Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so far his flaw as a dman is a tendency to serve pizzas. he doesn't serve up as many pizzas as sbisa did.
pouliot continues not to be exposed by his footspeed issues and to get away with his pizzas. it's really hard to believe a reckoning is not approaching, but it is also possible that he is some kind of ninja who has figured out a way to defend despite his weaknesses. i will say he's not as prolific as our last pizza delivery guy.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
so far his flaw as a dman is a tendency to serve pizzas. he doesn't serve up as many pizzas as sbisa did.
pouliot continues not to be exposed by his footspeed issues and to get away with his pizzas. it's really hard to believe a reckoning is not approaching, but it is also possible that he is some kind of ninja who has figured out a way to defend despite his weaknesses. i will say he's not as prolific as our last pizza delivery guy.[/QUOTE

He's not even close when it comes to pizza deliveries, way better decision making when he gets in a tight spot.
Work in progress but you can sure see the potential.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
He created scoring chances and it's easy to his vision, poise and passing ability. Still relatively young and room to grow in terms of experience and his defensive game. He's our best offensive defenseman which isn't saying much. He'll have gaffs but is that not to be expected for a player who doesn't have many NHL games to his resume? Not sure what the hate is about... I guess when in doubt bash the move/player/team if you don't understand it?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He created scoring chances and it's easy to his vision, poise and passing ability. Still relatively young and room to grow in terms of experience and his defensive game. He's our best offensive defenseman which isn't saying much. He'll have gaffs but is that not to be expected for a player who doesn't have many NHL games to his resume? Not sure what the hate is about... I guess when in doubt bash the move/player/team if you don't understand it?

I really must be missing the 'scoring chances' he's created.

He had one play last night where he walked out of the corner and shot the puck over the net. Outside of very generic PP passing and shooting, that's the only scoring chance I can recall him being directly involved with in 6 games.

So no, I don't see the talent and don't see the potential. At all. Again, the guy looks like a crappier, slower Yannick Weber.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

He had one play last night where he walked out of the corner and shot the puck over the net. Outside of very generic PP passing and shooting, that's the only scoring chance I can recall him being directly involved with in 6 games.

So no, I don't see the talent and don't see the potential. At all. Again, the guy looks like a crappier, slower Yannick Weber.

He split the D and almost went in all alone and got a shot away. Showed good offensive instincts pinching and getting up in the offensive zone. Made some nice cross ice passes in the offensive zone. Two times should have been one timers but the players held on and looked for another opening. We have like two players capable of one timing it from there and they're right shots. Imo they should use him on the right side on the pp feeding it to Boeser and Vanek pff the left side

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
He definitely isn't better than Stecher offensively

He had that one powerplay shift where absolutely nothing went right, was pretty funny.

Without looking at numbers he was sheltered heavily again last night, did he have a D zone start?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

No problems with you not seeing the talent or seeing any potential... (hell I'm wondering what his upside could be as well)...
But to flat out crap on him stating he's hurting the team with egregious errors and depicting him as some sort of mistake prone gong show is completely wrong.

Definitely wasn't last game... nor the game before.

At least you've backtracked in this post a bit... but your last game 'evaluation' was gross and cruel.

Anyways...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No problems with you not seeing the talent or seeing any potential... (hell I'm wondering what his upside could be as well)...
But to flat out crap on him stating he's hurting the team with egregious errors and depicting him as some sort of mistake prone gong show is completely wrong.

Definitely wasn't last game... nor the game before.

At least you've backtracked in this post a bit... but your last game 'evaluation' was gross and cruel.

Anyways...

He wasn't last game. I didn't think he was great or anything but he wasn't terrible and didn't make any really egregious errors.

He was absolutely awful against Detroit. Go back and watch that game again if you have it PVRed. Getting incredibly soft minutes he was exposed almost every shift.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think Pouliot has shown what should have been expected...waiver fodder type player. That isn't a bad player in the grand scheme of things. But it is a player that will have some decent outings, some bad outings and very few truly good ones. A guy that after watching him leaves you with the feeling of "well this guy is easily replaced".

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think Pouliot has shown what should have been expected...waiver fodder type player. That isn't a bad player in the grand scheme of things. But it is a player that will have some decent outings, some bad outings and very few truly good ones. A guy that after watching him leaves you with the feeling of "well this guy is easily replaced".

replacement player level defence is easily replaced. the 23 years old part and the showing flashes of possible offensive upside parts are not. it's a good use of a slot for a rebuilding team to be playing this guy instead of a bartkowski just in case he can be more than a bartkowski.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He wasn't last game. I didn't think he was great or anything but he wasn't terrible and didn't make any really egregious errors.

He was absolutely awful against Detroit. Go back and watch that game again if you have it PVRed. Getting incredibly soft minutes he was exposed almost every shift.

I doubt I'll go back and watch.. like I said it took me 40+ mins to go thru 1 period ... with pausing and logging the shifts..

Seriously... It was a great shift by shift break down... but the mods deleted the whole thing for me mentioning in one line i didn't have a like button. (hell this post will probably get deleted - hopefully you read it before THEY do)
Had listed what time of the period, which line he was backing, and every significant event.
Time consuming. Poof.. gone.

and a side note... sheltering a 23 yr old raw dman that's new to a team/coaches/teammates is actually a very good thing. You can stop talking about it like its some sort of negative. Makes you sound like you're grasping at straws for criticism.

Reactions: jimslob

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

From my observations..I thought Pouliot was pretty solid in the Detroit game until the 3rd period when the D pairings got switched up (Stecher injury)....The bias of some posters is evident in assessing this player (like we don't see it all the time with Sutter,Granlund,Gudbranson)...

From what I've seen so far of Pouliot...I am really liking this trade.

Reactions: jimslob

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If I have time later in the week I'll go back and chart each shift from the Detroit game. Trust me, he was terrible.

If there's one thing I've learned here over the years, it's that a majority of fans ALWAYS think a young defender is playing well. Yann Sauve was absolutely brutal in his NHL games, including playing probably the worst game I've ever seen from a Canuck defender, and people here were still claiming he was doing well and showing potential.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
replacement player level defence is easily replaced. the 23 years old part and the showing flashes of possible offensive upside parts are not. it's a good use of a slot for a rebuilding team to be playing this guy instead of a bartkowski just in case he can be more than a bartkowski.

No the 23 year old with flashes of offense is also easily replaceable. That literally describes almost ever similarly aged and drafted busted or near busted D-man there has ever been.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
No the 23 year old with flashes of offense is also easily replaceable. That literally describes almost ever similarly aged and drafted busted or near busted D-man there has ever been.

cool, give me your best comparables to pouliot from the waiver wire this year and let's take a look at his easy replacements, keeping in mind my criterion would be a guy with upside you could keep on the big team roster and play if you have to.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Has anyone mentioned that defensemen take longer to develop? If not, I think that you all should give that some real consideration.

Reactions: VeteranBillet

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
and a side note... sheltering a 23 yr old raw dman that's new to a team/coaches/teammates is actually a very good thing. You can stop talking about it like its some sort of negative. Makes you sound like you're grasping at straws for criticism.

It's definitely not a bad thing that they're sheltering Pouliot, it is completely expected, it just puts his performance in context. Looking just okay in soft, limited minutes isn't very impressive, and I personally want to see him excel in those minutes before I think of him as a potential asset.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
How about we give the experiment longer than 6 games? He hasn't played many NHL games of late and is fitting into a new team. His confidence clearly needs to grow. Not expecting a miracle here, but he might be worth a longer look.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How about we give the experiment longer than 6 games? He hasn't played many NHL games of late and is fitting into a new team. His confidence clearly needs to grow. Not expecting a miracle here, but he might be worth a longer look.
There were peeps here that wanted the coach fired after 4 games ...Isnt giving Pouliot 7 games a bit of a stretch?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
cool, give me your best comparables to pouliot from the waiver wire this year and let's take a look at his easy replacements, keeping in mind my criterion would be a guy with upside you could keep on the big team roster and play if you have to.

Your criteria is a guy who can be a #7/8 guy? That's the hurdle?

Well there was Ryan Murphy who was waived. Nemeth was waived this year though upside is might be less with him he is that 7/8 guy. And of course had someone not given up assets Pouliot himself would be that guy.

That's this year since camps broke for the season.

And of course your requirement isn't even an apples to apples. That's the waiver wire...I wonder what else would be avaiable for a pick?

Young AHL D-man with decent AHL stats struggling to find a place in the NHL is not an unusual thing...it's a big step to make. And I'm not slamming Pouliot...I'm saying he is that 7/8 depth guy and that isn't really something that is exciting. He is a replaceable. Not sure how that is controversial. It is in fact exactly what your hurdle is!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What do ya know.. i have the wings gm..
Lets do this...

18:43 - on the fly.. With Stecher.. backing Burmistrov line... 1st touch.. outlet pass hits a leg, 1 chance against... recovers puck, pass and out.. quick change. Adventurous start.. ha ha... oh man.. if he did this all night i'm eating a lot of crow...

16:00.. with 44.. backing Burmy.. vs Zetterberg.. handles a clear makes a nice up under pressure to Gagner.. play comes back to the zone, net front front coverage rotates down to cover Mantha behind the net.. soga. OK shift.

14:42.. PP... playing the right side halfwall.. good puck movement.. got a great shot off great rebound opportunity created. Very good shift.

10:40.. with 44.. on the fly.. backing Sedin... the ref forced Marky to drop the puck shift. As the weakside defender has net front responsibility... Frk came out of the corner, Pouliot had to attack and Frk slides a beauty pass right between his legs for a back door chance as Virtanen missed his assignment. Quick shift. He was fine.

10:19.. with 44.. backing Horvat.. wins a puck battle leading to zone exit...after 53 almost scores on a bull rush.. Pouliot pinches (decent decision since he had support)... in the dzone makes 2 plays on guys to keep them to the outside... the 2nd with Vanek leads to a zone exit.. Good shift...

5:55.. backing Horvat.. vs Larkin... quick stoppage. Quick shift. Nothing to evaluate.

5:25.. backing Sedin.. 1st shift after Baertschi goal. A couple aggressive looks to pinch off the great Virtanen shift. OK shift.

2:06.. backing Sedin.. stops a stretch pass..quick shift. Was fine again.

There's the first period....

I ain't doing the rest of the game because there is No Point!.... its clear as day you (MS) were insanely hyperbolic, over the top, and flat out full of it.
Pretty ridiculous of you to talk so disparagingly about a 23 yr kid in such f***ed up way... and for what reason? 4th round pick?
Dumb.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Young AHL D-man with decent AHL stats struggling to find a place in the NHL is not an unusual thing...it's a big step to make. And I'm not slamming Pouliot...I'm saying he is that 7/8 depth guy and that isn't really something that is exciting. He is a replaceable. Not sure how that is controversial. It is in fact exactly what your hurdle is!

Some guys just need an opportunity. Heck, how many of us thought Biega would spend so much time in the AHL. You even have a poster or two here who thinks Biega is a #5 NHL Dman.

Pouliot's underlying numbers are a lot better than Murphy and Nemeth (the two guys you mentioned). In fact, with so many people caring about possession numbers, Pouliot has been a possession machine for most of his NHL career. And unlike Murphy and Nemeth, Pouliot was deemed expendable by a team who has won back to back Stanley Cups.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well you can put me in the camp that Biega is the same 7/8 guy. Yes sometimes players need to just be given a chance. Usually however those guys turn out to be Linden Vey rather than Alex Burrows. Teams don't walk away from young players they believe can be a contributing member of the big club. Sometimes those teams make mistakes...but usually not.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Your criteria is a guy who can be a #7/8 guy? That's the hurdle?

Well there was Ryan Murphy who was waived. Nemeth was waived this year though upside is might be less with him he is that 7/8 guy. And of course had someone not given up assets Pouliot himself would be that guy.

That's this year since camps broke for the season.

And of course your requirement isn't even an apples to apples. That's the waiver wire...I wonder what else would be avaiable for a pick?

my criterion is a young prospect with some remaining upside who can handle the 7/8 slot. basically use a replacement player slot to take a shot at a player who might still be something,

nemeth is two years older than pouliot and was claimed by avs, so we did not have a shot at him on waivers

murphy is a year older but we could have signed him this summer i guess. i'd rate him as somewhat more busted than pouliot but i'd agree he is in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad