Tribute Denis Malgin

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
A lot of goods points being made here. Yes Malgin doesn't mean a whole lot to this team, and this is almost not thread worthy. I must say though I was so hoping this was an AHL trade and not one to address and NHL problem.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wouldn't you rather get a Marty St Louis every 200 years than never? Meanwhile, we scouted and signed Mikheyev this year and paid value to rent Kyle Clifford. Is pulling one middle six winger a year out of Russia enough, or should we be going for two? I guess, "Just scout good players lol" is some good advice.

A smart move is still a smart move, even if it's not likely to pay off, that's literally the point of expected value. This is tinkering around the fringes with 14th forwards on league minimum contracts, paying nothing and hoping to strike gold. This shit paid off a little bit last year with Tyler Ennis, who was a reasonably effective player. I really don't understand why these sorts of players piss so many people off. Yeah, Malgin is worth a nickel and we paid a nickel for him. Why is anyone mad that the GM is cycling through dime a dozen players until he finds the ones that are any good? Did the Vegas Golden Knights not teach you anything about how mind-blowingly bad NHL teams actually are at scouting? What Auston Matthews eats for breakfast today is more important than any of these guys over the course of a season and y'all are in here fishing for narratives and completely ignoring whether a strategy actually makes sense or not.

This isn’t making a lot of sense. There’s an opportunity cost in icing bad rosters stocked full of poor fits in the off chance you might unearth a hidden gem.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He will look great on the fifth line when the injured return. Perfect fit for his “game”.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This isn’t making a lot of sense. There’s an opportunity cost in icing bad rosters stocked full of poor fits in the off chance you might unearth a hidden gem.

He's the fourteenth forward. How many teams have good players as their fourteenth forwards? Boston has the aforementioned Par Lindholm, Brandon Leipsic has played 61 games for the Capitals this year. We'd obviously rather have a ton of good players, but we're down into the organizational weeds the fourteenth forward is going to be trash. There is not a single team in the league where the situation is otherwise. We're not icing a bad roster with scratch tickets, we shuffled our injury replacements around. When the Leafs are healthy, Malgin, Petan, and whoever is next in the carousel won't sniff the lineup, but you get guys who might be good to be your 14th forward injury fill in instead of calling up a 29 year old Marlie or a Mason Marchment.

It's really simple. The fourteenth forward is going to suck, so you might as well have a guy who sucks but might have some upside instead of a guy who you know sucks and has no upside. Malgin sucks, Petan sucks, Marchment sucks, Lindholm sucks, they all suck. Much to our surprise, Ennis didn't suck. Boom, it worked out. Shuffle the trash around until you find one who isn't trash. You don't want any of them playing, but occasionally one will surprise you through skill or fit. The alternative is loyalty to a scrub, which makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Didnt they sign about 15 13th forwards in the off-season?

Since those type of players are unreliable/not consistent its better to bring in as many as possible and see if one manages to click.

I dont understand why people expect these guys to perform like impaxt players - by definition theyre borderline depth/replacement level quality

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Maple Leafs Prospect Roundup: Matthew Knies is back, Marlies trio stepping up, Denis Malgin update

Quote from back in September, but I haven't seen it surface before now:
Denis Malgin said:
I had an offer from Toronto, but I wouldn’t have played there often. I’m only 24, I need a lot of game time. Moving to ZSC is the best step in my career to show what I can do.

Leafs did want him here, but he choose to go overseas to get icetime.
He has an NHL out starting this summer.

Also from the article, Malgin has 35 points in 32 games - one of the best U25 seasons in the past decade. Matthews, Damien Brunner, and Dominik Kubalik the only U25s to score at a higher rate since 2010

Cushman speculates Leafs will try and lure him over again this summer.

I've openly been a Malgin fan since before we traded for him, and was happy when we did. That said, while I think he should get more top6 opportunity, I'm not surprised he didn't stick as a top6 player.
If this year in NLA really did improve his game, it's only a good thing to have him in our pipeline. If he doesn't make it, then it seems like many people forgot about him/wrote him off anyway, so nothing really lost (I am really not upset about Marchment's two missing goals)! :laugh:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'd be happy to have Marchment back, you can't tell me he wouldn't be any better than Nick Ritchie if given the same opportunity.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'd be happy to have Marchment back, you can't tell me he wouldn't be any better than Nick Ritchie if given the same opportunity.

...but I can tell you that Dubas did what was 100% right for the player, at the time, and that's why Marchment is where he is now. Rather than playing 13th forward for us for the last ~2.5 years.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
...but I can tell you that Dubas did what was 100% right for the player, at the time, and that's why Marchment is where he is now. Rather than playing 13th forward for us for the last ~2.5 years.

Shouldn't he be doing what is 100% right for the team as opposed to the player? I don't take a lot of comfort in the fact that Mason is happy being a contributor of a divisional rival.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Maple Leafs Prospect Roundup: Matthew Knies is back, Marlies trio stepping up, Denis Malgin update

Also from the article, Malgin has 35 points in 32 games - one of the best U25 seasons in the past decade. Matthews, Damien Brunner, and Dominik Kubalik the only U25s to score at a higher rate since 2010

I've openly been a Malgin fan since before we traded for him, and was happy when we did. That said, while I think he should get more top6 opportunity, I'm not surprised he didn't stick as a top6 player.
If this year in NLA really did improve his game, it's only a good thing to have him in our pipeline. If he doesn't make it, then it seems like many people forgot about him/wrote him off anyway, so nothing really lost (I am really not upset about Marchment's two missing goals)! :laugh:
As a Florida fan, Malgin is a bit enigmatic. He had a couple of streaks for five to ten games where he looked like a good second line forward but then gets lost. I think his strength with his body size is a problem but I hope he turns it around!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Maybe it is not here, but the man 100% deserves another shot at a spot in the NHL.

Reactions: uncleben

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marchment has very little intimidation factor. He is an atrocious fighter and hardly does it at all. Without the toughness, I doubt Dubas signs Ritchie. Marchment would be a good depth player, but it's not necessarily between him and Ritchie. Sure he's a better player than Malgin.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Shouldn't he be doing what is 100% right for the team as opposed to the player? I don't take a lot of comfort in the fact that Mason is happy being a contributer of a divisonal rivel.
Big picture, having a good relationship with players on the fringes can be the difference between them signing here or elsewhere. Knowing that Kyle won’t bury them & their careers to just stockpile 13/14F’s 7/8D goes a long way to bringing them over.
The player knows that if they deserve a chance they’ll get it one way or another

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Big picture, having a good relationship with players on the fringes can be the difference between them signing here or elsewhere. Knowing that Kyle won’t bury them & their careers to just stockpile 13/14F’s 7/8D goes a long way to bringing them over.
The player knows that if they deserve a chance they’ll get it one way or another

Mason wasn't "brought over"

10 points in 13 games with a +10 for a divisional rival.....i'm sure Florida is glad he's such a nice guy.

Reactions: hotpaws and Zero1

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Shouldn't he be doing what is 100% right for the team as opposed to the player? I don't take a lot of comfort in the fact that Mason is happy being a contributor of a divisional rival.

Who's to say that wasn't the right move for the team? You don't think players noticing Dubas doing right by his players factors into future decisions? I believe we're already seeing that in some key FA signings - Spezza, Simmonds, Bogosian, Kase, Kampf. They won't all pan out but Dubas' rep as a GM players want to play for will be absolutely good for the team.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Generally I'd agree but I can't really say Semyonov was given much of a legit shot. Same for Marchment really. Barabanov - arguable.

Reactions: egd27

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Do not forget that Malgin was invisible when given a shot with the Leafs. And this wasn't an audition of a player just brought up from the minors or signed out of Europe, this was a player with 184 games of NHL experience.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021

Rodrigues over in Pittsburgh definitely suggests we shouldn't say no to another Malgin chapter (given the update)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Mason wasn't "brought over"

10 points in 13 games with a +10 for a divisional rival.....i'm sure Florida is glad he's such a nice guy.
Does the fact he was a undrafted FA vs. being a euro FA really change what I was trying to say? Around here management prefers to move guys who can play in the league, rather than burying them. I think that attitude has benefitted the team on the overall, it has netted us a few and frankly don't think Marchment would really have any more of an impact than Nick Ritchie has had up until now, and that would be about the ceiling for him. Nick has been an absolute disaster here for the most part, the only saving grace in this instance is that the cap hit would be lower for Marchment.

Reactions: uncleben

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Do not forget that Malgin was invisible when given a shot with the Leafs. And this wasn't an audition of a player just brought up from the minors or signed out of Europe, this was a player with 184 games of NHL experience.

I recall him drawing a couple penalties by being oblitered from open ice hits. But yeah, he's a 5'9 fringe NHL winger that turns 25 next week. Don't see him turning this ship around.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Around here management prefers to move guys who can play in the league, rather than burying them.
Yes, and I question whether moving assets for essentially nothing is in the best interest of the team.
Maybe it is, but I'm not convinced this strategy of "if it doesn't work out here, we'll move you" is all that appealing. Maybe if they are fringe players, they'd be better off signing with a team with more opportunity.

Reactions: Lumberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad