May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
united-first-economy-plus-exit-row-exit-doors-lavatory-galley-18733123.png

lmao

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Some in the media bringing up the Doctor's past and any convictions as if it is a reason that he deserved this. :shakehead:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Some in the media bringing up the Doctor's past and any convictions as if it is a reason that he deserved this. :shakehead:

You're right that the guys past doesn't matter here but he put himself in that situation. If he obeyed orders, none of this would have happened.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
UA has started the smear campaign. He did one thing 14 years ago reportedly not convicted and some media is showing it as proof of his lack of respect.

Dont care if his name was adalph. 69 years old and traveling with my wifr... i aint getting of the plane

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

quite an interesting past to say the least.

Doesn't change the fact that UA did something stupid. But sucks for him that all that got blasted over the WWW

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I don't know what's worse, what happened or how United Airlines is defending what they did and see little wrong.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Oh please.

Yeah, I'm sure when your parents take you on your next vacation and pay for it you're going to pout and refuse to go because booked a flight with UA. :rolleyes:

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
There were so many mistakes here.

- Overbooking a flight is not acceptable. I understand why they do it, but it's highly disruptive and should be viewed as a serious error and not just par for the course. If you have a ticket, you should reasonably expect to have a seat on the plane.

- Kicking out paying passengers to accommodate staff is COMPLETELY unacceptable. United's failure to properly staff their flights is NOT the customer's problem. Hire a charter if you need to, but the trouble of getting staff to the correct location should be a burden on the airline and not its customers.

- Moving ahead with boarding while stuck in this dilemma is pure insanity. Overbooking is an issue to be handled at the gate, not on the plane. I have never seen something like this happen while flying.

- Offering perks to get people off a flight is fine. I have done that myself and got 3 vacations for the price of 1. But offering a measly $800 and then going straight to a "lottery" is moronic. Offer $2000, $3000. Eventually someone is going to jump at the offer. It's not worth ending up in this kind of situation to save the equivalent of 2 tickets' worth of cost.

- Calling armed police to forcibly remove a passenger who is within his rights to be on the plane is wholly unacceptable. Police are not employees of the airline. At the absolute most, perhaps you involve the police as a matter of witnessing the process. But having them act as essentially hired bouncers for the airline is scandalous.

- Tazing the guy while he's defenselessly sitting there, I don't even know what they were thinking. There was nothing about this situation that could not have been resolved with the promise of arrest and a set of handcuffs. That officer should not be in a position to carry a weapon again.

United will lose millions and millions of dollars on this, and rightfully so. And if the CEO doesn't shut his trap about how it's the customer's fault, he should lose his job as well.

A billion dollars in market cap alone so far.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/11/united-airlines-ceo-apology-passenger-dragged-david-dao/

translation of the above statement

CEO to Lawyer "We offered proper compensation"

Lawyer--"What did you offer him"

CEO--"800 United Airlines dollars"

Lawyer "Did you offer to move him to the next flight"

CEO--"He could use the $800 UA dollars to pay for the trip and spend the rest on the sales cart."

Lawyer--Looks down and does the John Luc Picard face palm. "Are UA dollars equal to one us dollar?"

CEO--Pulls out a calculator "no"

Lawyer "How much"

Ceo "That is hard to explain"

Lawyer "You offered no legit compensation, turns our he is a doctor and had several patients to see Monday morning"

CEO "if it was serious they would be in the hospital already"

Lawyer--face palm 2 "are you a doctor?"

CEO-- No--what does that matter?"

Lawyer "Only a 600 million dollars wrongful death suit if the patient dies the next day"

CEO--really confused "How would it be our fault?"

Lawyer--makes note on a pad "We stopped his doctor from treating him. If the doctor was there and the guy died--we are off the hook. We stopped the doctor from getting there."

CEO "$600 mill from his family?"

Lawyer "And that is before the Doctor and other people sue us for trauma caused by this."

CEO "The police did it,,"

Lawyer face palm number 3 "After being ordered by flight crew."

CEO "does that make a difference"

Lawyer takes good shot of whiskey "Yep"

CEO "how big of a difference."

Lawyer closes his binder " I am really sad I have you for a client--I could retire on the lawsuit settlement alone"

CEO-- "That bad"

Lawyer "U B ****ed dude"

CEO -"How?"

Lawyer "He is doctor who was to see between 6 and 12 patients Monday."

CEO--"that bad"

Lawyer--slams his head into the table

regardless of stuff the Doc did 14 years ago--it has been confirmed he had several patients to see Monday--UA should have picked someone else

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
United Airlines is just one example of messed up late stage capitalism.

They were dead after 9/11, required a billion or so of bailouts and now is run like a insider-traded fiefdom by its officers and hedge fund shareholders.

If the idealized, fictional capitalism listed in the textbooks and believed by morons actually existed, Unired would have gone bankrupt. But in reality United has a death grip over many routes, and the small number of other major US airlines is just about as bad. Oligopoly? Cartel? It doesn't really matter as there's really no alternative. Driving absurdly long distances? Non-existent rail? If you need to travel domestically, you'll come groveling back to the high prices and poor, occasionally violent service of the airlines.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
thats ****ed up. good ol murica at its finest. Problem is people are all talk. they spew garbage on twitter and social media exclaiming I will never go to that airline again, go to that restaurant, shop there, blah blah and secretly they still do and life goes on.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
thats ****ed up. good ol murica at its finest. Problem is people are all talk. they spew garbage on twitter and social media exclaiming I will never go to that airline again, go to that restaurant, shop there, blah blah and secretly they still do and life goes on.

Modern day America. Where holding a sign or posting on Facebook is the maximum amount of effort put in to ... anything...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad