Player Discussion Derek Ryan

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
When's the last time we've had a RH C with a strong FO%?
I've always liked his game and I'm hoping that his speed, stickhandling, and defensive game is as good as I've seen from him over the years (he's stood out during World Championships in terms of offensive skills).

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It'll be interesting
Last year he was 12 on the Flames regulars for 5v5 ice time per game, 7th the year before so he definitely took a lesser role last year.

In the games I remembered watching he definitely looked good in that 4th line role.

I think his near 40 point seasons are a thing of the past, I think that's when he managed to peak.

I don't think he would be effective as a 3rd liner anymore, at 34 I think he is much better suited as a 4th liner/pk/key face off guy. And there is nothing wrong with that.

My only concern, which isn't for him as a player, is that he gets miscast here as a 3rd liner, doesn't do great and hate on for it. He is a damn good 4th liner right now and that's the role he SHOULD be put in

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
This team needs a Letestu/Stoll type in the bottom six. Our pro scouting seems poopy but don’t ask me who I would bring because I’m a poopy scout too

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
It'll be interesting
Last year he was 12 on the Flames regulars for 5v5 ice time per game, 7th the year before so he definitely took a lesser role last year.

In the games I remembered watching he definitely looked good in that 4th line role.

I think his near 40 point seasons are a thing of the past, I think that's when he managed to peak.

I don't think he would be effective as a 3rd liner anymore, at 34 I think he is much better suited as a 4th liner/pk/key face off guy. And there is nothing wrong with that.

My only concern, which isn't for him as a player, is that he gets miscast here as a 3rd liner, doesn't do great and hate on for it. He is a damn good 4th liner right now and that's the role he SHOULD be put in

In 2019-2020, he was on pace for a 35 point season over 82 games, so it's not like he's completely fallen off of a cliff, offensively speaking.

I think his defensive ability would work with helping break in Holloway (perhaps with Yamamoto on RW).

It'll be nice to see FOs being won off off his backhand to Bouchard or Barrie for high quality chances from the point.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In 2019-2020, he was on pace for a 35 point season over 82 games, so it's not like he's completely fallen off of a cliff, offensively speaking.

I think his defensive ability would work with helping break in Holloway (perhaps with Yamamoto on RW).

It'll be nice to see FOs being won off off his backhand to Bouchard or Barrie for high quality chances from the point.
No his offense has stayed steady 5v5 for his whole career, just his icetime has changed due to the rest of his game.

He will be great to have on the 4th line

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It'll be interesting

The Flames were a mess. A lot of their players struggled offensively most of the season.

It's possible at Ryan's age that he had natural regression but it's also possible that his lower numbers were due to the environment he was in. His underlying numbers were still good so I think there's potential for a bounceback offensively, probably not 40 points but perhaps 10 goals, 30 points.

I just hope he's not another in a long line of has beens like Gordon, Belanger, Brodziak and Turris that never bounced back here and just fell off the face of the earth. I think he's better than those guys at the time of signing especially defensively and doesn't have as much tread on the tires (similar to Hyman compared to the other bad signings of the past) but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I almost feel like the Oilers s HFBOARDS willed him to come over
It's a good fit. Less defensive draws for Draisaitl and a player that can teach Dylan Holloway and Ryan McLeod some integral lessons about playing as a defensive center in the NHL.

I know some people envision Holloway as a top six winger but I'd like to develop this player as a tight checking third line center. An essential role for any top caliber team. If Holloway and McLeod can become our long term bottom six centers we are made in the shade. It works on so many different levels including salary cap management, player development from within, and team speed and size.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's an upgrade on Haas (at least offensively and at the faceoff dot, Haas during play was still strong defensively), but I don't think he should be expected handle a bigger role.

Still Haas and Archi did well when used as a shutdown combo, so I think Ryan should fit in well there. I'm curious to see who rounds out that line, as I can see Kassian, Foegele, Benson, and McLeod all being a good fit at LW.

Reactions: yukoner88

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Love him as our 4th line centre. I just really would hate to see Tipp overplay him and he seems like such a prime tipp overplay candidate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Been a long time since we had a no nonsense player with Ryan's talents. He'll be a huge upgrade for us over the Haas', Turris', and Khaira's we've had in his spot before.
Yep Ryan can actually score some goals and has some hands when given a chance. Add some support offense in bottomsix. Not sure why theres a 2nd thread on Ryan. I'll just add again that I go back all the way to the U of A with this player, saw him lots. At any level of play he's had the ability to occasionally make defenders look stupid. its a shame we never got him right out of U of A. No org excuse for that. he could have made an impact right out of CIS.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Short sample but Hass wasn’t terrible on the dot over 50% last season I believe

Haas was 45% on the dot last year. 42% the year before.

Nice enough guy... so happy to see him gone.

Ooops... I see this was already answered. Erasing... no need to pile on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad