Confirmed with Link: Derek Roy agrees to 1 year deal

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Putting Aucoin in the AHL, his cap hit becomes trivial. Armstrong said he was targeting 2 centers, one top 6 and one bottom 6. If Aucoin was looked at as AHL depth all along (which must be the case or why sign Lapierre the same day?) then neither had anything to do with the Roy signing.

Roy wasn't the first choice, but Armstrong also pointed out that there weren't A-level UFA centers out there, except for Lecavelier. The Blues were going to have to sign a couple bottom 6 forwards regardless. How much could possibly have been spent on those 2 positions if they don't sign Lapierre? At a league minimum, its less than 1M savings. Its not enough to likely allow the RFA signings without moving someone.

I see the moves as being calculated, as he went from option to option at the top 6 center spot. The bottom 6 players fit well with what the Blues are doing. I suspect his move to free up salary has been in the works (and probably more than one option) for a while now. Its just a matter of calling some GM back and saying, "Yeah, let's do this now."

You might be right, but that comes down to whether or not the Wolves are paying the Aucoin salary in the AHL. We have clearly got the go ahead to spend the cap this year, but there is no way I believe that ownership will be happy with spending $625k on an AHL player. We've went to too much bother at cutting costs to throw away that kind of money (or even half of it).

Right now, I just feel that the Lapierre signing was reactive to the prospect that Sobotka could be starting the season at #3C and we needed to add another depth player because of that.

jarmoismyhero

Mar 18, 2012
St. Louis
Putting Aucoin in the AHL, his cap hit becomes trivial. Armstrong said he was targeting 2 centers, one top 6 and one bottom 6. If Aucoin was looked at as AHL depth all along (which must be the case or why sign Lapierre the same day?) then neither had anything to do with the Roy signing.

Roy wasn't the first choice, but Armstrong also pointed out that there weren't A-level UFA centers out there, except for Lecavelier. The Blues were going to have to sign a couple bottom 6 forwards regardless. How much could possibly have been spent on those 2 positions if they don't sign Lapierre? At a league minimum, its less than 1M savings. Its not enough to likely allow the RFA signings without moving someone.

I see the moves as being calculated, as he went from option to option at the top 6 center spot. The bottom 6 players fit well with what the Blues are doing. I suspect his move to free up salary has been in the works (and probably more than one option) for a while now. Its just a matter of calling some GM back and saying, "Yeah, let's do this now."

Is he really an upgrade to our top 6 though? He has not had a season that would be an upgrade since 09/10. At least it is only a 1 year deal though.

And I think this whole thing is going to hinge on who Army trades and for what.

jarmoismyhero

Mar 18, 2012
St. Louis
Doubtful because it could be a low first. Stewart is worth more then a low 1st and a 3rd.

Another reason this is doubtful is that if he were gonna get an OS I would imagine it would have been before teams started offering unreal contracts to the likes of Clowe, Clarksson, Bozak etc.

However with Roy signed now would be a horrible time for he Blues to get hit with an OS of 4 years and about 5 per...They would have to match but then they would really be over a barrel.

And before people tell me to calm down I understand I am thinking about a lot of different scenarios however the Roy signing has put a lot of questions on the table.

h22prelude93

Jan 27, 2010
St.Louis, Mo
your exact words were "He talks about not wanting to overpay or be foolish, but I'd much rather see them overpay on one player who pushes us to another level then play it safe and sign 3 more depth players who could or could not make us a better team."

besides lecavalier, whom the blues made a huge push for and lecavalier acknowledged that fact, which of the available free agents would you want to overpay? i'm not putting words in your mouth by mentioning the other players, it's just the reality of the UFAs available this season. you don't overpay weiss, filppula or ribeiro because they simply aren't the high level difference makers that we all agree are needed to take this team to the next level. this signing allows this team to bridge the gap until either a trade occurs or more favorable UFAs are available.

like someone mentioned earlier, it took almost a year and a half to get bouwmeester, and he seems like an excellent fit so far. we all can certainly wait until at least the upcoming season's trade deadline to let armstrong sort things out.

That's my point brother. I'd rather us not make any moves then to sign players like these who aren't clear improvements over what we already have. It's just my opinion, but it seems like a waste of 6 million to sign these guys. And I hope I'm wrong, but I'd rather us wait and overpay(if we have to) to land that player who for sure can improve our top six. I guess I am starting to get impatient also, but seeing moves like these seem more like two steps back than two forward. Again sorry if I sound negative...I just hope Armstrong is willing to do what it takes when the time comes to get that player(s) that push us over the top.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
You might be right, but that comes down to whether or not the Wolves are paying the Aucoin salary in the AHL. We have clearly got the go ahead to spend the cap this year, but there is no way I believe that ownership will be happy with spending $625k on an AHL player. We've went to too much bother at cutting costs to throw away that kind of money (or even half of it).

Right now, I just feel that the Lapierre signing was reactive to the prospect that Sobotka could be starting the season at #3C and we needed to add another depth player because of that.
Well, suppose there is a 2 for 1 trade that reduces net salary but gives an upgrade at one of the forward spots. Suddenly Aucoin is in the press box and Sobotka is on the 3rd line wing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Is he really an upgrade to our top 6 though? He has not had a season that would be an upgrade since 09/10. At least it is only a 1 year deal though.

And I think this whole thing is going to hinge on who Army trades and for what.

Maybe its not much of an upgrade over Berglund, and maybe it is. But you have to look at how it upgrades the 3C spot. Berglund > Sobotka, which is what this trade allows the Blues to do. Its a significant upgrade to the roster. You're adding a top 6 player without giving up anything.

For those who are seeing a potential salary reduction trade as a direct ramification for signing Roy....I see it this way: Roy is a 4M one-year place-holder. Signing him provides the salary structure that Armstrong wants for a top 6 center. If not now, it would have be done later to sign a different center, or at the deadline to work out a trade. Roy's 4M will be there next season to use at that spot (and for all we know he works out great and gets offered to re-sign). Or he walks for nothing and the Blues apply that money to the next top 6 center on the radar (I know everyone wants to pencil Stastny at that spot).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I still need to be convinced that Derek Roy is a top 6 forward. He's an undersized player who's lost a step. Hence his injuries. Hockey is a big man's game. Undersized players can excel if they have hockey sense, and most importantly, speed. Once that speed is gone, you're a concussion waiting to happen. (Andy MacDonald?) Derek Roy is another Amac. As far as I'm concerned, Armstrong targeted a tp 6 and a bottom 6 centre and ended up with 3 bottom 6. I genuinely hope he fails his physical and we save 4m. Jmho.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
The hate Roy is getting is so laughable.

First off Roy has had one legit injury. When looking at total games in hockeydb or whatever you're looking at, you have to realize when it splits between teams, it's still same years too.
So here are here his totals concerning games played.
49 (rookie year)
70 (playing in the AHL for 8 games)
35 (shoulder injury)

So this injury bull can get tossed out the window because you're all making yourself look stupid.

Secondly, he's had one rough year offensively. Below are his games per season/goals/assists/points.

49gp-9g-10a-19pnts
70gp-18g-28a-46pnts
75gp-21g-42a-63pnts
78gp-32g-49a-81pnts
82gp-28g-42a-70pnts
80gp-26g-43a-69pnts
35gp-10g-25a-35pnts
80gp-17g-27a-44pnts
42gp-7g-21a-28pnts.

Even this last year he was in pace for 14 goals, 42 assists, for 56 points. Behind only Chris Stewart for the team lead in points. So for his "lack of offense", take that for what it's worth. Considering he was playing 2/3rd line minutes in Dallas/Vancouver.

If Backes does get moved to the wing, Roy will likely see top line minutes here. Put him with our deadliest shooters, Stewart or Tarasenko on the RW with Steen on LW and you have a guy who could crack 50+ assists.

So this hole ordeal about him being injury prone and him being washed up offensively crap is just that, crap.

Good God I swear some of you just have to find a reason to rag on a player just to rag on him. Well Roy isn't the best choice considering he's done a lot better that most of you imagined he did.

illninofan*

Agreed with Randall, I'm sick of the pessimism and hate.

I don't think people realize just how good of a situation we're in. Roy, while not the best option, is still more than good enough for what we need right now.

Roy gets to be on a team with quality wingers and shooters where he can flourish and some of the pressure is taken off of him (due to our size and defensive play) while potentially playing top line minutes. Meanwhile, the Blues needed a center who could make passes and help out on the playmaking end of things to help bring out the latent offense/space that our shooters need...and they got it.

Maybe he's not elite, but I do think that Roy is in a situation that can bring out the most in him, similar to his earlier years in Buffalo.

Personally, I hope we keep all of our forwards and just add Roy into the mix and they'll all benefit, Tarasenko, Perron, Schwartz, Stewart...they'll all have good seasons.

If he has a good season we can extend him or he can go seek money elsewhere while we make a play for someone like Stastny.

If he craps out, no harm done, really.

Personally, I'm looking for big improvement from everyone involved and all signs point to it, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Agreed with Randall, I'm sick of the pessimism and hate.

I don't think people realize just how good of a situation we're in. Roy, while not the best option, is still more than good enough for what we need right now.

Roy gets to be on a team with quality wingers and shooters where he can flourish and some of the pressure is taken off of him (due to our size and defensive play) while potentially playing top line minutes. Meanwhile, the Blues needed a center who could make passes and help out on the playmaking end of things to help bring out the latent offense/space that our shooters need...and they got it.

Maybe he's not elite, but I do think that Roy is in a situation that can bring out the most in him, similar to his earlier years in Buffalo.

Personally, I hope we keep all of our forwards and just add Roy into the mix and they'll all benefit, Tarasenko, Perron, Schwartz, Stewart...they'll all have good seasons.

If he has a good season we can extend him or he can go seek money elsewhere while we make a play for someone like Stastny.

If he craps out, no harm done, really.

Personally, I'm looking for big improvement from everyone involved and all signs point to it, in my opinion.

This is also the way I see this situation. He should do a good job of feeding his wingers, and also help out a LOT on the PP. A win, win situation. The only problem might occur IF he can't stay healthy.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
it's curious. For those being negative about Roy, I feel like if we had signed Weiss people would have hailed it as management making an effort, but the Roy signing is portrayed as a sad consolation move. I don't get the impression the distance between the performance of the two players is that great.

In a worst case scenario where Roy sucks, we just won't play him. We have the same team as last year around him.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
This signing reminds me of when the Rams traded for Brandon Lloyd. They had no decent receivers, so they traded for an above average one just to see if it would make a difference or if the QB was the problem. The Blues have no pass-first, play making centers, so they signed Roy to see if that was the problem or if it's their wingers.

your theory is very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
it's curious. For those being negative about Roy, I feel like if we had signed Weiss people would have hailed it as management making an effort, but the Roy signing is portrayed as a sad consolation move. I don't get the impression the distance between the performance of the two players is that great.

In a worst case scenario where Roy sucks, we just won't play him. We have the same team as last year around him.

You are right on here. Furthermore, I feel as though he was the best playmaking center available this year through FA and there are many threads where everyone said our biggest need is a playmaking center. Most people did say a true #1 center but this was the best choice for us.

This IS management making an effort to sign the best fit, not the most overhyped and overpaid

cadetduke

Jan 19, 2012
Agree with Randall. Was happy when I first heard this and actually made me look more forward to next season than before he was signed.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

if there is any distance, it's in Roy's favor. Roy has consistently put up similar numbers to Weiss with his peak season being 20 points better than Weiss' peak season, while still maintaining a good two-way game. Weiss is also coming off an injury and a brutal season offensively. Career-wise Roy has 61 more points than Weiss in 63 less games. obviously, playing with Vanek helps, but that just means talent flourishes around talent.

the more i think about it, I don't understand how a 1 year deal that's 900K cheaper than Weiss' AAV could be seen as detrimental.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
if there is any distance, it's in Roy's favor. Roy has consistently put up similar numbers to Weiss with his peak season being 20 points better than Weiss' peak season, while still maintaining a good two-way game. Weiss is also coming off an injury and a brutal season offensively. Career-wise Roy has 61 more points than Weiss in 63 less games. obviously, playing with Vanek helps, but that just means talent flourishes around talent.

the more i think about it, I don't understand how a 1 year deal that's 900K cheaper than Weiss' AAV could be seen as detrimental.

Because everything is not said and done. We have to make an additional move to fit everyone in the cap space. The subtraction may be greater then the addition of Roy.

Also I don't think anyone is mad we got Roy over Weiss. The only FA center I wanted was Vinny. All the centers that were available were 40-50 point guys. Bringing up Roy's past production is pointless because he is not the same player anymore. He is a 40 to 50 point player currently.

We may lose Perron or Stewart due to Roy who I feel both have a higher upside currently as players.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The hate Roy is getting is so laughable.

First off Roy has had one legit injury. When looking at total games in hockeydb or whatever you're looking at, you have to realize when it splits between teams, it's still same years too.
So here are here his totals concerning games played.
49 (rookie year)
70 (playing in the AHL for 8 games)
35 (shoulder injury)

So this injury bull can get tossed out the window because you're all making yourself look stupid.

Secondly, he's had one rough year offensively. Below are his games per season/goals/assists/points.

49gp-9g-10a-19pnts
70gp-18g-28a-46pnts
75gp-21g-42a-63pnts
78gp-32g-49a-81pnts
82gp-28g-42a-70pnts
80gp-26g-43a-69pnts
35gp-10g-25a-35pnts
80gp-17g-27a-44pnts
42gp-7g-21a-28pnts.

Even this last year he was in pace for 14 goals, 42 assists, for 56 points. Behind only Chris Stewart for the team lead in points. So for his "lack of offense", take that for what it's worth. Considering he was playing 2/3rd line minutes in Dallas/Vancouver.

If Backes does get moved to the wing, Roy will likely see top line minutes here. Put him with our deadliest shooters, Stewart or Tarasenko on the RW with Steen on LW and you have a guy who could crack 50+ assists.

So this hole ordeal about him being injury prone and him being washed up offensively crap is just that, crap.

Good God I swear some of you just have to find a reason to rag on a player just to rag on him. Well Roy isn't the best choice considering he's done a lot better that most of you imagined he did.

Nice, some logic.

I'm very excited to see Roy on the Blues. I expect him to help up our offense quite a bit.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
Because everything is not said and done. We have to make an additional move to fit everyone in the cap space. The subtraction may be greater then the addition of Roy.

Also I don't think anyone is mad we got Roy over Weiss. The only FA center I wanted was Vinny. All the centers that were available were 40-50 point guys. Bringing up Roy's past production is pointless because he is not the same player anymore. He is a 40 to 50 point player currently.

We may lose Perron or Stewart due to Roy who I feel both have a higher upside currently as players.

I don't think they signed Roy and then went, "Oops, we got to get rid of somebody else." Pretty sure if we wind up moving Halak/Perron/Stewart/whoever, that we were already heading in that direction anyway.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I am willing to bet that Roy will lead the Blues in points with 60+

Yoko Ono*

If Vanek comes with him this will be a good deal but the guy has a trashed shoulder, good luck getting 45 points out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad