Derek Ryan spears Nils Hoglander in the nuts, how is this not a 5 minute major penalty for attempt to injure?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
When has spears in the nuts become a non issue?

The play before is irrelevant when it comes to the penalty for Ryan. Its a 5 on Ryan and a 2 on Hoglander.

Any other call is a mockery of the game and the actual rules the refs are supposed to rule by!
The refs simply need to make calls when they happen. The play should have been dead before the nut shot. However, as usual, the refs miss a call and the players take it in their own hands and someone nearly gets hurt. Its a tail as old time.

Yes, Ryan shouldn't have done that, the refs lost control night.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
No, Ryan moves his upwards into the groin of Hoglander. He would not have gotten the hit on the nuts without moving the blade of the stick upwards into the private area of Hoglander. That is not a slash! If thats not spearing with the blade then spearing with the blade does not exist and its in the rules, so it does exist!

Nevertheless if you on purpose go after someones nuts from behind in a cowardly manner then its a textbook 5 minute major, could be seen as attempt to injure and put a game misconduct on top of that!
Spearing is a horizontal motion.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Spearing is a horizontal motion.

We could probably debate whether its spearing or not all day is not clearly defined in the rules.

Even if it was slashing it should have been a 5 minutes major + game misconduct for attempt to injure.

As per the ruling yesterday, its no different to mistakenly slash a players on the leg or deliberately go after someones nuts, and thats just lunacy on behalf of the league.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
We could probably debate whether its spearing or not all day is not clearly defined in the rules.

Even if it was slashing it should have been a 5 minutes major + game misconduct for attempt to injure.

As per the ruling yesterday, its no different to mistakenly slash a players on the leg or deliberately go after someones nuts, and thats just lunacy on behalf of the league.
no, but spearing can be 5 min major, slashing isn't.

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
Looks clean to me. Pretty sure he lifted his stick on the other side but we just can’t see from this angle.

Reactions: nerblet

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
no, but spearing can be 5 min major, slashing isn't.

Quote me where in the rule it says slashing can never be a 5 minuter major even if its a deliberate intent to injure which going after someones nuts on purpose should always be seen as.

Also quote me where in the rules it stated spearing with the blade can only be a horizontal motion! We can continue this conversation after you pulled those quotes from the rules, thanks!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Just noted that if stuff like this can be done with little or no penalty/punishment why not just go berserk?

Surely this is a textbook 5 minute major + game misconduct.

Dirty..............no need at all.
He did get a penalty, so..........................but that stuff can lead to more crap.
Neither teams needs that going on. Jr B stuff.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Textbook spear using the blade as a spear in the groin, not that it matters. If you slash someone in the nuts on purpose that is a 5 minute game misconduct as well!

Hopefully they forget the rule book when some one destroys McDavid, perhaps thats the only way to make sure people care about cheap shots!
It was a garbage play.............by a 4th liner........Brutal.
Absolutely no need at all.

Reactions: Dessloch

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Quote me where in the rule it says slashing can never be a 5 minuter major even if its a deliberate intent to injure which going after someones nuts on purpose should always be seen as.

Also quote me where in the rules it stated spearing with the blade can only be a horizontal motion! We can continue this conversation after you pulled those quotes from the rules, thanks!
I don't need to quote you on anything. Im not arguing with you. you are set in your ways and see it one way and will never change your mind. Other posters have just what you ask me to. You just reply with me QUOTE ME.

I just interjected to say spearing is a horizontal motion. I can't help if you don't know or don't want to know the difference slashing and spearing.

Dirty..............no need at all.
He did get a penalty, so..........................but that stuff can lead to more crap.
Neither teams needs that going on. Jr B stuff.
yup. Refs need to keep control of the game better. When the refs let it all go the players take it in their own hands and people end up hurt. a penalty is a penalty it shouldn't matter if it's the playoffs or not.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't need to quote you on anything. Im not arguing with you. you are set in your ways and see it one way and will never change your mind. Other posters have just what you ask me to. You just reply with me QUOTE ME.

I just interjected to say spearing is a horizontal motion. I can't help if you don't know or don't want to know the difference slashing and spearing.

yup. Refs need to keep control of the game better. When the refs let it all go the players take it in their own hands and people end up hurt. a penalty is a penalty it shouldn't matter if it's the playoffs or not.
The last thing anyone wants, is to see McD or Petterson get hurt in this manner.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The action of spearing is defined as a stabbing motion, which that was not. It was a slash, which is defined as a player swinging their stick at an opposing player.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
refs were terrible in this game...NHL needs to do something about the soccer bs that has infected the league

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Derek Ryan was cross checked in the ribs by Hoglander. Only reason he gave him that tap of a slash. He’s not a player that’s just going to get revenge for no reason.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Hoglander has no testicles so its fine.

damnit someone already made the joke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad