Cut/Released: Derek Carr

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Derek Carr faces the wild proposition given the absurdity of the AFC that he could go from the worst QB in his division to perhaps the best if he goes to the NFC South.

I'd be fine with it for the Saints because, at best he is good enough, and at worst it will force the Saints to rebuild entirely and start all the way over.
If Tanny signs with Atl it would be a push. Those 2 are at the same level.
If I was TB I’d roll with Trask and hope I find something and take this year as a reset of rhe cap and pay off the SB Signings. If Trask doesn’t hit, then you’re bad enough to draft a QB high and start over.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Raiders are going to find out that there's a long way down to go from merely average at QB.
They've been with Carr at the helm:

3-13
7-9
12-4 (12-3 up to when Carr got hurt)
6-10
4-12
7-9
8-8
10-7
6-9 (last 2 games with Stidham)

Only twice has the team gotten to double digit wins and a winning record overall with Carr.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

3-13
7-9
6-10
4-12
7-9
8-8
10-7

Only twice has the team gotten to double digit wins and a winning record overall with Carr.

Carr wasn't going to lead us anywhere, good riddance.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Carr wasn't going to lead us anywhere, good riddance.
I agree. Been in the nfl too long to suddenly see drastic improvement from him. Older than Brees when he got to NO. Played too much that you don’t expect to see a Gannon style bump in play.

There’s no Rams or Bucs situation that I can see. Jets have the most talent but they are young. Hackett is the OC.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I agree. Been in the nfl too long to suddenly see drastic improvement from him. Older than Brees when he got to NO. Played too much that you don’t expect to see a Gannon style bump in play.

There’s no Rams or Bucs situation that I can see. Jets have the most talent but they are young. Hackett is the OC.

Gannon form 1998-2002 > Carr in his 9 years with the Raiders.
We actually won meaningful games come playoff time (minus the Super Bowl).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

3-13
7-9
6-10
4-12
7-9
8-8
10-7

Wins are mostly a team stat beyond a few extrenuating circumstances.

And yeah, most of those seasons were .500ish or better, so even if that wasn't the case going strictly by record adds to the idea that he's average and the team can absolutely experience a noticable drop at QB still.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gannon form 1998-2002 > Carr in his 9 years with the Raiders.
We actually won meaningful games come playoff time (minus the Super Bowl).
Wins are mostly a team stat beyond a few extrenuating circumstances.

And yeah, most of those seasons were .500ish or better, so even if that wasn't the case going strictly by record adds to the idea that he's average and the team can absolutely experience a noticable drop at QB still.

End of the day even if the raiders fall it’s not like they are falling from 11/12 wins seasons to 3 wins. They’ve been mostly around 7 wins during DC’s time.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
If I was TB I’d roll with Trask and hope I find something and take this year as a reset of rhe cap and pay off the SB Signings. If Trask doesn’t hit, then you’re bad enough to draft a QB high and start over.

Bowles needs to win, he can't afford to punt on a season with Trask

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bowles needs to win, he can't afford to punt on a season with Trask
That’s the diff between Owner/Gm PoV and HC pov.

That’s why I don’t see LV and Josh running with a rookie QB. They will acquire a veteran. His coaching future depends on it and he’s tied to the GM.

Licht in TB his fate isn’t tied to Bowles.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Gotta love all the non Raider fans defending Carr. You guys obviously didn't watch many games he played. Christ, Jarrett Stidham looked just as good if not better than him this year. Good riddance, should've moved on years ago.

Reactions: EpochLink

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Gotta love all the non Raider fans defending Carr. You guys obviously didn't watch many games he played. Christ, Jarrett Stidham looked just as good if not better than him this year. Good riddance, should've moved on years ago.

Agreed, Carr was always check down 5 yard outs when he was guessing if his receiver was open. Guy literally always talked a big game but couldn’t deliver.

That Pittsburgh game sealed the deal.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Agreed, Carr was always check down 5 yard outs when he was guessing if his receiver was open. Guy literally always talked a big game but couldn’t deliver.

Exactly. I defended him for a lot of years but this season was the final straw. They bring in a top 3 WR who happens to be his good buddy and his numbers get worse. Renfrow and Waller missing time didn't help but he still had an excellent offense around him yet managed to play worse than the previous year. I'm sick of watching him throw picks when it matters most along with folding up to take a sack once a bit of pressure is on him.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

For me it was the last game in Oakland that sealed the deal. Carr had moments after that and they made me wonder if I was wrong but I should have trusted my instincts. We were in a playoff race the week before that against the Titans and got boatraced while he was game managing. He threw the f***ing ball away on 4th down when he could have run for a TD and I've never let this go, this was like the low point for me as a fan, I've never understood how somebody could do this. We were still in it the next week against Jacksonville though, last game in Oakland. We were playing one of the worst teams in the league and this dude couldn't win one for the people? f*** outta here. The guy plays like a coward. Its only gotten worse since then too.

Like you'd think 'who cares about the last game in Oakland that's over now' well almost everyone who was a fan then remained a fan, this wasn't like when the Browns left Cleveland. That game hurt. I stayed in the East Bay on vacation last year and ran into a lot of people who gave me props for my stuff. That game meant something and this guy put 16 points on the board. There's been a lot of games Carr's played that hurt but that one probably the worst. Make no mistake most people think McDaniels sucks but so does this guy. I'm glad McDaniels pulled the bandaid off cause even if he goes away soon he dealt with a problem that badly needed to be dealt with. This org will soon be in better shape at QB than when he got here, maybe he'll still lose a lot of games but he dealt with the root problem. Every other coach we had would have been cool with keeping Carr until he was 40, they all said they thought they could get something out of him. Think about that. That's eight more years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Stat watchers.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Stat watchers.
I think people are just cool with the Raiders being out of the playoffs all the time. It means they're out of their teams way. Let's put it this way Carr played in as many playoff games as Jameis Winston. Any team that accepts that and lets a losing QB like that get old on their team should be kicked out of the league. The Raiders have great players and they've had other great players, there's one other constant presence in this situation. Now he's gone.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
For me it was the last game in Oakland that sealed the deal. Carr had moments after that and they made me wonder if I was wrong but I should have trusted my instincts. We were in a playoff race the week before that against the Titans and got boatraced while he was game managing. He threw the f***ing ball away on 4th down when he could have run for a TD and I've never let this go, this was like the low point for me as a fan, I've never understood how somebody could do this. We were still in it the next week against Jacksonville though, last game in Oakland. We were playing one of the worst teams in the league and this dude couldn't win one for the people? f*** outta here. The guy plays like a coward. Its only gotten worse since then too.

Yeah, that really hurt. In fact, before the Titans/Jags game we got absolutely smacked by the Jets and Chiefs. We were 6-4 going into Met Life Stadium to play the damn Jets and can only muster 3 freaking points. I knew we were heading into bad times because we had the Chiefs at Arrowhead the next week where we bombed bad.

His pressers were always depressing after a loss, 'it's on me, it's on me'. How many times have we heard that over and over again.

Heck, even before the season started that this was it for Carr if he couldn't get it done with one of the best receivers in the league. Adams had an all pro year and made the first team, Carr was benched.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. I defended him for a lot of years but this season was the final straw. They bring in a top 3 WR who happens to be his good buddy and his numbers get worse. Renfrow and Waller missing time didn't help but he still had an excellent offense around him yet managed to play worse than the previous year. I'm sick of watching him throw picks when it matters most along with folding up to take a sack once a bit of pressure is on him.

We invested a ton in the offensive line and it a was a really good one too. For about a 3-4 year stretch, it was one of the best in football.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Carr is better than Tannehill IMO.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

I don't think that anyone is thinking Carr is great or even very good, he is an average QB who has the occasional above average year, I think it is more of a case of knowing that the Raiders have shown to be a poorly run organization for a good while now, and while Carr is not a world beater, it can be a lot worse, look at what the Browns have rolled out at the QB position since they returned, or the Jets who seem to draft a guy top 5-10 every 5 years or so

The Raiders have been a mess for a while, 12 head coaches including interims since the last playoff win 20 years ago, Carr isn't the solution, but he is also only a part of the problem

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Let's just assume the Saints offered a pick to the Raiders for Carr, like some guys tweeted: Why would Carr (be under any obligation to) help his former team weaken his future one by waiving his NTC? The Saints will need any of their picks dearly, that won't change after acquiring Carr.

Gruß,
BSHH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Let's just assume the Saints offered a pick to the Raiders for Carr, like some guys tweeted: Why would Carr (be under any obligation to) help his former team weaken his future one by waiving his NTC? The Saints will need any of their picks dearly, that won't change after acquiring Carr.

Gruß,
BSHH
Saints want to get him under An agreement to redo the contract and not compete with other clubs. They have a lot of moves and contracts to make so getting Carr down at a specific number helps them out.

Wentz like Carr had one fantastic season. For wentz that was in year 2 prior to his acl. For Carr it was in year 3 before he broke his ankle. In the years since Wentz has gone downhill and now finally it appears teams are ready to not depend on that version of wentz ever returning. Probably past time for people to expect that season again out of Carr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad