Derek Ryan spears Nils Hoglander in the nuts, how is this not a 5 minute major penalty for attempt to injure?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Are HF Oilers fans defense lawyers on the side? They can twist clear evidence as good as the best of them to suit their agenda

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I'm seriously concerned for your vision.

He clearly shovels upward. Look at his hands and stick. He's out there looking like he's shoveling snow. How is that a horizontal motion? Lol. You guys are hilarious.

When we talk about spearing people in the nuts that is pretty much what it is, that upward motion with the blade. I mean maybe semantically it should be called something else, but players have been fined for spearing in the nuts with that "snow shoveling" motion.

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Are HF Oilers fans defense lawyers on the side? They can twist clear evidence as good as the best of them to suit their agenda
You do realize a lot of those comments are sarcasm, right?

Canucks fans have been whining all week, they never deserve to get a penalty but the Oilers should have 10 a game apparently.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I would hope not, struggling to identify the difference between a spear and a slash might not win them many cases

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Kinda funny how we need to explain slashing vs spearing

Sorry bro, that's a spear. Not every spear is a poke going straight into the chest, he clearly "poked" him in an upward motion with the top of his stick into his nuts.

Should have been a major and was missed.
A spear is a straight motion. Cuz if you ha e a spear, it only has point on the end and hitting with side of tip would do nothing. This was a slash. It was not a straightforward motion. Its sad you are proving you dont know the definition. It was a dirty hit. But not a spear.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
No offense, but are you going to choose to bury your head in the sand when literally every neutral fan in this thread thinks it's a 5-minute major and there's an entire video about 5-minute majors that have been called for the exact play?
Where are all these neutral fans? Most ive seem agree its not a spear. Btw im neutral fan

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Where are all these neutral fans? Most ive seem agree its not a spear. Btw im neutral fan
Watch the first penalty call here. Stick between legs and swung up. Called a spear
Spearing doesn’t mean it’s limited to forward motion

Stick between his legs
IMG_1638.jpeg

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
Mystified by the comments that Hoglander’s check was an ordinary “rub out” which didn’t warrant a response.

The puck was a mile up ice, Ryan had taken a three or four strides to catch up with the play, and Hoglander skates around him from behind to crosscheck him before scurrying away to the bench.

There’s a reason this wasn’t called a major or referred to DOPS. At absolute best, Hoglander was counting on the ref to swallow his whistle so he could get away with a trashy bit of interference. The way he went about it, it’s more like he was hoping Ryan would do something in retaliation. Well, he did. The ref saw the whole thing and rightly judged both players to be worthy of a trip to the box. That’s where it ends. Hoglander’s completely fine and hopefully a bit smarter now.
What? How is there equivalence between those two plays? A spear to the nuts should be an auto 5 and a game and Hoglander's play should be a 2 minute minor for cross-checking/interference. Give me a break.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'm really surprised theres not even a fine.
They probably figured that if you pissed off Derek Ryan enough for him to cup check you, its probably your fault.

Guy gets sent head first into the boards every second game, and never seen the guy retaliate until now. :laugh:

Reactions: devo09 and ZJuice

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018

A spear is a straight motion. Cuz if you ha e a spear, it only has point on the end and hitting with side of tip would do nothing. This was a slash. It was not a straightforward motion. Its sad you are proving you dont know the definition. It was a dirty hit. But not a spear.
The only thing that's kind of funny is you haven't been around hockey long enough to seen enough examples of guys being ejected from the game for the exact same play under the ruling of spearing. I've seen it over a dozen times in the past 30+ years I've been watching hockey. Maybe you don't watch enough?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Sad you dont understand what a spear is and think you do. Spearing is poking with the end of your blade, which he did. Sadder you think it was a “hit”. Jesus, educate yourself.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
The problem with your overly exclamated diatribes is that you aren't on any morale high ground when you post garbage hoping for other players to get illegally destroyed in retaliation.

It's like...'yeah how hard is it for fans of X team to just admit that the player did some retaliatory dumbassery and deserved a major. I really hope when their player gets rekt illegally in further retaliation for this retaliatory act of violence, we also forget the rule book' (also add 500 exclamation points for no reason)

I dont claim to be on any moral high ground, I just think that is the only way for the people advocating for violence to be allowed to maybe re-consider their stance, if it happens to themselves or their team that just might happen.

I also dont think its weird at all to wish the people that advocates for cheap shots to get wrecked in the nuts themselves as they want this to be allowed. I do not want it to be allowed, but I am fine with it happening to people who either do it or think its fine.

Its the NHL that must change their ways, if they erase this kind of shit from the game nobody would be doing it and the fans defending this stuff would not be able to point to other players getting away with it before, its not hard at all, just enforce the rules!

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I dont claim to be on any moral high ground, I just think that is the only way for the people advocating for violence to be allowed to maybe re-consider their stance, if it happens to themselves or their team that just might happen.

I also dont think its weird at all to wish the people that advocates for cheap shots to get wrecked in the nuts themselves as they want this to be allowed. I do not want it to be allowed, but I am fine with it happening to people who either do it or think its fine.

Its the NHL that must change their ways, if they erase this kind of shit from the game nobody would be doing it and the fans defending this stuff would not be able to point to other players getting away with it before, its not hard at all, just enforce the rules!
Mcdavid is advocating for cheapshots? When did he say that?

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad