Line Combos: Depth chart

WithThePass

Sep 28, 2016
Who do you guys have for the depth chart to start the season. I think Russell takes fayne's spot and fayne becomes the 7 dman and draisaitl on second line.

Last edited by a moderator:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So you've got:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Hopkins-Drai
Maroon-Caggiula-Puljujarvi
Hendricks-Letesnu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Fayne
Nurse-Davidson

Talbot
Brossoit

Bench: Sleplev, Lander and Pitlick

Not going to complain about your top six, but I don't see Puljujarvi making the team. He needs more time to get used to the North American ice surface and the style of play. He'll be on the 1st line and he'll be playing in all situations on the farm team, while with Edmonton his line would have to be somewhat sheltered and he'd be very lucky to get minutes on the 2nd PK unit, let alone getting any minutes on the PP.

He needs to get more comfortable. Versteeg will be taking that spot.

As for the defensive pairings, I think you forgot that we just signed Russel. If Nurse can really impress tonight and if Davidson and Nurse can look like a reliable shutdown pairing and if Russel and Sekera can make good use of their time in the offensizve zone that would look like a more realistic top 6 to me. Fayne gets to sit on the bench.

However if Nurse doesn't look solid as a rock Sekra-Fayne is a very realistic 2nd pairing and Russel-Davidson would be a likely 3rd pairing. Russel-Davidson could work because Davidson is solid defensively, but I have doubts about Sekera and Fayne being incredibly effective. Fayne is too slow and doesn't excel at anything well enough to bring anything to complement Sekera.

All hinges on Nurse looking good tonight, IMO.

WithThePass

Sep 28, 2016
Yes I would have Russell instead of Fayne. I set this lineup a couple days ago. Versteeg may take the spot on second line but I think puljujarvi is better than versteeg and I would give him the chance. I definitely want nurse to stick with the team need the size and grit.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
I am the only one who thinks Maroon should be playing with McDavid? This forcing Lucic with McDavid reminds me of last year with Hall and McDavid, it's not working. We know Maroon and McDavid work, and look pretty freaking good too.

Lucic Nuge Drai
Maroon McDavid Eberle
Pouliot Caggiula Kassian
Hendo/Pitlick Letestu Versteeg/Lander/???

Nuge's line takes the tough minutes. Caggiula has a couple bigger wingers so the Oilers don't get hemmed in the dzone or can cycle better in the ozone.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
Hey guys, fantasy league question. Is it a safe bet to say Caggiula will start the season on a regular spot with Edmonton?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Draisaitl
Maroon-The Drake-Versteeg
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson/Russell
Nurse/Benning-Davidson/Russell

Talbot
Monster

Is about what I expect.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Draisaitl
Maroon-The Drake-Versteeg
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Davidson/Russell
Nurse/Benning-Davidson/Russell

Talbot
Monster

Is about what I expect.

I think they might end up keeping Jesse up for a 9 game look, especially with there being no guarantee that Versteeg will be ready to start the season. Just based on McLellan's comments that he wouldn't be surprised if Jesse plays better when the games become less sloppy and more structured makes me think they'll give him a look with how relaxed our schedule is for the first 9 games.

My guess with Hendricks injured we'll see something like this on opening night for the 23 man roster:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Draisaitl
Maroon-Caggiula-Puljujarvi (or Versteeg if he's ready)
Pitlick-Letestu-Kassian
Versteeg/Puljujarvi - Lander

Klef-Lars
Sekera-Davidson
Nurse-Russell
Fayne

Talbot
Gustavsson

On a side note, I'd love to see a Pouliot for Lucic swap at some point, or even a Pouliot for Maroon swap. I like the idea of having Nuge centre 2 big cycle wingers in Drai + Lucic/Maroon.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Puritania has nailed the lineup to start. I think by Dec the lineup will be:

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Nuge-Versteeg/Drake
Poo-Drai-Versteeg/Drake/Pul
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian/Pakarinen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad