Confirmed with Link: Deryk Engelland - 3 year deal worth $2.9M AAV

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I've learned to just live with the contract since we will most likely be contending for a playoff spot right after his 3 year contract and the cap space to do this move. I don't think we'd extend him unless he blows our socks off.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've learned to just live with the contract since we will most likely be contending for a playoff spot right after his 3 year contract and the cap space to do this move. I don't think we'd extend him unless he blows our socks off.

He'll be 35; unless he totally impresses us as the be-all-end-all bottom pairing Dman in the entire NHL; I don't see a reason to keep him around.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
I don't know much about this guy so its a wait and see scenario for me.

This was my initial thought on the signing. Since Gio has gone down I think this has been a great signing for us. Was interesting reading eveyone's thoughts when this happened.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

... Or in the 2nd round of the playoffs this year :laugh:. And without Giordano.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Always thought it was an ok deal. Defense, Right wing if needed, Sandpaper/enforcer... that's how I saw it at the time and he could averagely slot in all of those roles if needed. But wow... he's made his salary and more so far in the last few months IMO.

His scoring vs... was it the Stars and getting us the two points? and him eating up minutes after Gio went down.

He's proven me wrong.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Always thought it was an ok deal. Defense, Right wing if needed, Sandpaper/enforcer... that's how I saw it at the time and he could averagely slot in all of those roles if needed. But wow... he's made his salary and more so far in the last few months IMO.

His scoring vs... was it the Stars and getting us the two points? and him eating up minutes after Gio went down.

He's proven me wrong.

He scored twice against Dallas but we lost in the shootout that game IIRC. Still, he's been really good.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He scored twice against Dallas but we lost in the shootout that game IIRC. Still, he's been really good.

Ah, my mistake then. But that one point was still huge. :)

Aug 3, 2010
Unless the man scores the Cup-winning goal, one season does not a multi-year contract make.

I'll admit that he's surprised me and that he's definitely playing much better than I could have imagined. There's still 2 years to go on his contract which carries a 2.9m cap hit, which is a standard top-4 defenceman's salary. I do hope he can continue to provide that level of play.

I still don't like how much the Flames paid for him, UFA dollars or not. His previous contract with the Penguins only carried something like a 600k cap hit. Calgary should have been able to sign him for much less, something in the range of 1.5m.

Either way, I'd rather be complaining about only his contract as opposed to his contract AND his level of play.

And more than anything, I'm thankful that Hartley is an absolute wizard with defencemen. It's one thing to brag about elevating/returning Bouwmeester to his previous form in Florida, or helping already naturally-talented players in Giordano and Brodie. But when his system and coaching can bring out the best in lesser players like "waiver fodder" Schlemko or 33-year old Engelland, you know he's for real.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Unless the man scores the Cup-winning goal, one season does not a multi-year contract make.

I'll admit that he's surprised me and that he's definitely playing much better than I could have imagined. There's still 2 years to go on his contract which carries a 2.9m cap hit, which is a standard top-4 defenceman's salary. I do hope he can continue to provide that level of play.

I still don't like how much the Flames paid for him, UFA dollars or not. His previous contract with the Penguins only carried something like a 600k cap hit. Calgary should have been able to sign him for much less, something in the range of 1.5m.

Either way, I'd rather be complaining about only his contract as opposed to his contract AND his level of play.

The Flames were trying to sign Engelland for that. But, I think there were 1 or 2 other teams in a bidding war for him, so because we had the cap space, we overpaid for Engelland to ensure that we would get him. I'm pretty happy we did that too, because Engelland has surprisingly been earning every $ of that.

He doesn't even need to score the cup winning goal or a GWG like Stajan did last night. He stepped in a top 4 role when Giordano went down and look where we are now.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The Flames were trying to sign Engelland for that. But, I think there were 1 or 2 other teams in a bidding war for him, so because we had the cap space, we overpaid for Engelland to ensure that we would get him. I'm pretty happy we did that too, because Engelland has surprisingly been earning every $ of that.

He doesn't even need to score the cup winning goal or a GWG like Stajan did last night. He stepped in a top 4 role when Giordano went down and look where we are now.

Well, to be fair who else could step in that role? We had no choice to use him there. Lmao, it was either him, Diaz, Schlemko, or Potter. Smid was injured, and we know about Gio. I still don't think it justifies the signing. Sure he played alright, but mostly due to TJ Brodie. Still, he has stepped up though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
When we signed Cory Sarich, he signed a 5 year deal carrying a 3.6 million dollar cap hit. With how the cap has gone up in recent years, that's probably the equivalent to a 4.5 million dollar cap hit now. The Engelland to Sarich comparison is a pretty good one IMO, the main difference being that Sarich played in our top 4 consistently for the first 3 years of that deal. The final 2 he was in and out of the lineup. But Sarich is a guy who provides next to no offence. He is a bigger guy and physical guy that can hit and clear the crease and also drop the gloves when needed. Engelland is actually a better skater than Sarich, and has shown that he is capable of playing in our top 4.

If I'm being completely honest, prime Cory Sarich was a slightly higher quality defenceman, but not by a lot. I think Engelland is overpaid, but considering how he plays and for what he contributes, I have no problems with him being on the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bruce Arthur @bruce_arthur · 10m
In fairness to Calgary, you can never have too many guys around who can keep John Tortorella from getting into your dressing room
this was the post of the thread.

well you still have Burrows, so you do having a biting chance
or maybe this was, man I nailed that Burrows joke :laugh:

Who cares though? In order to lower the cap hit you have to add term and/or a NTC/NMC.

Say Engelland is worth 1.5 million, which I believe is pretty accurate.
Add 500k due to him being a UFA
Add 500k for signing 3 years or less
Add 500k for being a crappy team

it's really that simple.
I say I was 100% bang on here.

Engelland has already shown himself to be better than a #7 on a good team. But the rest of your post is quite accurate. Although from listening to Aaron Ward and some Penguin fans we might be shocked (mostly due to lowered expectations) at how solid he is defensively and on the PK
I think I was right here too.

horowitz.jpg

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I liked Sarich, mostly cause one of my best friends babysat for him and his wife. They paid her extremely well. Very generously. Enough that it was her only job lol

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK

Two more years of possible Engelland playoff action!! Oh baby. Oh baby.:handclap:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Originally Posted by 100 Third Graders View Post
Who cares though? In order to lower the cap hit you have to add term and/or a NTC/NMC.

it's really that simple.

this was the post of the thread.

I say I was 100% bang on here.

Actually, you weren't 100% bang on! Let me fix it:

Add 400k for being a crappy team

You were off by 100k! Amateur :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Originally Posted by 100 Third Graders View Post

it's really that simple.

Actually, you weren't 100% bang on! Let me fix it:

Add 400k for being a crappy team

You were off by 100k! Amateur :laugh:
close enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad