais
70 GP = 23 G 28 A 51 PTS
68 GP = 32 G 65 A 97 PTS
63 GP = 33 G 85 A 118 PTS
61 GP = 38 G 70 A 108 PTS

Gallagher
52 GP = 10 G 21 A 31 PTS
72 GP = 41 G 40 A 81 PTS
66 GP = 44 G 47 A 91 PTS
54 GP = 41 G 36 A 77 PTS

Even with a 106 pts season in the ECHL Desharnais only got an invite for Hamilton... and Gallagher had more injuries.

Just wondering...

Reason 1: Desharnais played on the QMJHL while Gallagher on a tougher WHL

Also, I don't think that Gallagher was really more injured.

Don't forget that Gallagher miss some games last year for the WJC and also because he was attending habs training camp. also two year ago, he got an invite for wjc camp..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Just wondering...

Desharnais was signed to an AHL contract after his overage season in the Q due to Carbo pushing for the Habs to invite him to the development camp. He went on to rip the ECHL apart and after that season he got his NHL contract about a month into the following season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
His draft was in the "clutch and grab" era. Gallagher would have had a tough time getting drafted then too.

Gallagher was going in the heavy traffic area as a junior though and is much stronger physically (thanks Ian), so he might have been a 9th round pick or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad