Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I've already stated that the 'rebuild on the fly' did not work,and a full rebuild wasn't possible with the Sedins when Benning was hired...I'm not defending management in 'everything' they've done...When you get into polar extremes of hating everything Benning has done (or,conversely loving everything he's done)..you completely lose your objectivity.

Literally two f***ing days ago you claimed that the team was so bad when Benning was hired, that it was impossible to avoid the “inevitable descent.”

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Literally two ****ing days ago you claimed that the team was so bad when Benning was hired, that it was impossible to avoid the “inevitable descent.”
In so far as there was no prospect pool to speak of,and there was nothing coming up behind to replace the Sedins in 2014-15...Benning gave the Sedins a couple of kicks at the can..The 'inevitable descent' was coming (as was clearly evident from the 2013-14 season),and it was a good thing too..This team had to hit rock bottom.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Playing better tonight played a role in two of the Canuck goals. I would play him with the Killer B's to help their transition games. Likely sits when Stecher Tavev are both back but I still think we have something here. Hutton is better defensively, i like Stecher's motor and think he should be on the pk. I think Pouliot allows a trade of Gudbranson eventually.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Playing better tonight played a role in two of the Canuck goals. I would play him with the Killer B's to help their transition games. Likely sits when Stecher Tavev are both back but I still think we have something here. Hutton is better defensively, i like Stecher's motor and think he should be on the pk. I think Pouliot allows a trade of Gudbranson eventually.

Biega would allow for the trade of Gudbranson.

Cap concerns would allow for the trade of Gudbranson.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Seems like what you're doing. All I'm asking is at what point does a player stop being considered a prospect. Pouliot is in his Draft +6 season, and will be 24 years old in 2 months. If asking that question is trolling well...you're wrong. Seems like you're just avoiding the question because it pokes a hole in your entire argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Seems like what you're doing. All I'm asking is at what point does a player stop being considered a prospect. Pouliot is in his Draft +6 season, and will be 24 years old in 2 months. If asking that question is trolling well...you're wrong. Seems like you're just avoiding the question because it pokes a hole in your entire argument.

At what point does a player stop being a prospect? When that player has spent at least a full season in the NHL or he no longer is considered to have NHL potential.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

your post did not respond to the arguments i made. instead you raised a semantic red herring. typically for your approach to hockey analysis, it was also an attempt to draw a black and white line where none exists. a "prospect" is simply a young player with potential. the word does not even need to be in my posts to make the point i was making and i really don't care what age limit you arbitrarily want to impose on the term.

not to mention i was talking about pedan and you have responded by commenting on pouliot.

i like to debate serious thoughtful arguments.

Reactions: Nomobo

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
your post did not respond to the arguments i made. instead you raised a semantic red herring. typically for your approach to hockey analysis, it was also an attempt to draw a black and white line where none exists. a "prospect" is simply a young player with potential. the word does not even need to be in my posts to make the point i was making and i really don't care what age limit you arbitrarily want to impose on the term.

not to mention i was talking about pedan and you have responded by commenting on pouliot.

i like to debate serious thoughtful arguments.

Because you weren't making any arguments. And it wasn't a semantic red herring. You're pushing the idea that we traded for a young prospect. He's not that young, nor should he be considered a prospect. He's a draft bust and a reclamation project.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Because you weren't making any arguments. And it wasn't a semantic red herring. You're pushing the idea that we traded for a young prospect. He's not that young, nor should he be considered a prospect. He's a draft bust and a reclamation project.

There is some grey area for sure. I would say 24 is the cutoff. Pouliot at 23 is just there. He is the same age as Stecher if Stecher played in Ahl last year I bet you would still consider him a prospect.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
There is some grey area for sure. I would say 24 is the cutoff. Pouliot at 23 is just there. He is the same age as Stecher if Stecher played in Ahl last year I bet you would still consider him a prospect.
Benning seems fond of trying to reclaim the careers of fourth year pros with draft pedigrees. I believe this pattern is so deeply embedded in his wiring that it cannot be removed.

In the words of an old Vancouver hockey philosopher, 'it is what it is.' At this point

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

that's not what i am "pushing" at all. you literally didn't read what i wrote. i realize your approach to analysis of benning players and trades has a preconceived agenda, but mine does not. i don't believe in black and white rules like "never trade draft picks when rebuilding" or "prospects end at 24" or d+5 or whatever line in the sand you are trying to draw.

i believe in analysing every move on its merits. your approach offers literally zero analysis of the pedan trade. it is so simplistic, crude and reactionary that you still haven't figured out i am not talking about pouliot even when i pointed it out to you.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
that's not what i am "pushing" at all. you literally didn't read what i wrote. i realize your approach to analysis of benning players and trades has a preconceived agenda, but mine does not. i don't believe in black and white rules like "never trade draft picks when rebuilding" or "prospects end at 24" or d+5 or whatever line in the sand you are trying to draw.

i believe in analysing every move on its merits. your approach offers literally zero analysis of the pedan trade. it is so simplistic, crude and reactionary that you still haven't figured out i am not talking about pouliot even when i pointed it out to you.

It's not a preconceived agenda. Most players Benning brings in here are trash. I also strongly disagree with a team that's supposedly rebuilding giving away draft picks like this, especially for a player who was going to hit waivers.

Ah who am I kidding...there is no rebuild. This is a veteran team still.

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
remember when you hoped a trade would work out even if you didn't like it at first, and you came around and got behind a player who busted his gut and showed some unexpected potential.

Seems like people with fake names on the internet are more worried about their "reputation" and having to admit that they were wrong.

Reactions: BrandonL

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's not a preconceived agenda. Most players Benning brings in here are trash. I also strongly disagree with a team that's supposedly rebuilding giving away draft picks like this, especially for a player who was going to hit waivers.

Ah who am I kidding...there is no rebuild. This is a veteran team still.

using the word "trash" to describe a player busting his gut to salvage his career is one of the worst things about this place.

pouliot is a great story. he's a kid who thought the world was at his feet who got handed the chance to pay with crosby and then fell to the point of waiver fodder, now trying to find redemption with his former mentor in a new environment with a group of young players trying to start something.

that storyline is the plot to a lot of movies. pouliot is living it in real life.

i love those kinds of players joining my team and i love rooting for them to dig their way out from under their own failings.

the idea he is "trash" is just contrary to the reason i watch hockey and the reason i am a sports fan, let alone a canucks fan calling his own players trash.

to me hockey is not a video game and the players are more than the sum of their stats.

Reactions: Nomobo

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So was 30 year old Vadim Shipachyov considered a prospect?

Technically he was. He wasn't an established NHL player but his prospects of developing/becoming an NHL player was still there and highly realistic. Of course, if you want to set an arbitrary age in which players cease to be prospects you can. Heck, a 30 year old Vadim Shipachyov can be an NHL rookie but can't win the rookie of the year award.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
How stoked he's gotta be, from seeming like he might be flushing out of the Pitt organization and maybe scared about his future in the league to playing 25 minutes and scoring against them. No clue if he's going to be a big part of our team or whatever, but this must have been one of the best days of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad